Was fun, I guess.

mmajunkie

Well, I came and I saw and I failed to conquer the hunting game.

Just can't expect anyone to stick around and watch 5 people online and try to hunt solo almost all the time. Just don't have the time for it and definitely can't get excited about it anymore. Would have liked to play at 50 again and had some fun, but things are just too stagnant.

Not that my opinion matters too much...but I highly suggest getting rid of hunting almost altogether. For someone like me who can only play a little bit after work, etc...getting to 50 is an utter nightmare and completely takes away from the game. Hell, I can't even get out of 30s.

Do away with hunting bonuses altogether and just make solo hunting give as much exp as 3 person parties would. You still get a benefit from 3 person parties because of the speed, but makes up for the pbase deficit when solo hunting....Make the exp on quests a lot higher, give out hourly exp bonuses, idk...but if I was a new player, I would not have even lasted a couple hours here. No one to play with, no one to hunt with...what does this MUD have to offer a new person that logs on right now? I've RPd with IMMs and gotten no RP xp bonus (which I think was a great idea in theory...but doesn't seem to be getting used)

Glad to see some familiar faces are still around. Glad to see the MUD is alive at all, honestly. Maybe I'll try again when time permits, but as of right now...it just isn't happening. Would take me a month to even get to 50....to play with a handful of people.

Good luck to you all.

Do away with hunting bonuses altogether and just make solo hunting give as much exp as 3 person parties would. You still get a benefit from 3 person parties because of the speed' date=' but makes up for the pbase deficit when solo hunting....Make the exp on quests a lot higher, give out hourly exp bonuses[/quote']

I agree with this actually. You might find it funny, but the immortals doubled the XP we get from hunting like a month ago. The sad thing is that when you hunt alone, you get bored so fast.

That being said, I personally have no problems with hunting... but when I think about it, 90% of the time I hunt alone, so that might be a problem itself.

I fully agree with taking away the bonus.

And something I would suggest (but would be way to complicated to implement) is something of a job system that would help you gain ranks quickly.

It may sound stupid if you can't imagine it like I can, but it could open up so many fun things for new and experienced players alike to enjoy.

I fully agree with taking away the bonus.

Not taking away, but giving it to solo hunters too :P

And something I would suggest (but would be way to complicated to implement) is something of a job system that would help you gain ranks quickly.

No no jobs, please! I work enough in RL already, to have a job in a game too :P

A real catch 22 going on with FL, unfortunately. :(

We desperately need players, but because we have so few, our new players and returning ones alike are driven away by the lack of hunting parties and people to interact with in general.

I really wish there was an obvious solution that kept some of the challenges of getting to 50 and at the same time alleviated the monotony and hopelessness of it.

Yes I am aware of the doubled exp. That's a help, but it is not much in the scheme of things. I could kill something alone and get 500 exp...but then have to sleep for 6 in game hours to be able to kill another one.

I could roll a warrior, or a monk, or any other high dmg/good defense class and easily solo'd to 50.

But, I don't want to play one of those classes and I shouldn't feel forced to do that just because our pbase doesn't support the model of this game's leveling system anymore.

Bmage, invoker, cleric, etc...pre-35ish ranking is ridiculous. Can it be done? Yes. So can climbing Mt Everest. This game is and has always been designed to be played at 50. Hunting, in my opinion, was more suited to build character relationships, RP, etc. It also made you "work" for a 50 character.

We can keep that same rule...50 isn't a freebie. However, more avenues need to be added to get there since 3-party hunting just really isn't feasible anymore for the majority of the existing players...and it is most likely the #1 turn off of new players.

I agree with Zrothum. I recently returned and most of my characters have been solo'd to early 40's and then I can usually find level 50 players to help. Leveling is so EASY when you have a party of 3. Problem is a party of 3 is an unusual thing from levels 20-42.

The experience bonus is awesome. I don't want to beat a dead horse with a stick but Zrothum is right, soloing is not worth it when you have to rest after every kill with pets or not.

Even if you are joking/just poking fun...don't just take this just as an experienced player whining.

Really, if I was a new player, I would have quit just as fast as I had begun. It IS a cause for concern just as much, if not more, than it is me bitching because I can't have my cake and eat it too.

Do I realize getting to 50 is, has been, and should always be somewhat of a challenge? Yes.

Do I honestly, without personal experience involved, think that the game's current state does not make our current leveling system optimal for new players and C/C classes? Yes.

Do I want an easy way to 50? Not at all. I've had more 50s probably than anyone who plays this game. I'm infamous for having a new 50 every week or so back when I played this game a lot. I am used to the challenge of leveling/training/surviving amidst 30 players online.

But things are different now and I am not one of those in the SMALL group of people who have a lot of time to devote to this game. I get to see the game from a new vantage point and in an attempt to make this game thrive, albeit in my own special disliked way, I am just pointing out something that deserves to be taken under advisement.

If people have ideas about alternative ways to get exp I would be interested to hear. We've been trying to give the RP bonuses liberally when we see it (to make it 'worth' the time in hunting), but obviously we're only a few people.

What I'm reluctant to do is simply offer exp more easily. The easier it is for people to get to 50, the less a character means to someone. I don't want to dilute the experience when you finally get there, but we also need people to be able to get there.

Ideas?

I really think making the exp you get from hunting the same across the board would be a great idea. The benefit from a 3 person party would be the speed at which you kill stuff. While leaving the exp the same...that way when I have to solo hunt on my lvl 18 cleric, resting for hours between each kill isn't so bad. --- As I already mentioned this...I'll assume you do not like it? This idea does not make it any easier to get exp. I'd be getting it faster if I had 2 others to hunt with...why should I be punished just because the pbase doesn't support me having a 3 person party?

RP awards -- As if the IMMs didn't have enough on their plate...maybe more emphasis could be put on this? I had Imm RP interaction on a toon of mine and I RPd a lot to make myself stand out and never received the RP exp award that I thought was available.

Now don't get me wrong...I'm not sour about it. But I do think if the tool exists, we should be using it.

Quest exp relative to quest hardness. Ever tried killing Brambus at level 12? That hired guard is a beast......not to mention after doing 20 quests....you get a little burnt out. Lucky I can do them quickly...a new player though?

Maybe something like...achievements?

Congratulations, you've reached lvl 10!! DOUBLE EXP FOR THE NEXT 30 MINUTES!!!

Congratulations, you've completed 10 quests!! Here's 6k exp!

I'll post more as I think of them. I'd love criticism/feedback so I know what you lean towards more, don't really like, etc.

Make random pcs give quests (that may or may not stack in this suggestion) that give high xp rewards, but can't be spammable. So like... say you get an easy/medium quest for a hard difficulty's reward. Kind of inspired by some current quests, I was thinking it could be more often, and it might make the game seem a bit more interactive too. So it's not the same npc every time you reroll a new character. So if you're just walking around, a random mob/npc might be like... a devout worshiper whispers, "Hey name, if you could bring this trinket to a marmalade cat, I'll teach you some things." What the cat could do with the trinket, I have no idea...

Also, is there any way we could tweak the quest code?

Killing a tough mob and waiting outside my guild to turn it in because I'm bloodied.......and then having a clan quest completely overwrite it is kind of a bummer. Especially if that clan quest is something you can't even complete.

I already posted the idea that a pet bought from the shop could count as a PC for purposes of experience.

-Joe the Warrior

-Chelsea the Thief

-A Alsatian

Would be the same as a part of three PC's. Much easier to get one person to group than two.

Or just go with the idea of making experience the same if you have three, two, or are soloing. You still have to put in the same amount of work, you just don't have to wait for other people.

Maybe it is your approach, how many hours in a week are we talking? Does this include any wait time for possible qrace apps? I have little problem banging out a char to level 50 fairly quickly. Yes three party groups make it insanely easy as the xp bonus is really awesome right now. If you play during hours were that is not possible, I can see a bit of your frustration, but keep a good pet handy, get the soldier when you can, the big one from up on high, he is super for hunting solo. Some classes, especially mages will have the hardest time with solo though, just because of their general lack of tank-ability (this is aside from a battlemage of course). I wish you luck and if you have any questions, feel free to pm me, maybe I can offer some pointers you have not thought of.

I think Zavero is on to something. In FL you get a group of 3 and you hunt to gain ranks. The problem is that groups are few and far between. Instead of inventing a whole bunch of hoops for people to jump through for chunks of EXP, why not just have a Mercenary Camp in Rheydin where you can hire NPC's to act as group mates. Maybe have warriors, priests, and mages so that you can get a decent group no matter what class you are.

Warrior can tank, maybe make it so the mob does not target you in this case. They dirt, bash, and kick.

Priest will pray random cures, blesses, armor, shield, sanctuary.

Mage will cast affilctive spells.

The Mercenaries you hire will be equal to your level, and will not ever engage other PC's under any circumstance.

At least this way you are always guaranteed a hunting group.

There would need to be some nifty code so that you could not use the Mercs for anything but ranking.

I already posted the idea that a pet bought from the shop could count as a PC for purposes of experience.

-Joe the Warrior

-Chelsea the Thief

-A Alsatian

Would be the same as a part of three PC's. Much easier to get one person to group than two.

Or just go with the idea of making experience the same if you have three, two, or are soloing. You still have to put in the same amount of work, you just don't have to wait for other people.

Only problem with that.. what if you had three players AND a pet.. then it would be like a group of four. You'd get less exp..

Only problem with that.. what if you had three players AND a pet.. then it would be like a group of four. You'd get less exp..

Negative boot licker ;) . I am sure they could make it to where you would not lose experience if you have 4 in the party.

It isn't that bad for someone who knows what they are doing perhaps. To a new player having to grind leveling out is ridiculous. Personally I don't have much trouble leveling. Everyone keeps screaming about more players but if you won't cater to new people you won't get new people.

I think Zavero is on to something. In FL you get a group of 3 and you hunt to gain ranks. The problem is that groups are few and far between. Instead of inventing a whole bunch of hoops for people to jump through for chunks of EXP, why not just have a Mercenary Camp in Rheydin where you can hire NPC's to act as group mates. Maybe have warriors, priests, and mages so that you can get a decent group no matter what class you are.

Warrior can tank, maybe make it so the mob does not target you in this case. They dirt, bash, and kick.

Priest will pray random cures, blesses, armor, shield, sanctuary.

Mage will cast affilctive spells.

The Mercenaries you hire will be equal to your level, and will not ever engage other PC's under any circumstance.

At least this way you are always guaranteed a hunting group.

There would need to be some nifty code so that you could not use the Mercs for anything but ranking.

Sounds like guild wars mercs, works for me.

Archived