The Unofficial History of Aabahran [Repost]

Malchaeius

Written by WiseUncle

May 14, 2002

Twisting into the void before the spark the ignited a world of matter, Crypticant muses about thoughts of creation, rather than entropy. The nature of space and time mean nothing to this creature of absolute anarchy, with a thought that echoes into the infinite, he summons Virigoth to him.

Virigoth: Err… still working on that particle storm.

Crypticant: No worries, the world hasn’t been invented yet. Nor have we met yet, however no laws can hold the formless one, therefore I know you.

Virigoth (not looking at the totally lack of everything about him for there is simple nothing to look at): Ahhh….errr…okay.

Crypticant: I was thinking of psuedo-sentinent creatures to walk paths of my desires and I wanted your thoughts.

Virigoth: Are you talking about the races?

Few could have made that jump of understanding, but Virigoth, with his long association with Crypticant immediately understood his needs.

Crypticant: Ahh yes, these things you call races… elaborate.

Virigoth: Well, let’s start with something simple, we call them Humans. Kinda like walking talking monkeys with less hair and slightly more brain, for lack of a better term we shall call them the beta test group. Then we have Elves, happy laughing forest folk with less hair and sort of a snotty disposition. Also, they have dark cousins called Drow who are inherently evil…

Crypticant: Evil?

Virigoth: Good, Evil, Neutrality, a structure the lesser minds will create to help filter the whole of the universe from caving in their little minds.

Crypticant; (instantly understanding and dismissing the whole thing as useless): Hmmm, continue…

Virigoth: Well then with have the giants, they come in different varieties like flavor pops.

Crypticant: Flavor pops?

Virigoth: Frozen ice of different flavors.

Crypticant: Is it anything like beer?

Virigoth: Uh not really….

Crypticant: Then it serves no purpose. Tell me more about these races I will create.

Virigoth (Settling back into a big chair composed entirely of skulls which has suddenly appeared out of nowhere): There’s Gnomes… rarely seen but pretty bright considering their limitations imposed by their mortality. Then we have Halflings, they are sort of like an obnoxious younger brother you like to pick on a lot. We have the Slith, think of big geckos with attitude problems. Dwarves both light and dark…

Crypticant (Possibly smiling but who the hell can tell): Like beer.

Virigoth: Yes, they very much like beer but not as much as the ogres.

Crypticant: These ogres sound quite promising….

Virigoth: We also have the Flappies.

Crypticant: Flappies?

Virigoth: Winged folk called Faeries… minature elves with wings… and the Avians, bigger than the faeries but a bit looser in morals. Hmmm, then we have Werebeast, they can turn into animals… Minotaurs, big bull headed creatures that throw tantrums…

Crypticant: Sounds like some people I will know…

Virigoth (chuckles a soulless laugh): Indeed, and then we will have the Illithids, humanoid octopi that suck the brains out of their victims.

Crypticant: Ouch!

Virigoth: We will have Half-elves. It’s what happens when an elf and a…

Crypticant: …Illithid get together?

Virigoth (considers this, take another moment, considers it again): Ahh, no. Human and Elf.

Crypticant (grumbles): I like my idea much better, will that be all?

Virigoth: Well, there’s an number of special races that these lesser creatures can aspire to like vampires, avatars and whatnot. And for a very special few who prove themselves exceptionally worthy…

Crypticant: Yes?

Virigoth: Immortality.

Crypticant: Like us?

Virigoth (smirking): They will like to believe that.

Crypticant (chuckles): Well, it sounds quit diverse and exciting.

Virigoth: And then we will have a number of different profession, skills, and cabals for these races to strive for…

Crypticant: Sounds like an endlessly entertaining, but tell me Viri, what will be the one thing that holds all these groups together, the common thread that binds them all?

Virigoth: Whining.

Crypticant: WHAT?!?

Virigoth: They will complain endlessly about how one person is stronger, or faster or has all the advantages. They will speak of how life is unfair and so and so wronged me or how a drow invoker isn’t as exciting to be as a squirrel invoker etc….

Crypticant (grumbles to himself): Then why the hell would we want to do all this?

Virigoth: Imagine mice in mazes all competing for the same piece of cheese.

Crypticant: Boring.

Virigoth (smiles wide): Not if you arm the mice.

And thus the world as we know it was formed.

The End