• Implementor

I think I may have finally found the cause. 

For as long as I can remember since the change to the new server when we had some DDoS issues, we've been running the MUD under the root user to curtail any issues with permissions etc. 

I ran the test instance of the MUD through the regular non-root user, so I could edit and add files easier, making it seamless in testing. 

I decided very recently to do the same on main so I could read stack core files when there was a crash and not have to sudo the root and get erroneous errors. 

I changed the group ownership of all files to the non-root user and I guess some files didn't get read/write permissions. More importantly, files in the /gods/ dir which kept up with immortal pfiles weren't writable. So when an immortal did "force all save" it crashes the mud because it couldn't write immortal files. 

So I booted up GDB (I had no idea permissions were the issue here) and ran it as root (since core files were unreadable by the standard non-root user, so I could see the issue. 

No crashes for a full day and a half while I ran debug off my connection. So here I'm thinking the issue fixed itself and started the mud up to run off the shell before I went to bed. Of course while I was asleep there were 10+ crashes, ironically, only when there were IMMs online. Go figure. 

Finally I ran it without debug, instead running all output to the terminal. Found out that files were trying to be written to and permissions were being denied. And that causes a crash (clearly). So I've gone through all the directories and changed all the permissions (644) to fix the issue. Seems to run fine now. 

tldr; permissions were bad and files weren't being written causing crashes. Fixed permissions and now mud is running smoothly. 

In other words- thank Morlhach for a wonderful couple of days full of crashes. -.-