Demon Lord Plot Continues...

Zrothum

Evolution is simply change. Humans can modify and customize organisms at will. For example, take a crop of genetically modified corn. If this corn succesfully reproduces, then new genes (alleles) have been added to the population. Many genetically modified crops can and do mix with unmodified crops. Therefore the concept of a guided evolution is valid insofar as humanity is concerned. Additionally, manmade chemicals that have been introduced into the environment can change and damage an organisms DNA which can then reproduce and evolve.

Granted, most mutations are random. Some aren't. The science of genetics is relatively new and there are many forces at work that are not entirely understood. Science doesn't conflict with religion insofar as discovery is concerned. And the laws of nature are simply the laws of God.

I disagree that evolution is by definition an unguided process. In fact you will find most cannot agree on a formal definition for evolution other than change in an organisms genetic code over time. Also misunderstood is the concept of "survival of the fittest", which really implies net reproductive success rather than who has the biggest teeth and claws.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Evolution is simply change. Humans can modify and customize organisms at will. For example' date=' take a crop of genetically modified corn. If this corn succesfully reproduces, then new genes (alleles) have been added to the population. Many genetically modified crops can and do mix with unmodified crops. Therefore the concept of a guided evolution is valid insofar as humanity is concerned. Additionally, manmade chemicals that have been introduced into the environment can change and damage an organisms DNA which can then reproduce and evolve.[/quote']

Quite true... selective breeding of crops was an inspiration for Darwin, who applied that same principle of selection to nature.

I disagree that evolution is by definition an unguided process. In fact you will find most cannot agree on a formal definition for evolution other than change in an organisms genetic code over time. Also misunderstood is the concept of "survival of the fittest", which really implies net reproductive success rather than who has the biggest teeth and claws.

I shall amend my statement. Natural selection is by definition an unguided process... it selects for, as you said, what is most beneficial to reproductive success. There is no guiding here... whatever works for the environment is selected for, whatever doesn't is selected against. There is not an end result being selected for, only what works at that particular moment. For instance, mammals did not start having fin structures form because they were evolving into whales... they started having fin structures form because they lived along beaches already, and being able to swim better worked well. Eventually, after many generations, they became the first whales... but only because becoming whales was advantageous each step of the way, not because eventually becoming whales would be advantageous.

In short, evolution has no goal. It's an ongoing and never-ending process (well, never-ending so long as replicators continue to exist), not something building to a particular point. It is not being guided in a specific direction at all... unless you're taking the deistic point of view of things being started in motion at just the particular point where a fully deterministic universe would be known by the deity to provide exactly what has transpired. Which, as an unfalsifiable premise that provides no real explanatory power, I find entirely useless.

EDIT: Sorry for a bit of a resurrection... Fable 2's been keeping me VERY occupied.

Archived