Spyware, Malware, Etc..

disgai

I figure we have a whole lot of IT type people here so let me ask your opinions. Everytime I click something this stupid website pops up for surveys or antivirus stuff like ransomware. So far I ran Spybot Search & Destroy, Adware, Adw, Malwarebyte anti-malware and some other anti-virus-spyware prog. Nothing is getting rid of this friggin thing and its noticeably slowed down my computer. Norton itself is sorta ransomware in my opinion, same with mcaffee (I swear they MAKE viruses to increase sales *puts in tinfoil hat*) What FREE programs do you guys/gals recommend?

Avg is awesome and is what I used before picking up Windows Essentials which does the same thing but uses far fewer resources. I also keep Spybot, malwarebytes and adwcleaner for some tricky traps. Also highly recommend Revo Uninstalled free version to find and demolish any hiding third party installed programs. (Pesky toolbars etc)

I'm basically the comp cleaner for my own business and I'm by no means a professional mobile tech, but I also never have a hint of a virus on any of my machines.

Tldr;

Windows Essentials

Spybot

Adwcleaner

Malwarebytes

Revo Uninstaller

I checked addons/plugins,cleaned cache, cookies, temp files. FOXX your response was of 0 help hehe, but thanks for the..input. I stream brand new movies, shows, etc. online so I run into the browser hijackers. I've had avg free beforeand didn't care for it as much, I'll try it again. it seems they all take out different ones.

Unless its changed in the last few months - AVG free is available without restriction - they just auto enroll you into the paid product for 30 days for a free trial - and then you have to downgrade after that.

Glad AVG worked for you - I used it for years - but found it a bit bloat heavy and a memory drain - so I switched to Avast - and have had no complaints.

• 1 month later...

Malwarebytes could not defeat what I had, which was a trojan that seated deep into the registry. The nice thing about hitmanpro is that it runs from an external server and does not depend on your compromised machine to diagnosis itself. As such, it is robust in addressing viruses built to integrate into your system.

Edited by Mali
  • Like 1

Put your computer in safe mode and run the programs, safe mode only lets the most important programs start up.. the reason most prpgrams can not find ypur virus/malware is because it is seeded in a program that is running, which stops the virus search pass it by. Maleware bytes is one of the best programs i have used, and i still have the free version.

• 3 weeks later...

Tl;dr

Since you seem to have high risk internet behavior, you need to install these browser plugins: Adblock. Noscript.

You're welcome. :)

EDIT: I'd also like to put my vote for Microsoft Security Essentials, one of the best ones out there and very lite on resources. Honestly it's better than just about every antivirus out there, even the paid ones.

Edited by Mudder

If you don't want to spend money you have to do extra work:

AVG Free Edition

Malware Bytes

Super Anti Spyware (try the top two and add if necessary).

If you are happy to put your hand in your pocket AVG Internet Security is quite good.

L-A

• 10 months later...

One way to secure yourself some: Linux in a virtualbox. Especially if you fancy those adult sites. That's a barrier which wont be crossed over that easily, if at all. If your linux in that closed box somehow gets infected, you can get rid of the infection by just trashing the hd-image.

For all Firefox-users, I as well would suggest NoScript. If you don't fancy all the whistles and bells in it, just set "allow scripts globally", and it will still give you an extra layer of protection.

Edited by F-3000

BitDefender is king. Everything else is subpar. Avast is actually terrible. AVG is about 289% more resource intensive than it needs to be. Malwarebytes (free) does not work for viruses, and was never intended to. Everything Norton, Synaptec, and MacAfee should be removed. Those are not your friends. Those are predatory AV Scanners which are only still on the market because of a terrible business decision made by HP/Dell/IBM/etc. in the early 00's which requires them to ship their pre-built desktops with whichever of those garbageware virus scanners they signed contracts with. And now, because those are household names for AV Scanning, it's bad business to stop including them. Clueless end-users are stuck with terrible AV Scanning by default, and it really sucks, especially when those companies have built their AV to be all but impossible for the average home user to fully uninstall, which then sabotages their computer when they try to run their newer, better AV software only to have the grotesque MacAfee zombie eat its face and prevent it from either running entirely or just running properly. 

tldr - Install BitDefender. These other suggestions are, no offense meant, not great. Avast is about half as robust, and AVG about 2/3rds (at nearly twice the research consumption).