The Clash of the Tower

Malchaeius

Savant Wars: A New Hope + Mortuus strikes Back

By: Abacien

There I was, quietly collecting equipment that Sirant judged me worthy of. I knew that Trigomonis walked the lands. We had fought to an impasse just the night before. I was hoping to find something to tip the scale in my favor. Then I met Caramis for the first time.

“Llyros, brother elf, would you help me? I am in sore need armor and weapons.”

We spoke as I requested from those that would aid my crusades. Many people in Thera will help the pure of heart. And soon, I tried to seek the Knight. However, he could not be found. Trigomonis was chasing him. I could not let that stand.

I went to Caramis quickly and formed an alliance for a time. We set off for the greenest forest and sought wares for the struggle against darkness. Then, a figure appeared before us and the room was filled with magics. Together we fought back against the dark drow and weathered a storm of plague, poison, and unholy curses. Weakened, Trigomonis fled the woods, as did we.

Quickly, the voices of my dark-hearted colleagues invaded my mind:

Mortuus: [Why do you aid the Knight? Continue to do so at your own peril.]

Malog: [stay away from both the Knight and the one who assaults him.]

Mortuus: [For your actions, I will kill the Knight.]

Llyros: [You hold no seat and have no position that allows you to order me about so.]

Mortuus: [My power give me position. Malog and I have given you an order. Adhere to it or be destroyed. It is quite simple.]

Llyros: [if you assault the Knight, I too will be assaulted. Face the consequences of your actions if you wish.]

I warned Caramis of Mortuus’ threats and told him that the necromancer was seeking his death. We spent many hours resting and healing. He had been wounded physically while the power of my orb had been depleted during the battle.

While the Knight rested, I managed to open a portal to the drow and engaged him. The air was thick with tangible magic and many of the denizens of the dwarven forest ran for their lives. My spells flared around him viciously while some were reflected back upon me. Nevertheless, my barrier held firm and protected me. But he is crafty and wily. Trigomonis quickly fled and disappeared into oblivion. I could do nothing but return to my friend.

After a bit, we decided to travel east, past Miruhvor even. I began incantations that would open a portal to the dark-knight mercenary that roams the streets of the dark city. We stepped into the portal, but my less than perfect enchantment led us to a stone giant mercenary… in the service of Mortuus who was asleep. He had yet to quit his threats. He continued to threaten my fellow elf and myself even as he slept. I figured it was time we discussed things.

I woke the necromancer. But before I could speak, he launched himself upon Caramis. The dark mage’s spell did not push the Knight into unconsciousness and so the battle commenced.

There we were: Caramis, Mortuus, his beastly beasts, and myself. Mortuus had attacked Caramis. I could do nothing but sigh in disappointment. I was not surprised, but I truly was let down that a Savant would be so violent. There was not much time for thinking as I was drawn into combat.

Mortuus was spewing vile acid at Caramis while I summoned the power of lightning against the mechanicals. Caramis fought valiantly but was unable to ward off the onslaught of undeath aimed at him. I do not know why but Caramis died. Perhaps he was distracted or unprepared. He fled battle but was unable to get away from the necromancer. Mortuus and I continued our fight. But shortly after the Knight fell, Mortuus disappeared while his creations dropped around him.

Mortuus, gifted in the art of politics, immediately began blasting me for my actions from his hidey-hole. He tried to discredit me in front of Malog. While Malog’s opinion means nothing to me, he would be another voice in Kuntab’s ear. He twisted the facts so superbly that I almost thought that I initiated the battle. I do not know if Malog believed him or even cared. He probably would be glad to see me leave the tower regardless. His black drow heart cannot like to see an elf in the tower.

While the necromancer bickered and split hairs over the ways of Savant, I surveyed the area. Caramis’ corpse lay amongst the corpses of lizard men and the bits that were left from Mortuus’ golems. It was a horrible sight. Many of the corpses were mutilated. They were either charred by fire and lightning or melted by acid. A thin layer of ash and soot covered the ground and the bodies. The smell was staggering. The sickly-sweet smell of burnt flesh mixed with the scent of death and nearly emptied my stomach. This is the first time that I could stop and look at the aftermath from a battle. The ethereal form of my Knight friend soon returned and gathered what was left of his trappings. No sooner had he finished this than Mortuus attacked me.

Mortuus spoke one word, grzzs, and we went at each other. It was the same battle as before except the Knight did not fight by my side. Mortuus and I seemed to be evenly matched except for one thing. His spells would not penetrate my shield and he had no such protections from me. I summoned a raging inferno around me. I did not like him sneaking in and trying to do things to me. We traded incantations, Mortuus with his diseases and I with my fires and storms. Bathed in pure magic, he fled knowing his life was escaping him.

As I tried to catch my breath, Pali appeared in hopes of resurrecting Caramis. Alas, he was too late and the corpse was gone. After Pali healed me, we went our separate ways. I traveled Thera alone for a bit. Mortuus and some unknown figure dogged my trail incessantly. I hoped to avoid fighting with my colleague and I wanted to put off fighting Trigomonis until I found away to break the stalemate. I was given no opportunity to do these things and disappeared from the lands in order to gather my thoughts and prepare a letter to those who would be interested in the events of the day….