Language Overhaul

Erelei

• Implementor

Soon (ie, very soon, as soon as I get a good list) we're going to do some major overhaul's of languages. Easier learning, less gold required, more languages, etc.

I wanted to bring it to everyone else for input. Want a new language? Offer it up here. Be sure to use the following format:
Name of Language:
Pronunciation: (more s, a, e sounds, etc)
Specific to race: (y/n (and which one))
Hard to learn: (scale from 1 - 10, 1 being easiest, 10 being hardest)
Can learn by listening: (y/n) [if yes, can only be learned by being given by an IMM or special mob (other than linguist)]

Any other ideas you have for languages, throw them in! I've been playing around with a piece of code to allow you to hear 'bits and pieces' of a language you don't know 100% of if you fail the roll, but it's going to take some time. So please note before suggesting it (three IMMs already have) that I'm already working on it.

Thanks guys!

• Like 2

How about giving cabals the ability to have secret languages they can use so when you have wars or group fights going on there can be more outside speech with each other vs cabal speech.  May increase visible RP a bit to see the enemy yelling to each other in a language you can't understand.

If you've mastered the language of a race and are in a city owned by the race you could get more discounts from stores or even get hidden quests due to being so familiar with them.

If you don't use a language for so long you begin to forget it, after mastering a language it is quicker to relearn it though.

Choose your starting language at creation, sure you're a Dwarf but maybe you were abandoned and raised by Elves.

Would it be possible to add a slang or modified form of speech for each city in common?  These cities are far apart and people wouldn't speak exactly the same across a continent.

• 3 weeks later...