The cut throat "single" player attitude

'tarako

It. Is. Not. About. My. Characters. I typically make it known early on who I am and what Im about. Trib druid, anti god half drow, slith ninja. These chars wherw rolling the moment i hit 50. I can typically handle it, ive rage deleted sure, but i usually just deal with it. I'm speaking about what I've witnessed first hand. I've watched the super decked chars ignore each other, then chase after a fresh pinn. I got looted after being killed while linkdead and the eq was just left in cabal. Again, I do not log out, I don't rage delete if I'm committed to the char, I shut up get eq and get back in the fight. I don't need lessons on how to deal with the game. I'm just offering my opinion on the concept of mutual respect. If someone just hit 50, you don't need to camp healer island waiting to see if they get herbs. You don't need to wait outside the arena while they get steel coifs. You have every advantage; eq, cabal skills, you're in a groove with your pvp. Toss out some rp about your beef. Don't just make it about eradication from day 1. Let their be some depth, give them a reason to play beyond running off, and hiding in some remote corner of the game waiting to logout. This is our game, all of us. It isn't mine, it isn't yours, it isn't anume's. It is ours, so even when you disagree with a character, you have to make it more than "I'm gonna kill you til you never come back". I don't care if it's your rp. If your rp is kill everything I disagree with, you need to read a few books and expand on your character concepts.

@Lexi @'tarako @Seravin 

If anyone feels like they are being 'bullied' or targeted unfairly, please bring it to my direct and personal attention. I guarantee you any players found responsible by the imm staff will regret it.

However Aabahran is a dangerous place. You can't be healing knights or killing raids and not expect those opposing cabals to come after you ASAP. Thats your business. Keep your head down and you might make it through but want to make a name for yourself? Be prepared to fight.

20 minutes ago, Ulmusdorn said:

@Lexi @'tarako @Seravin 

If anyone feels like they are being 'bullied' or targeted unfairly, please bring it to my direct and personal attention. I guarantee you any players found responsible by the imm staff will regret it.

However Aabahran is a dangerous place. You can't be healing knights or killing raids and not expect those opposing cabals to come after you ASAP. Thats your business. Keep your head down and you might make it through but want to make a name for yourself? Be prepared to fight.

My main complaint is when the threat is tied to making your character quit. Controversy and conflict are awesome character motivation.  They give you driving long term forces for play. My complaint is when a characters clearly stated goal is nothing more than kill them, loot the body, rinse repeat. It happens, I've seen it, and often enough had it happen. I understand looting a piece or two from a tough, tough fight. But a recent example is mordred was easily 3 or 4 rounding me, looting consumables he can't even use, just to drop them in cabal (this was months ago, not a fresh wound just a personal example I can use). This doesn't serve any purpose but to kick someone who's clearly down. I was getting spite looted of cabal eq after eating 2 or 3 deaths on the day. This happened multiple times, to the point I didn't even bother trying to get any eq, because it was just sacced if I died, and I was hunted while trying to get level 30 basics. Again, this IS NOT about just me. Yes my personal experience is a factor because it's just more evidence of a larger movement. I don't hate mordred, he's playing a character. I'm saying that the attitude of destroy a char relentlessly, and without hesitation, caused me to delete. It has caused many, many, people to delete. It caused me to leave discord, it's caused other people to as well. I want to see the game thrive, and people love their time here. That will never happen if 20% of the players think utterly destroying people is not only an option, but something to strive for. Reserve this type of hatred for someone who truly deserved it. Not just someone who killed an elemental in a raid, or someone who.helped an evil, or someone in an opposing cabal.  I understand FL is an unforgiving place, and that's half the fun is the danger/challenge. We also have to acknowledge that behind every character is also a player who should be a valued member of the community. You don't just stomput me one into deletion because you disagree with them.

5 hours ago, Cephirus said:

The game is never going to be fun for everyone. I know what you are trying to get at, but if players have an attitude that they are just going to give up and delete, why should I care? They aren't willing to really commit to the game and be invested in their character if they are willing to just throw it away at a moments notice. Your investing your time, but if you are willing to just delete like that, it seems like you don't value it very much.

This so much. Some ppl just delete the first time something upsets them. Because they lose to someone less skilled than them, because they got their special super rare unique item saced, because they got their first real full loot on the char. Because they thought that dual wielding axes is the pawn and losing after jumping someone more skilled. Because they couldn't get T in a week.

We come a long way from the wild west that 2000's was, but ppl have become soft.

Its freaking ridiculous. I had 4 ppl delete after being in pk with me this year and I'm one of the tamest player in the game.

Also forgot to say this.

Please don't go about decking new players in gear/desolation eq. It just spoils them where they start thinking they can't compete unless they got a god suit. It makes them a priority target for other players, it decintivates learning to gear up after a harsh loot and how to fight in crap gear.

Stuff we all learned back in the day.

When your gear come by tooth and nail tou tend to make a real effort to not lose it by learning how to keep it. Even if its fleeing early or just old plaing begging it back.

5 hours ago, Cephirus said:

The game is never going to be fun for everyone. I know what you are trying to get at, but if players have an attitude that they are just going to give up and delete, why should I care? They aren't willing to really commit to the game and be invested in their character if they are willing to just throw it away at a moments notice. Your investing your time, but if you are willing to just delete like that, it seems like you don't value it very much.

I think this is really the root of the problem. Like When I say I am not connected to a character I dont mean I hit 50 in the 6-10hours everyone seems to be able to do so in. My 2 most recent characters spent 30 hours getting to 50, and then another 40-50 hours at 50. That's 70-80 hours, or ya know not a small amount of time in literally anything else, Hell basically every major RPG that comes out aims to have half of that amount of time in stuff to do. 

But because people play characters for 300+ hours essentially means that because I dont want to, no one gives a fuck because "I am not committed".

Are you kidding me I just spent literally 80 hours of my life on a SINGLE character and suddenly I am less of a player? 

FL 1.0 Group Stockholm Syndrome.  

I don't joke about this.  It's real.  It comes down to whether or not people are willing to put in their time and are having an enjoyable experience.  That's subjective.  It's not about what this place is or is not.  It's not about hard coded pk flags or how "dangerous" this place is.  

If the position still remains that there's a RP reason to hold people down and make them miserable because it's in your RP, then I suppose it's time I peace out.  That's not a mature way to handle it. It's what I'm going to do to enjoy myself though.  I'll be deleting my characters.  

Everyone that has that need to be top dog and bring back the nostalgia, enjoy yourselves.  

9 minutes ago, Valek said:

FL 1.0 Group Stockholm Syndrome.  

I don't joke about this.  It's real.  It comes down to whether or not people are willing to put in their time and are having an enjoyable experience.  That's subjective.  It's not about what this place is or is not.  It's not about hard coded pk flags or how "dangerous" this place is.  

If the position still remains that there's a RP reason to hold people down and make them miserable because it's in your RP, then I suppose it's time I peace out.  That's not a mature way to handle it. It's what I'm going to do to enjoy myself though.  I'll be deleting my characters.  

Everyone that has that need to be top dog and bring back the nostalgia, enjoy yourselves.  

I am not sure it has escalated quite far enough to delete everyone quite yet. But there is a reason why for every character I am a little attached to I play and level 3 or 4 to 40-50 and delete them super quick. When you can do something at level 10 and get a note saying that so and so is going to hunt you down for life and as quickly as possible. It really feels like people are just taking a very thinly veiled RP as an excuse to go murder hobo on level 42's. I get that its just "talk" or whatever but legit when it happens on 4 out of 4 characters, feels real wrong to me.

• Implementor

As to killing pre-pinns / fresh pinns: most decked elders will not bother with this (why waste their time) unless that person mouthed off to them or threatened them or actively griefed them when out of range. In that case, I'd go after them too. Rp should have consequences. If you want to be left alone, keep a low profile until you are ready.

I think this whole post a bit odd coming from tarakko. Just from my personal pov: it is not ic if you actively help goodies on an evil unless your motive is something your evil gets out of it. I get wanting to help players, but that can be done through "hidden" advise just as well. Also, not all people are willing to take advise when they just have been defeated. Another point to consider is that rp can come over as aggraviating or condescending or patronizing very easily if you actively give advise on how to kill you. This also causes some players to simply log off bc they lose immersion.

If you just looted someone, they are upset. Understandably so. So statements like I'll hunt you down till the end of my days should be taken with a grain of salt. If there really develops a problem, you can always post on prayer.

3 hours ago, Anume said:

If you just looted someone, they are upset. Understandably so. So statements like I'll hunt you down till the end of my days should be taken with a grain of salt. If there really develops a problem, you can always post on prayer.

As tenebris I've got fairly solid reasons for doing it. The cycle is served better when there are more decked killers. Decked people are more willing to fight, they are less likely to just log off when it gets rough. So yea, confusing but well within bounds to equip people to see more people willing to fight the couple people tenebris wanted dead. More decked people = more dead people. And if people take pk advice as condescending, not much I can do about that. I've never given out purposefully bad advice. It's been all in an effort to improve the overall gamestate.

Maybe it is bad rp for tenebris to deck out everyone I meet in game, but I'm sick of seeing 3 people on who list. I'm so tired of the one sided warfare. How long has it been since 2 cabals had balanced pvp vs each other. I was alone in trib for 2 months, in that time 2 tribs rage deleted, and a couple militia just died off. I watched 3 watchers mercilessly shit on someone until they just quit the game. Not even that they where just beating them. They would kill him, and I watched them looting magic sparklers, and sac consumables on a char that didn't even know to use cabal outfit for eq. There is nothing anyone can say that's gonna justify that. Nothing.

Basically it comes down to the fact people willingly choose to be here. If people are being shit on, and there only reward is getting constantly slaughtered, they won't choose to be here. It isn't a matter of8 harden up, it's just disrespectful at a player level to relentlessly destroy the same person daily forever. I don't care how pk starved someone is. I realize it's an awkwa4rd scenario, as the char in question may be opposite yours. Leilana, and tenebris, is a good example. Lexi stated she struggled vs mages, naming tenebris as the most frustrating char to fight. I stopped making our interactions about pvp, and they became about deeper rp. We still occupied the opposite ends of the spectrum, but I never felt the need to try to grind her into nothing. I might have been able to, but the game was better because she logged in, and her efforts where rewarded with meaningful interaction and a well played character that, when she let it go, was generally well liked.

I don't want to see fl turn into nothing, but if we keep acting like into ok to just destroy players without them ever having a chance that is what's gonna happen. 

I really don't understand what this post has turned into?  Is it I'm upset because I got looted and don't know how to re-equip post?  Is it I mouthed off to the wrong people IC and then got spanked for it IC and it should'nt have happened like that post because I should've been better with my character post?   I have never once felt threatened in this game ONCE in all the times I've played this game.  I've gotten my ass handed to me on multiple characters.  Ive handed out spankings on the few characters I actually know how to play.  Want to make it in this game?

Suck it up!  Or this game is not for you.

Also If you have been bullied by another player that is a different.  Nobody should feel like someone is threatening them.

Writing a note saying your going to go against a Cabal and then you getting your ass handed to you because you wrote that note is not bullying.  Thats the game.  Don't write the note if you don't want smoke!!

Theirs usually two sides to every story. And lately your posts have given the impression that you are all-knowing. I hope you can tune it down a bit. FL is a collaborative effort and as stated numerous times, not for everyone. Specific examples of bullying should be reported directly to the imms from those involved. I've always found this the best way to resolve issues without treating anyone unfairly and jumping to conclusions without evidence or knowing both sides of the story. Its posts like this that devalue the game even though that may not be the actual case.

Archived