A Message and a Tale: Vaerlin and Onero

Volgathras

• Implementor

Vaerlin is resting here.

Onero nods his head and removes his hood.

Vaerlin sits in silence amidst the foliage, peering unto the green grass beneath, lost in his own thoughts. Abraxas, his winges companion, rests within his lap, dozing.

'I have heard of you though several adept. Might I detain your services?' Onero says calmly.

The little dragon perched on Onero's shoulder hisses 'Don't listen to him!'

Onero seethes, 'I said quiet you!'

The little dragon shuts its mouth, but glares daggers at Onero brooding.

Newander Park

Surrounding your senses are rows upon rows of thick, rich oak and white

pine trees. A soft, gentle breeze blows in this large park, causing the

leaves and needles to rustle gently. The grass here is hand hewn, and cut

neatly by the town's ranger guild. You are overcome with a sense of

serenity.

[Exits: north]

Vaerlin is resting here.

Vaerlin gasps with a start as you and the little dragon draw him from his silent reverie. 'W-what,' Vaerlin says, blinking those incandecent eyes, drawing them unto you.

'I'm sorry,' Vaerlin says, 'I was... miles away.'

Vaerlin stands up.

Onero begins again 'I have heard of you through the adepts of Rheydin. I would retain your services'

'Don't believe everything you hear,' Vaerlin says with wry tones, though his features remain neutral. 'Though, perhaps I can help in some regard.'

The night is about to end.

The little dragon, recently removed from it's perch upon Vaerlin's lap, coils around his ankle as the mage stands.

Vaerlin says 'What is it you require?'

'I require one skilled with the pen. Considering Manhean wishes to sleep, I have come to you' Onero says evenly.

As the sun rises, the churchbells of the Temple of Light announce the dawn of a new day.

The little dragon on Onero's shoulder seems to fidget nervously.

Vaerlin lifts a brow in curiosity toward you. 'I may have some prowess with a quill, but if your aim is to have the words widely destributed, I am afraid I no longer have the authority.'

Vaerlin's protective shield dissipates.

Abraxas quits Vaerlin's side to approach you, taking tentative sniffs up at his own guardian dragon.

Onero shakes his head slowly then meets your eyes with his own. 'The intended party is to read it and them alone'.

At that comment, the little dragon begins to fidget even moreso, nearly stumbling from Onero's shoulder in the process.

'I see,' Vaerlin responds. His fingers drum against the carved make of his blackwood staff in consideration. 'It has been a long while since last I took up a quill, but I shall help you. If you like.'

With a sharp look to the dragon, Onero says 'Be still!' then addresses you once again.

Vaerlin looks at you.

You say 'It is a matter of this one's master. Have you messanger that can transverse the mortal plane?'

Vaerlin nods to you, indicated the small dragon at his heels. 'Abraxas carries such missives when required.'

Onero leans in closely to you, whispering as he speaks, 'That is good. May he fly swift then for others will try to detain this missive' as he quickly eyes the little dragon.

Vaerlin's brows furrow at the conspiratorial tones, but nods all the same.

Vaerlin says 'What is it you wish sent?'

Onero says in hushed tones 'The Demon Lord Volgathras must receive notice that his minions mission has failed'.

At that, the little dragon leaps from Onero's shoulder to the ground, screaching 'NO!'.

Vaerlin takes a step back, peering with wide eyes unto the furious little dragon.

Snatching up the little dragon with his blackened hand, Onero holds it tightly while he says 'Quickly. Before he breaks free'

Abraxas, too, hopes back toward Vaerlin, emitting a quiet - though decidedly hostile - hiss.

Vaerlin fumbles through his pack, acquiring a quill and parchment from it's depths. Quickly, he pens the required words.

The little dragon thrashes vehemently about, Onero scarcely being able to hold on.

Nearly Onero's entire frame is lifted and the little dragon's movements become more and more violent.

Onero says through gritted teeth. 'Quickly

The little dragon breaks free, only to be snagged by Onero's other hand and dragged towards his chest.

With the final period penned, Vaerlin rolls the parchment and hands it to Abraxas. The little dragon appears to nod with silent understanding, and launches itself toward the heavens.

Leaning his entire weight forward, Onero covers the little dragon's with his mass.

As Vaerlin watches, Abraxas rises ever higher toward the roiling clouds overhead. The rumble of thunder can be heard reverberating through the city.

Onero breathes heavily, 'Your to late now little one' as he lifts himself off of the little dragon.

A brilliant flash of lightning, striking Abraxas square on! Vaerlin winces against the flash, peering up in to the sky to see his messenger is nowhere to be seen.

A messenger hands you a scroll marked "note"

'It is done,' Vaerlin responds. 'Abraxas delivers it now.'

[ 13] Vaerlin: Onero's Request

Mon May 24 02:09:47 2010

To: Immortal Volgathras Onero

Despite my lengthly absence from writing, I am penning this missive at

the behest of Onero. His wishes it known to the Demon Lord Volgathras

that his minion's mission - whatever it may be - has failed.

Vaerlin.

A bolt of energy arcs from the little dragon's snout, blasting the area where Onero once covered it. It says through a snarl 'WHAT HAVE YOU DONE!?'

Onero merely cackles at the little dragon, his entire frame jiggling with it. After a moment, he says 'Forced your hand, little one'

Vaerlin brandishes his staff against your guardian's rage, the energy flowing about him loike a rock in a stream. The mage stands slightly crouched, shoulders bunched in tension.

Onero nods to Vaerlin, 'Now we'll see what will become of a failed minion'

The little dragon crouches, staring daggers at Onero. He seems ready to pounce at any given moment.

Another flash of lightning strikes mere yards from the two, and from the small, smoking crater crawls Abraxas. He bounds toward Vaerlin, stopping at his charge's heels.

'What is this mission,' Vaerlin says, 'If I may inquire?'

Onero turns his face to you, though his eyes never leave the crouched little dragon, 'If I knew that, I wouldn't have had you force his hand'

The little dragon snarls 'You know nothing Onero! And now you've only brought this one into your problems!'

Vaerlin reverts to his normal, languid stance, leaning against his staff as the two argue.

Onero's laughter could be heard all the way to the bar. He wipes a tear from his eye as he says, 'That's if you survive little one'.

The ring of flames around Vaerlin dies out.

The little dragon says 'I'm not the one in peril, Onero. You'll be seeing your error soon enough!' as he then sits upright sharply and begins preening himself.

Abraxas hops in to the air, taking flight momentarily only to alight upon Vaerlin's shoulders. He curls around the mage like a shawl, his eyes set upon his preening counterpart.

'Curious,' is all Vaerlin says, chewing on his thin lip.

Onero chuckles to you as he relaxs visibly, 'Such a display! And all for nothing.

Puffs of smoke trail from the little dragon as he snorts once, flashing Onero a quick ad deadly gaze.

'I would not underestimate the gods and their lackeys,' Vaerlin responds.

Onero holds one finger upat the remark. 'They have underestimated me many a time' he says as he gestures towards the little dragon. 'Haven't you?'

The little dragon only grumbles, not even bothering to look up at Onero this time.

You cackle gleefully.

Onero peers intently at the little dragon. 'So quiet now?

Vaerlin only drums his fingers upon his blackwood staff, silen himself as he ponders the situation he finds himself in.

Charidene walks in.

Charidene fills the barrel with water from a magical spring.

Charidene says 'Greetings.'

Charidene walks north.

Vaerlin turns his attentions on to Charidene, nodding his head in amicable greeting. 'Salutations,' the mage responds.

The little dragon does not reply, but only stares daggers back at Onero in brief intervals.

'Or not,' Vaerlin says at the warmaster's retreating form. A shrug, and his attentions return to you and his pouting dragon.

Onero shakes his head, 'Now that was entertaining

Vaerlin lifts a hand to pat Abraxas upon it's scaly head. 'I suppose I was lucky, considering your relationship with that little one.' Vaerlin nods at the dragon.

Onero nods in agreement, 'You and I both. I've suffered enough under the guildmaster and its taloned hands'

Vaerlin says 'Though I imagine the circumstances were not entirely disimilar in how we acquired our guardians.'

You say 'I would beg to differ'

You say 'HIGHLY so'

'I would be interesting in the tale,' Vaerlin says.

You say 'If you wish to hear of how a monstrous form came from the heavens and stormed the Halls of Sanctity, I would tell you the story'

By means of an answer, Vaerlin settles his lithe frame once again upon the ground. His eyes remain set upon you.

Onero shrugs his shoulders and says, 'If you wish, then'

'I was but an adventurer, walking the lands and seeing the sight' Onero begins.

Onero opens his arms wide 'All the world was open to me. I went where I pleased and did what I chose.

Onero narrows his eyes, his countenance darkening. 'One day, I chose to visit Gruell, to see if I might have a prayer bestowed upon me

Onero claps his hands together suddenly, 'And that is when He came'.

Vaerlin sits in apt silence as you speaks, nodding occaisionally to denote where his attentions lie.

Onero says 'His appeared from nowhere, his mass filling the entire room' as he again opens his arms wde.

Onero shakes his head, as if remembering something, 'The air was acrid with his pressence'.

The sky is getting cloudy.

You say 'He pointed to me and called me arrogant. To walk the lands without his express approval.'

It starts to rain.

Vaerlin blinks as the tale proceeds, cantering his head as his mind sets pictures to the words.

'It was then he pointed his clawed hand at me and said 'I am not a god, I am -THE- God' Onero says with remorse.

Onero pauses a moment, as if to gather himself.

The night is about to end.

Onero says pleadingly, 'You see, I had no idea at the time. I was no priest, no adept. Just a wanderer travelling'

'As were we all. It is not unlike such cosmic powers to prey upon the ignorant,' Vaerlin says with a sagely nod.

Onero nods in agreement with you 'It is now I understand this, but then? I thought him God'

Vaerlin nods his own understanding of your predicament.

Onero The little dragon seems to have crawled his way closer to Onero, though not near enough to be a threat.

You say 'It was then that it happened. The acrid smell overwhelmed me and when I awoke, the pressence was gone'

You say 'Gruell was there, he witnessed the powers coming and going.'

'He told me I had been given a gift. A divine audience.' Onero says with some hesitation.

'A rare thing,' Vaerlin admits. 'At least for most.'

Onero says evenly, 'It was then he offered to tutor my blessing and took me in an adept'.

'However, before we even began our first lesson, the skies opened and reality shifted' Onero says making a circle with his hands above his head.

Vaerlin watches as you casts his arms in display.

Onero then glances at the little dragon now at his feet, and slowly drops his hand. 'And this one shot from the heavens to latch upon my arm, knocking me clear across the Halls'.

Relest rides in.

Relest looks at Vaerlin.

Relest looks at you.

Relest smiles, 'Hello there.

Onero lowers his arms slowly, seemingly exhausted. 'I won't even tell you what transpired since then' he adds quietly.

Breathing heavily, a bead of sweat runs down Onero's face.

Vaerlin then turns his eyes toward your dragon, regarding the beast as one might a poisonous snake.

Relest says 'I hope I do not intrude.'

'Salutations,' Vaerlin returns, with a welcoming nod toward Relest.

Relest slowly sits down in the grass.

Onero looks up at Relest, his face looking haggard and tired.

Vaerlin says 'Onero was just telling me the story of how he was given this...'

Relest looks at you.

Relest taps his chin, 'Hmm.

Vaerlin motions toward your dragon.. 'Little hellion.'

Relest glances to your dragon, 'I see.

Onero looks from the dragon to his arm saying quietly 'Hellion is not near the words to describe it'

Relest chuckles politely.

Relest says 'In a good or bad way?'

Abraxas, still upon Vaerlin's shoulder, watches the exchange with some interest. After all, the focus of their discussion is his kin.

The little dragon seems to snicker at Relest's remark and then adds 'I think Onero means I'm bad'.

Relest tilts his head slightly, 'Ah, I see.

Relest says 'Are you bad, little dragon?'

Vaerlin grins at Relest's admonishing tones.

Onero winces slightly, cradling his blackened arm.

Relest says 'Hmm, did I say something wrong?'

The little dragon narrows his eyes, 'Ask Onero. He will tell you'.

Relest seems to measure you up and consider your size.

Onero says quietly as though nearly completely spent 'The term 'evil' cannot begin to describe him'.

Relest says 'I see.'

'I am unaware of the entire situation myself,' Vaerlin says toward Relest. 'But from our brief exchanges, it would appear the dragon has nasty alterior motives.'

Soundlessly, Abraxas nods at Vaerlin's comment.

Relest says 'Some dragons do I suppose.'

Relest says 'Like people.'

'Wise words,' Vaerlin returns.

the little dragon snickers at that comment 'Why thank you Onero, Vaerlin ad even you Abraxas. You pay me such honor'

Newander Park

Surrounding your senses are rows upon rows of thick, rich oak and white

pine trees. A soft, gentle breeze blows in this large park, causing the

leaves and needles to rustle gently. The grass here is hand hewn, and cut

neatly by the town's ranger guild. You are overcome with a sense of

serenity.

[Exits: north]

Relest is here, sitting astride a warhorse.

Vaerlin is here.

Abraxas rises some from Vaerlin's shoulder, snorting in reply. Tendrils of lightning snake from his nostrils.

You rest.

Relest taps his chin.

The little dragon merely snorts at Abraxas, crawling his way up Onero's blackened arm.

Onero seems brighter a moment and says almost cheerfully 'However, that all may end once his master finds out about his failure'.

'What do you suspect the demon will do,' Vaerlin asks.

Relest listens as he thumbs through a few letters.

Relest stands up slowly, 'Well, I fear I must be moving on. Be well.

Onero rubs at his double-chin in thought a moment with his good hand then answers 'Either one of two things. Either torment will await this one or.....'

Vaerlin nods his head toward Relest. 'Always a pleasure, honored Herald.'

Relest turns and heads north.

Onero doesn't seem to wish to answer, instead lowering his head he he looks to be nearly asleep.

Onero raises his head with effort to look at you. 'I don't want to think of the alterior choice'.

'Well, I suppose time shall tell what shall come of the missive,' Vaerlin responds. It is then he, too, rises as though to make an exit. 'In the mean time, I shall take my leave.'

Vaerlin says 'I fear I must return to my own experiments.'

Onero nods his headonce, before looking completely exhausted. He seems to fall asleep before your very eyes.

Vaerlin blinks as you appears to collapse. He shakes his head, saying in nigh inaudible tones, 'So it is when the gods meddle in the affairsof we mortal folk. Rest easy, you. I think you'll need it.'

Then, Vaerlin turns, heading toward the nearby library.

Vaerlin walks north.

Heavy breathing is heard coming from Onero, and the little dragon chimes in quietly 'He will indeed'.