[CHANGE] Bards!...

Erelei

• Implementor
Hot Change Date: 03/09/2019

A few changes to bards to help move them into where they need to be:

• Rhapsody of Delusion no longer prevents teleport/word of recall.
  • Carol of Lethargy does not 'drain' you any longer. Mana however will continue to be an issue while affected by this spell. Moves/HP will regenerate at double the rate, similar to the slow spell.
  • You can only maintain instruments twice, now.
    • Maintains for saves and hitroll/damroll are capped at -2 and +3.
    • Using a material with a rating of 7 or more for your particular vogue will make the weapon rare, now. This means if it's built from one, or a material is maintained at that level into an existing instrument.
    • this will be modified over time to ensure all materials are viable over 5 strength.
  • Lullaby will now cause aggro if it fails.

View full hot change

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Rhapsody, Lethargy, and Lullaby Changes are very good!!!

The Instrument nerf seems quite harsh, but maybe this is to put them in line with the new weapon changes coming?

I would propose in addition to this instrument change that dismantling always returns the build material, this way bards have more ability to make and break instruments on the fly.

edit: out of curiosity what will happen to all the current instruments bards have that are maintained 4 times with old numbers?

Edited by Manual Labour

• Implementor
8 minutes ago, Manual Labour said:

I would propose in addition to this instrument change that dismantling always returns the build material, this way bards have more ability to make and break instruments on the fly.

I don't have an issue with this. Dismantle already has a high chance to return materials, but I might just add a check to bard mastery to increase this chance up to 100%.

9 minutes ago, Manual Labour said:

edit: out of curiosity what will happen to all the current instruments bards have that are maintained 4 times with old numbers?

I'll force a dismantle eventually for all existing weapons and return the materials added into the weapons (not sure how I'll be going about that, yet). Bard weapon creation will eventually be setup so that added materials will always be returned from dismantle (not just the initial material used).

Interesting. I think 100% return of build material + both maintains might be too good.

The point of making them rare is to force meaningful decisions, and not be ready for every enemy possible.

But if you were to get all 3 materials back 100% then at a certain point you could just stop harvesting/mining entirely.

I would propose 100% return on build material, and maybe 50% for 1st maintain material, and 25% for 2nd one.

Either way, very positive changes!

The change to making them rare is definitely going to help out with balance. Having every vuln on tap was a massive edge on my bards. Now, that's not to say you can't farm enough materials to make one on the fly, but that at least takes time and dedication to make it happen.

Solid changes. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Manual Labour said:

But if you were to get all 3 materials back 100% then at a certain point you could just stop harvesting/mining entirely.

Materials are not rare. Lockers and travel bags mean bards do not have to mine at some point. The change makes the weapon rare, no mention of the material.

Right. I am just saying if getting all 3 materials back 100% on dismantle were to happen. Once you had the materials you needed you could simply stop harvesting/mining. Since you would only likely have 3-5 instruments at any given time (due to rarity) if you needed to make a new one for a new enemy you could just dismantle one and use those parts to get the best maintains again.

If maintain materials aren't refunded, you still have to keep harvesting/mining if you want to have all the options to make a new instrument.

edit:  of course at a certain point you can stop because you will have a locker full of materials, but if this change happened that point would arrive much sooner because materials would last forever.

Edited by Manual Labour
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Manual Labour said:

Right. I am just saying if getting all 3 materials back 100% on dismantle were to happen. Once you had the materials you needed you could simply stop harvesting/mining. Since you would only likely have 3-5 instruments at any given time (due to rarity) if you needed to make a new one for a new enemy you could just dismantle one and use those parts to get the best maintains again.

If maintain materials aren't refunded, you still have to keep harvesting/mining if you want to have all the options to make a new instrument.

edit:  of course at a certain point you can stop because you will have a locker full of materials, but if this change happened that point would arrive much sooner because materials would last forever.

A good breakdown tbh.  But what do we want.  More time farming or more plateau where they spend time remaking. 

34 minutes ago, Kyzarius said:

A good breakdown tbh.  But what do we want.  More time farming or more plateau where they spend time remaking. 

But you can use the same logic about training, leveling, consumable gathering and so on.

The whole idea is that if they want to have a weapon for any opponent, they will have to work for it (i.e. mine), not just disassemble/reassemble constantly, which would be the case if mats were returned 100%.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The only trouble I see with these changes are bards will have a tougher time against fury zerks or invokers.  Basically, two maintains and one would have to be taken up with a burnproof slot.  Fury zerks can break it anyways and then guard the ONLY place you can repair it.  Considering all the materials to make an instrument burnproof will also make it rare with the exception of one .....you get the general idea.  I suppose you can make a bunch of weaker weapons you can afford to lose entirely.  Maybe the lesser materials  changes will make them actually viable as backups.