An Evil Place for the Sickly

Rygothran

Posted at the request of the player.

You wake and stand up.

Entrance to a Dank Tomb
  A chilling blast of icy, dank air wafts past the entrance of the tomb.
The stench of death is pungent and overpowering, and the shadows dance away
tricks of movement.  The walls are old, hewn blocks of granite that are
quite cold to the touch.  There is a thick layer of lichen and moss along
those same walls.  Somewhere in the depths of the gloom, water drips slowly,
but steadily.  

[Exits: east south]
The Time Vortex plays with the reality far above you.
(Translucent) (White Aura) Azhlahar the Angel of Arcana is here.
(Charmed) A stone golem stands here to do his master's bidding.
(Charmed) A savage Alsatian bares its teeth and growls menacingly.

Azhlahar look you over in the darkness.

Leilana awakes from her slumber, jumping to her feet as she notices Azhlahar hovering nearby.

Leilana asks 'Who.. who are you?'

Azhlahar slowly back away as if he sees something odd about you 'Excuse me.'

Azhlahar bows slightly, keeping his eyes on you 'I am Azhlahar, and you?'

Leilana also takes a short step back, looking slightly alarmed.

Leilana seems to relax as Azhlahar introduces himself. Softly, she says, 'I am Leilana. A pleasure to meet you.'

Regarding you, Azhlahar says 'I noticed you coming here so I followed.'

A sudden fit of coughing overcomes Leilana. She covers her mouth with a hand, faint tremors rippling through her body with each cough.

Azhlahar takes another step back.

You say 'There is evil in this place, souls that were stolen from the One God's love and mercy.'

With a calm look on his face, Azhlahar speaks plainly 'I see that was a mistake. You are ill it would seem. Why are you here?'

Leilana asks 'Have you heard of it?' There is a short pause before she speaks the name of that evil, 'Talex...'

Azhlahar shrugs as he says the name 'Talex.' He repeats the name once more before saying 'There is more evil than Talex in this realm.'

Leilana suddenly blinks, her deep green eyes focusing on Azhlahar's own.

You say 'I sense an unease in you. Do not worry... my condition is not contagious.'

Azhlahar nods and asks 'Then what is it?' [[ I completely missed this question, only noticed when reading through the log. ]]

You say 'There is evil and good in all of us. I am sent to spread the One's light unto others.'

Leilana closes her eyes briefly, swaying unsteadily where she stands.

Azhlahar draws back his hood, his eyes glint with a fire. 'You are ill, how can you spread his light?'

You say 'As for Talex's brood... I hope to join the paladin's guild one day. The guildmaster sent me here to prove I will survive the rigors of such a calling.'

You say 'He too took notice of my illness. I am not unfit. I will prove it.'

Leilana exhales a heavy, protracted sigh.

Azhlahar nods and says 'You are unfit for me as it is.'

Azhlahar frowns deeply as if disappointed.

You say 'My body may be feeble, but my spirit is not.'

Azhlahar says 'I need a healthy body.'

Leilana does not appear fazed by Azhlahar's judgment. Instead, she aims a brittle smile at the avian.

Azhlahar looks deeper into the tomb 'This place provides a certain comfort. I understand why Talex resides here.'

You say 'He would surely stalk wide and far should the wards upon his gate ever be breached.'

Azhlahar pulls his hood over his head once more, 'Perhaps it is for the best he is trapped here.'

Mustering her strength, Leilana takes a step forward, then another, moving closer to Azhlahar.

Azhlahar says 'I will leave you to your cleansing. Should you find your health, seek me out.'

You say 'What of you, Azhlahar?'

Azhlahar says 'Do not come too close, Leilana.'

You say 'Is your spirit free? Your soul?'

Leilana stops moving, hands clasped behind her back.

Azhlahar shrugs 'How could I know?'

Azhlahar eyes you suspiciously.

You say 'I would help you find the answer, if you would let me.'

The look on the face of Azhlahar turns from suspicion to sketpical.

Azhlahar says 'Could you?'

You say 'It is the path He set me upon. To guide the souls of His beloved children.'

Azhlahar says 'He?'

Again, Leilana is struck by a fit of coughing, once more covering her mouth with a hand. When the fit ends, a few flecks of blood are visible on her chin.

You say 'The One God.'

Azhlahar says 'I know little of the one god. I can tell he has abandoned you. You seem to be near death.'

Leilana retrieves a napkin from her pack and wipes her mouth.

Azhlahar utters the words, 'qcandusahz yaae'.
A magic steak suddenly appears.

Azhlahar says 'Eat if you require it.'

You say 'This ailment has plagued me since I was a child.'

You get a magic steak.

Azhlahar nods and asks 'What has your god done about it? This... one god?'

Azhlahar says 'Allowed you to suffer?'

Leilana gathers the magical meal in her hands, mumbling a prayer of thanksgiving before taking a bite from it.

You eat a magic steak.
You are full.

You say 'If disaster falls upon Anume's followers, would you place such blame on her? On Tongar's? Or Rygothran's?'

Azhlahar says 'Does Anume not grant life back even after it fails?'

Azhlahar says 'Tongar wishes his followed to die in battle I assume. As far as the dragon, who knows what he wants. Everything?'

You say 'But it is true: there were days when I was half in love with Death, pining for Her final kiss, to steal my breath away.'

You say 'But life is the One's greatest and most precious gift, and He would not relinquish me from it.'

Azhlahar takes a moment before responding 'Only make you suffer while you live with his glorious gift. Perhaps we are but weak mortals under the thumbs of our masters.'

You say 'He brought me back from a pall of despair so dark and heavy it threatened to crush not my body, but my soul.'

Azhlahar says 'In turn your beauty is sacrificed, your life, and everything that offers. You are an elf are you not?'

You say 'Do you not think I have cursed whatever Fate or Demon or God that brought this ailment upon me many times before?'

'Acceptance,' Leilana murmurs softly, her gaze searching Azhlanar's face, '...yes, acceptance. It is the most difficult of all lessons I had to learn.'

Azhlahar winces 'I am certain you have. Forgive me, I sometimes do things in haste. My words are no different.'

You say 'I am not defined by my sickness. It does not decide my worth as a person. My actions do. And hence...'

Leilana gestures into the darkness of the tomb, '...I am here.'

Azhlahar looks back to the darkness 'You are. How long will you be until your soul returns to Anume?'

You say 'If you faced such difficulties? If you were bedridden for weeks and months on end? Would you find the strength to one day get up, to -do- instead of wait?'

Azhlahar shrugs 'I do not know the answer to your question. I have not lived such a life.'

Leilana blinks her eyes. 'She is not the keeper of our souls, merely the ferryman that delivers them back unto the One God.'

Azhlahar nods to you but does not speak for a moment.

You say 'That is Death. The return of the soul to His side, to be measured and judged.'

Azhlahar says 'What if she decided to snatch your soul away from your one god?'

Leilana's breath grows ragged and heavy as the conversation continues. She appears rather fatigued.

Azhlahar looks at you with pity 'Perhaps we should continue this when you are well?'

You say 'That.. that is not possible.'

Leilana tries to keep bitterness from her voice, 'I do not get well. Some days are better, some days are worse. This one... it is in between.'

Azhlahar says 'Perhaps you require more food?'

Azhlahar utters the words, 'qcandusahz yaae'.
A magic meal suddenly appears.

Leilana glances over at the meal, then looks to Azhlahar again.

You say 'I do not have much appetite, I'm afraid. But I do appreciate your kindness.'

Azhlahar shrugs as you look at him then says 'I am not a priest, I do not know how to end your suffering except...'

His eyes suddenly glowing as if flames were in them, Azhlahar says 'There is one way.'

You say 'I do not yearn for that release anymore. Not as I used to.'

Azhlahar suddenly looks disappointed but nods.

Softly, Leilana says, 'I have a purpose now. A path I must walk.'

You say 'At its end, I hope I will find redemption.'

Azhlahar says 'I admit, I have never killed anyone before that wanted it. It must feel... different.'

Azhlahar says 'Almost like the gift of this food and water.'

Vhulroth rides in.

Vhulroth rides east.

Azhlahar says 'This should be interest.'

You say 'There is enmity between you and that human?'

Azhlahar says 'Not yet.'

Azhlahar says 'Excuse me one moment.'

Azhlahar flies east.

Azhlahar flies in.

Vhulroth rides in.

Vhulroth sits down and thinks deeply.

You say 'Ah.. I think I must ask your forgiveness.. but..'

Vhulroth says 'Such a dank place for a meeting.'

You say '..my strength already wanes, and I have yet to slay even one of these kindred.'

Azhlahar nods at you in agreement.

Vhulroth sits down and thinks deeply.

Azhlahar says 'Until then.'

Vhulroth shrugs helplessly.

You nod at Azhlahar.

Vhulroth rides east.

Azhlahar flies east.

You tell Azhlahar 'We shall speak again, Azhlahar.'

Azhlahar tells you 'If your one god hasn't taken your soul by then, perhaps we shall.'

<< I move >>

• Love 1