Threatening Imm Punishment

Wathok

"The Gods will know what you have done and you will be punished."

"I'm going to tell the Gods what you did and they're going to punish you."

"Stop doing that or I'm going to tell the Gods. Then you'll be in trouble."

The FL administration has both witnessed and heard about the phrases above (and others like it) being used in conversations with other players. Thinly disguised as acceptable in-character speech, they are actually completely out of character and totally untrue. OOC because nobody complains to the Gods: players complain to the FL administration. Untrue because there is no reason to believe there will be a reprimand of any kind: we Imms do not punish a player simply because another has complained.

While we realize that some players may have good intentions (i.e. informing others what is and what is not proper behavior), we are also aware that many are simply trying to blackmail other players through OOC means. The fact that the threat is punishment from the staff makes this issue all the more severe because no player has the right to wave around the administration's authority.

Since these phrases are no more acceptable than "Do what I say because I claim to know the rules better than you and I claim to know the Gods will punish you," they are now BANNED. Never threaten another player in this manner.

If you see something fishy going on, inform us. Pray, note, bug, forum, e-mail: any one of these are acceptable. We will investigate the situation and take any necessary actions. Note that we never divulge what those actions are. If you really believe something must be said to another player immediately, then keep your speech neutral (e.g. "I don't think the Gods would like what you are doing") AND inform us that you did so.