RP Log: Canticus Daemonium

Volgathras

• Implementor

The below is a log of Laelanis communing a prayer to Lloth, drawing blood from Aleas. I have edited the log to tell the tale through his eyes, as to make the emotes less troublesome for the reader.

Laelanis says 'State your name.'

You say 'Aleas'

Laelanis says 'Aleas, human creature of song and shadow, for what do you seek the knowledge of the Rift?'

You says 'I seek for information reguarding the Canticus Daemonium. '

Laelanis says 'Demon Song of anguish and chaos, of flame and void. '

Laelanis chants in her native tongue something you can't quite understand.

As Laelanis continues, her chanting increases in volume.

Laelanis says 'The tithe must be paid. The price drawn from the sieve of your flesh.'

Laelanis chants once more, and suddenly you feel a pulling at your chest!

You begin swaying to the rhythm of the chanting.

The room grows frigid but for a moment before a pounding headache takes hold. The chanting of the Matron, Laelanis, has become a blur of words and madness!

Aleas sways faster, drunk with the mood of the ritual.

Several spiders spring from the shadows, and white marks appear on the drow's skin. Laelanis opens her eyes, not a pale white. Her chanting stops and she exhales, the sound a mix of agony and ecstasy.

You say 'Matron?'

Laelanis is lifted in to the air in a spiralling flourish. At all once, the room about you seems to fall away, spiralling into the black void where your feet now rest.

You peer around the void, taking in your new surroundings.

The chanting resumes, and the spiders around Laelanis break their form, revealing grotesque creatures with mixed features of spiders and drow.

Laelanis speaks, though the voice is not her own. 'You trespass in a world you don't belong, mortal.'

You say 'I seek something, something i desperately desire.'

You say 'I seek information on the Canticus Daemonium, '

Laelanis speaks, though the voice is not her own. 'Desperation has brought you to an end. Tell me now why I should not feast on your flesh?'

You say 'Because I think this song needs to be sung, I think you want it sung, for why else would one of your plane, contact me.'

Suddenly, webs sprout from all sides. Countless tiny spiders skitter about around you. They crawl up your legs and over your face, and some even beneath your skin. The form of Laelanis forms a twisted

smile.

Laelanis speaks, though the voice is not her own. 'And this Canticus Daemonium... what does it mean to me, hmm? What do I get from you singing this song?'

You say 'You could get power, you could get a chance at existence in the mortal plane, who knows what will happen when the song is sung.'

The form of Laelanis erupts with a cold, murderous laughter.

Laelanis speaks, though the voice is not her own. 'Canticus Daemonium... to hear the cacophony of despair it spreads in the ears of the mortal men... '

You grin evilly.

You say 'That sounds very much like music to my ears.'

The form of Laelanis holds out her hand, as if gripping something. Again, you feel the tug at your chest, and the frigid sensation returns.

You shiver uncomfortably.

The form of Laelanis begins to chant, and your very soul resonates with a tune you recall, and yet do not know. 'Umbr tormentum et chao trabea, Intorquens foeditatem alienavit,'

The form of Laelanis begins to chant, and your very soul resonates with a tune you recall, and yet do not know. 'Ab igne conflavit dolor, Vesana, uti dissonantes cohibentes,'

The form of Laelanis begins to chant, and your very soul resonates with a tune you recall, and yet do not know. 'Labe, corruptio! O mortales putamine, Devolvat terrores omnia inferna!'

You say 'Hmmmm'

As the last word reaches your ears, pain erupts from your insides. You try to scream, but hear no sound. The form of Laelanis cackles a diabolic laughter.

You double over in pain.

You stands straight again.

Insects crawl over your mind, and the darkness about you twists and contorts. Through your madness, you can hear the form of Laelanis speak a name. 'Fortissicant'

You slowly shakes your head, clearing the foggy feeling.

You say slowly. 'Fortissicant.

A jarring feeling threatens to split your mind apart, and suddenly you find yourself back at the Shrine of Discord, the familiar chanting of a quite normal Laelanis filling your ears.

You stumble as reality returns.

Laelanis breaks from her chant. 'I see.'

You say 'Such was the power of your Goddess?'

Laelanis says 'I can see her mark upon you, Aleas.'

You says 'Was that vision or reality.'

A whisper echoes through the area. 'Reality is such a fickle thing...' Laelanis does not seem to notice it.

You say 'Now that it has passed, I find I have trouble recalling all the details.'

Laelanis says 'Perhaps all were not meant to be recalled.'

You say 'I think you are right, I shall have to scribe the details down that I remember and go from there.'

Laelanis says 'It seems you found a name. It would appear that such was all you were meant to glean. '

You say 'Aye, but that was such an important morsel to glean.'

Laelanis nods.

Laelanis says 'You have done what many mortal men have tried before and failed, then.'

Laelanis says 'To see beyond the walls of this world and return unscathed. Mostly, anyway.'

You rub your chest gently.

Laelanis lets on the first trace of a knowing smile.

You say 'I remember this very well.'

You say 'I appreciate this opportunity.'

Laelanis says 'You have your name now. Go, and sing your song of murder to the mountain skies.'

You grin evilly.

You say 'There is much work to be done before I'll have the pleasure of singing their song.'

From below on, the point of view is of Laelanis.

Aleas walks west.

A soft voice intrudes upon the silence. 'I had no idea you were so talented, Matron.'

Laelanis says a prayer to Lloth, a wry smile forming on her lips.

You say 'Lloth has given me gifts to use. I do as she wills.'

The voice - soft, almost a hiss - slithers through your mind. A smooth, silken kiss. 'I see. Lloth.'

[Volgathras] 'So it is she who names the kin now. Through her... voice, I suppose.'

Laelanis shudders at the voice.

The figure is wrapped in shadow, only a few pale pieces of flesh visible. A pallid face, devoid of any distinguishing marks, peers at you from the darkness.

You say 'I do not presume to know what gifts or curses she has given the human.'

Cold, black eyes fix upon you. 'So good of your Lady to see to my children. In my own shrine, as it were.'

The weight of the Prince's gaze sends daggers through your mind.

Volgathras's chaotiz gaze scratches you!

Laelanis attempts in vain to maintain a stoic face.

Soft steps echo through the shrine as the Prince circuits, the shadows surrounding it clinging like a cloak.

You say 'I take it then, that you are far from pleased with my Mistress' will?'

The Prince pauses, an easy smile coming to its cold features. A smile that doesn't touch the eyes.

[Volgathras] 'Oh. Well. Your Lady of Spiders, she and I are cut of the same proverbial cloth.'

[Volgathras] 'But then, I find it surprising that she would stray. Yes. Surprised that she would... interfere... with me and mine.'

The Prince lifts a pale hand to indicate the surroundings. 'Aabahran, that is. Mine.'

[Volgathras] 'One may be lead to assume she is making her move.'

Though the smile remains on that pale face, the light behind those coal-black eyes never changes. The same, endless void. Locked on you.

The Prince shrugs. 'Or,' it states, 'Alternatively... perhaps it is only you who chose to stand within my shrine and presume to name my children.'

Volgathras's chaotic gaze wounds you!

Laelanis watches those cold eyes, waiting for the sign to give flight, or if it is safe to linger. Finding no such sign, she continues on despite herself. 'I do not presume to know her plans, nor to name your children.'

[Volgathras] 'Which one is it, Matron?'

[Volgathras] 'So I am incorrect then, in my assessment. What transpired here was... what, then?'

[Volgathras] 'For I swear I saw the power of a rival creature evoked in my very... own... house.'

You say 'I merely chanted a prayer to The Spider Queen. If something else were to have transpired, it would appear it was not meant for me to see.

Volgathras moves closer to Laelanis, that smile ever present. Unmoving. As the Prince draws closer, your skin begins to crawl uncomfortably, as though assailed by a thousand tiny insects.

'Really,' he hisses, those dead eyes unflinching.

You say 'Quite.'

A few moments pass in silence, the lord of discord a madly grinning statue inches from your face. And then he steps back, consumed again by the darkness of the shadows.

[Volgathras] 'Well, what an embarrassing misunderstanding on my part then.'

[Volgathras] 'The best to you and yours, Matron. Lloth and her brood are undergoing a period of change, as I understand it.'

Laelanis shows no small sign of unease.

[Volgathras] 'A difficult undertaking. I... pray... you take care of yourself.'

The smile draws wider, and this time a dangerous sort of mirth glints behind those dead eyes. 'It's a dangerous game, after all.'

Laelanis nods. 'As best as The Spider Queen allows.'

Volgathras' form dissolves erratically in to non-existence.