Bards, Crusaders, Blademasters [5/11/2015]

• Implementor

thac0 (which some may think as offensive/defensive values) have been decreased in all three classes.

Blademasters were inherently more defensive, and more offensive than a warrior and vampire COMBINED. This has been changed to reflect a thac0 similar to warriors and vampires.

Bards have been reduced to their own thac0, just beneath thieves and ninjas as rogues, and a good bit above mages, like clerics and shamans.

• Like 2

THAC0 only affects AC pass/miss, not actual defenses, right?

So we are back to older values of bards?

And back to dual wield problems for not decked 60 hitroll bards.

Shouldn't be much of a problem, because dual wielding on a bard is worse than wielding an instrument in 2 hands.

Even if you offhand an instrument.

At least it will help most high AC opponents, like mages :)

Thanks for the information.

• Implementor

Bards thac0 is still lower than it was before initial changes (lower = better). You won't see a huge difference. 

mya here is correct. thac0 determines how easy it is to hit someone through their armor class, and constitutes a small amount to your own thickness of armor class. A thief's -AC at 200 for instance won't be the same as a bard's at 200, nor will it be the same for a thief trying to hit a cleric or a bard hitting a cleric (thief will hit more and pass -ac more, as opposed to bard a little less).

Atticus a crusader can get to -700 ac. I doubt this is gonna have far reaching effects on them.

With all due respect, we have characters that are getting -800 to -900 ac without being a QClass. The possibilities have become drastically different in the past few months/years with the introduction of new equipment. That high level -ac is no longer exclusive. Its obvious as certain characters are already achieving this with relative ease. Why is this an issue? Because no matter your hit/dam you can't hit them.

I agree with the Crusader change, but more so just for High Sight. That particular path was obscenely strong. The others? I'm not so sure if a blanket nerf was the appropriate course of action.

Does thac0 determine how well you defend* or how well you penetrate defenses, or it's just how well you penetrate the AC after you've penetrated the defense?

*Defend includes parry/dodge/dual parry/weapon block/shield block and(or) other similar.

thac0 determines how easy it is to hit someone through their armor class, and constitutes a small amount to your own thickness of armor class.

"it's just how well you penetrate the AC after you've penetrated the defense"

It just gets converted to zero damage when you fail.

The miss is zero damage verb. If a spell also does zero damage, it also "misses".

It's quite ingenious.

Edited by mya
  • Implementor

For what it's worth:

These aren't blanket changes. They were changed after numerous tests and me snooping pretty much every single time I was online (in conjunction with coding what I could in the new changes Volgathras and the other staff has come up with on Heralds). I didn't make these changes lightly. I made them with the intent to balance.

You can't actually believe that there wasn't anything wrong with crusader thac0, just as no one can tell me they didn't want bard changes (they didn't like how strong they were either). Blademaster changes to thac0 just happened to be something I glanced over, saw how incredibly low their thac0 was (if you'd like to know, it was -20, as opposed to -10 on warriors/vampires respectively) and changed it with the intention of slightly balancing them.

All but the players playing the classes listed will be happy, unfortunately, since it directly affects your character. If it doesn't affect you, however, and you fight and/or continually have problems with said classes, you're more than happy to agree with the change.

Can't make everyone happy. I just ask that you trust me while I try to balance things that the playerbase has continually disputed the last 10 years as 'too powerful' and 'overpowered'. Don't beat me up yet.

• Like 2

I dunno it kinda feels like I'm wielding a wet noodle against a brick wall with everything I do in melee. And for that matter it feels like none of the fancier stuff I try on other classes ever seems to really go my way either.

Is it just me or does anyone else in the "mid tier" let's say feel like there's been power creep over the past...I guess it would be a combination of player knowledge, some of the new items, and consumable stockpiling but it feels like some of the stuff I am throwing at people just gets shrugged off and last I remember (4~) years ago I should be doing something. Over a few classes, and with melee, magic, a wide range of spells and abilities.

I don't really have any PK logs to point to specifically, but hey, maybe I should keep some for once and see what I come up with...

I do think in every respect the game has gotten a LOT better, and I'd wager if I had been playing continuously for as long as some of the current PK ballers have been now I'd be more up on what it is I'm just not getting for whatever reason. However the notion of facing -700 to -800 AC, or even a -500 AC Ogre Ranger, really does terrify me I won't lie. Is 80/80 hit/dam the cool new thing now?

Stepping back into the ratmaze is dangerous business, old friends.

EDIT : I should add that I'm enjoying FL a lot more than I have in the past, and PK isn't the only part of the game by any stretch of the imagination. PvE is a lot of fun and RP is great too, lots of stuff you can do.

Edited by Hegemony
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...