to sound like, each urgent pulse a sudden and fading gasp for life. Slowly

your eyes begin to clear, and the heat begins to become unbearable. Before

you and around you is a large and mutilated eye.. Its sinewy and bloodshot

veins ripple from the inside. You are inside. There is no air here, and

you begin to double up, and silently asphyxiate. Though it seems just an

illusion, as it blinks it seems to focus... As if watching you. A dark

presence resides here.

[Exits: none]

An enormous throne governs the chamber, bleeding freely.

Volgathras is resting here.

You can't do that here.

Xterro falls from the position he was sitting in to his knees. 'My Lord.'

'Hello, puppet,' Volgathras coos from his throne. Taloned fingers are tented beneath his chin as he regards you.

Eyes averted, Xterro says, 'How may I serve?'

Volgathras rises, approaching you with a slow, predatory gait. 'Do you know why I have summoned you?'

Xterro shakes his head, his eyes remaining lowered. 'I do not, my Lord.'

Volgathras walks through circuits around you, hands clenched at the small of his back. 'I have given some thought to your request. To be a son of the rift.'

'Tell me,' Volgathras hums, stopping behind you. 'What do you think it would mean, to become demonkin?'

Xterro inclines his head, taking a moment to collect himself before he speaks. 'It would mean the ability to rid myself of the weaknesses that are implicit in human nature.'

Xterro continues, 'It would mean power, unlike anything I have ever known before. The power to become great - perhaps greater than all, save you of course.'

Volgathras appears to consider your words a moment, a silent presence at your back.

'And it would mean being your servant, utterly and truly. Your acolyte in this world.' Xterro finishes with a reverent sigh.

Placing his hands upon your back, Volgathras whispers in to your ear - a sound all honey and dark promises. 'Rise, puppet. Take a seat upon my throne.'

Xterro lifts his head for the first time, and without hesitation, settles himself gently upon the throne.

As you find station upon the throne, it's flowing rivulets of blood congeal around you, locking you in place! Volgathras, meanwhile, removes his vellum-bound belt, wrapping it around his knuckles.

Volgathras stops using a vellum-bound cincture.

'Weakness,' Volgathras growls, flexing his knuckles, coaxing a tight creak from the belt. 'You -are- weak, Xterro, hardly worthy of my attentions.'

Xterro lowers his eyes, sitting utterly still in his chair-shaped prison.

Without warning, Volgathras *LAUNCHES* forward, laying in to your chin with his belt-wrapped fist! A sickening crack reverberates through the area!

His head slamming into the back of the throne, Xterro nearly blacks out from pain. Moaning, he barely maintains a tenuous grip on his consciousness.

Volgathras grabs your chin, wrenching your head up. 'Your weakness makes you worthless, slime. One punch and you nearly fall? What use do I have of you?'

Xterro winces at the pain Volgathras' grip on his jaw causes, but manages to utter, 'I am worthless, until you tell me I have worth.'

Volgathras snorts derisively, releasing his grip upon you. But the respite is temporary, for his retraction is only preparation for his next strike; a stunning blow to your sternum!

Xterro groans loudly, a *POP* coming from his chest as several of his ribs crack.

Volgathras turns away from you, flexing his hand. 'A pathetic excuse for a thing you are. Demons do not waste time with mindless drivel. A son of the rift is action! Self-reliance! STRENGTH!'

Volgathras removes the belt, pulling it in to a loop. Turning, he lashes you across the face!

Xterro recoils from the lash as much as the throne will allow him to, a line of blood rising on his face where the lash breaks the skin.

Xterro croaks out through what is clearly agonizing pain, some blood dribbling down his cheeks, 'I am weak. But I can be strong.'

Volgathras pauses in the midst of another blow, allowing the make-shift whip to fall. 'And power, puppet? What shall you do with the gifts I can bestow?'

Xterro whispers softly. 'I will serve you. And I will have... fun.'

Volgathras lifts a curious brow toward you. 'Fun, you say. What sort of... fun?'

Xterro grins weakly through the blood that continues to run freely down his face. 'A murder here, a robbery there. And enough ink to write about it all. I will enjoy myself, in my efforts to please My Lord.'

The answer appears to please Volgathras, and the belt is returned to his waist. 'And how shall you serve me, worm?'

Volgathras buckles a vellum-bound cincture around his waist.

Xterro coughs twice, and clears his throat - an action he quickly realizes was a mistake, as it wracks his jaw with pain.

You say 'I will enhance Chaos wherever it can be found. I will sow the seeds of Discord where they are not already. And I will strike terror into the hearts of all.'

Xterro chuckles softly, ignoring the pain his laugh brings. 'I will prepare a veritable feast for you, Lord.'

Volgathras casts his hand in dismissive fashion, and at the gesture the throne relinquishes its hold upon you.

Slipping off the front of the throne, Xterro falls once again to his knees - the same position he first appeared in.

Once again the Demon speaks, his voice a soothing hiss. 'Come,' Volgathras says, opening his arms. 'Embrace me, as your lord, and as your brother.'

Placing one hand on the ground, Xterro pushes himself upright. Again, no hesitation, he accepts the command and moves to embrace Volgathras.

Volgathras takes you up in a gentle hug, drawing you close. Though as he does, the demon unsheathes his mighty blade, plunging it in to your gut!

His jaw dropping open, Xterro makes a soft gurgling noise. For the first time, he looks directly into Volgathras' eyes.

Volgathras' red orbs peer deeply in to your own. 'This weakness cannot be permitted to serve me.'

Volgathras steps back, the sword still lodged in your stomach. A veritable storm of orange, crackling lightning snakes over your form.

Xterro shudders, held aloft by some unseen force, the sword sticking out of both ends of his mid-section.

'Thus,' Volgathras says, 'You shall be reborn. Stronger. Worthy.' As he speaks, the sword is removed of its own accord, falling with a clatter to the ground.

Head sinking to touch his chest, Xterro remains somehow aloft. His eyes flicker, as he swims on the brink of unconsciousness.

Volgathras takes a step forward, his jaw opening, distending as a snake's might. With a heaving *wrrreetch* he vomits into your gaping wound, a stream of pure vellum pouring forth!

Xterro shudders one final time, as the stream of vellum strikes the hole in his gut. And then his eyes close, as the blackness threatens to overtake him.

As the vellum fills the cavity, broken bones mend, ripped flesh is restored. Volgathras shuts his mouth to halt the stream, yet the coursing energy still proceeds to perform its dark purpose.

'It will take time, puppet," Volgathras says. "Yours is a body unaccustomed to such power as I have given you.'

[Volgathras] 'But soon... very soon, the change will be complete. And you will be my servant, entirely.'

Head snapping up, Xterro looks once more into Volgathras' eyes. 'It shall be as you say, Lord.'

Volgathras takes your hand, drawing you to your feet as your body continues to heal from its recent wounds. 'Rest, brother. You will need it for the tasks ahead.'

Xterro utters softly, yet firmly, 'I exist to serve.'

With those final words, a dimensional tear 'RRRRIIPPS' open beneath your feet, casting you into the chaotic flows of the rift! As your vision falters and fades to black, the last thing you witness are Volgathras' dark eyes watching, almost tenderly.