For Remembrance

Lloth

On behalf of Keshan

Keshan looked up from the sweaty work of digging out a new moat at the small battalion of guards who had walked up to the castle. Returning their greeting, he climbed out of the half-finished new moat and received the letter and the small box they had come to deliver.

Saluting, the guards returned to where they had come from. Keshan decided to clean up first to not get sweat and dirt on the parchment. After he was done, he headed to the Royal Triad, putting both the box and the letter on the large table there. Carefully, he unrolled the parchment. Sitting down on a huge chair which had been recently added, he read:

[ 30] COUNCIL Agmeel: To Keshan
Tue Nov  6 17:12:39 2018
To: Immortal Keshan
Keshan, once you read this I'll already be deactivated.  This package
delivered by most trusted and loyal battalion to ensure the safe delivery
from bandits.  You'll notice a box, with a misty vial inside.  I present to
you my end of our agreement.  This is the soul I've taken.  The soul I was
going to trust Ivesianna with once my empire was complete.  I trust you to
set it free, restore it to the afterlife purified from the deeds I've done. 
Know it was not to cause harm on this soul, but the energy drained from this
has caused thousands of citizen to live free, to live safe.  

I want to thank you for seeing wisdom in our mutual friend, Ivesianna.  You
halted a war which would have been caused by Dranthos and my own ignorance
at the very brink of destruction.  For this, I hail you as a hero beyond
measure.  I have a great respect for you, and wanted this to be a parting
gift to ensure you will remember even the oaths made from those born of
darkness can act in the greater good of all beings.  

Remember me for the deeds I've accomplished, not the tasks I've done.  

Your friend, Agmeel.  

Putting down the letter, Keshan took up the small box, carefully extracting the vial inside.

He swirled the vial softly, his eyes taking on a deep greenish shine. "So sparkly", he broadcasted to himself. Shaking his head, the glow receeded slowly, "Friend", he mused. No, he had not considered the Agmeel a friend. A respected enemy he had to work with for the greater good, yes, that was more like it. He was no priest, nor was he entirely sure of the proper proceedings, yet there was no Sigil he could ask currently, nor had any of his former priestly friends survived.

Smiling slightly to himself, he decided to do it the simple way, without much fanfare, the way of his people.

-----

He entered the small clearing just as the moon rose, alone, enjoying the quiet of the evening. Nearing the small pool, he knelt, placing the vial on a small stone before him, like a natural altar. He pondered what to do next, he'd been avoiding religion ever since he decided that the traditional path of his people was not his to take.

Again smiling slightly, he started speaking softly, "I've come here tonight to release a soul stolen, a soul used to commit dark deeds, yet also used to accomplish much that is good. A soul, which has become the shell, the shell becoming part of the soul." He stared at the vial for a time, then unstopped it. Sparkles flew up into the sky, slowly dissipating. 

Keshan watched the sparkles until there was no trace left. Softly, he said, "May Erelei guide you, may Eledwhen purify you, so you can rejoin the Cycle to become something great and good." Even softer, he added, "Save travels, my friend."

------

A few days later, Keshan returned to the clearing, having come to collect the vial. It was gone however. All around the small stone he had placed it upon, forget-me-nots stood in bloom, their soft fragrance filling the clearing.

Keshan laughed. "Fitting", he said and started digging, careful not to harm the tiny roots.

• Like 1
  • Love 1