Gilthok Ord

'tarako

I had a lot of fun playing this char. So much going on and playing a dwarf is always fun with their mannerisms. I tried to do some things, and failed miserably. The pk wasn't really much, most people are strong and decked but don't have huge pk records so ray wasn't that effective to be honest. It's mals landed so infrequently that you couldn't really count on them even in long, multi skirmish fights. I got to the point where I was running out of steam because the rp I tried to execute failed, and I was fighting the same 2 to 5 people every time I logged in. Sorry to the few goodies running around, 190 hours, with 70 at V, I got tired of flailing around in the dark with no clear direction I should be heading in. I play the game to interact with people, and get them promos. I wasn't getting promos, and the majority of people interacting with me where just being cocky, or borderline ooc telling me what a shitty sigil I was, and trying to explain how I can't fight people as a sigil. Nothing says ambient rp like an orc telling gandalf he can't use a sword cause he's a mage lol. That'll be all from me though, you won't have to worry about the goofy combos I play anymore.

I detest that sigil gets the most complaints about being too aggressive,  particularly in game, whether ambiguous tells or with a player rule enforcing tone. I haven't played a sigil before but I have had many praetorians and if there was two of us on, even I'd wind up with tells saying along the lines of "You're meant to be doing the fighting." Which wasn't always possible. 

That kind of stuff should be cracked down on. Log. Screen shot. Prayer. Dock Dem Rppz.

That has ALWAYS been something that bothered me. EVERY cabal has a "passive" subcabal except Warmaster (and Gladiators have more than enough restrictions and honor-based RP to account for it), but only Sigil seems to be aggressively targeted by players for "enforcement" of what they perceive your RP should be. Warder, Pandemonium, Mysterum, and Council are also supposed to be passive/defensive and achieve their aims through diplomacy, negotiation, and/or manipulation (according to both help files and history). It's an unfair burden and I really don't know how to address it, except for everyone to slow their roll with the meta-RP policing.

All that aside, Gilthok was a great character and I really enjoyed our interactions. Sorry you weren't having fun with it, but I hope you'll consider rolling something new that you might enjoy more.

Great character!

When you log so many hours in so short of a time it can make it seem like things just aren't happening.

FL rewards consistency over a calendar year more than hours in game.

If you had put the same number of hours in stretched over 6 months (averaging 7 hours a week), then you'd probably be L. However, when crunched into 8 weeks (averaging 24 hours per week), then the effort isn't recognized as much nor rewarded.

I'm not sure I agree that it should be this way. If you put the time in, you put the time in, and it isn't helpful if you play 100 + hrs and still have no clear path to T. However, current admin culture of our game means that longevity beats out intensity. 

Maybe it's not helpful, but with a character like this it seems like playing less, or following the old Timothy Leary adage (tune in, turn on, drop out) may get better outcomes.

What do staff and pbase think of this paradox?

We need players but our reward structure is not geared to promote logging in and being present for our most active players.

One of my biggest private complaints about FL is the idea that ooc longevity is superior to in character activity. If I had to choose between having a game with 20 characters that log minimum hours, and a game having a highly active playerbase, but rotating characters out often, it's a no brainer to me. FL is different in this mostly because of the way the rp system incentivises sending journals over in character action. It leads to people who never really need to do anything but creative writing to go far. On one hand I like the idea that a character with no pk ability can do well without pk, it's an excellent option for struggling or new players. On the other hand, you then have an option for abuse where players can entrench themselves behind walls of creative writing without ever needing to be engaged in the actual game beyond notes and logging minimum hours. Personally I feel that even if you aren't destroying people, you should be active beyond just journals. Making effort to be better is much more respectable to me than just not trying. 

Careful.  Some of us have only 5 hours per week to spare.  The last two weeks I've had none.  Because there are aspects of ooc life that take precedence over a game.  

Those journals and notes have the convenience of being able to maintain a world interaction, especially when there are so few people to run into.  If it comes down to it, I'd rather enjoy my life than be respectable in the eyes of a gamer.

My fault entirely. I accept it. RL has placed a very heavy burden on me in the last 7 weeks. Two week vacation planned since July got trumped by an acident that put two of my co-workers on the bench through the Holidays.

I worked 35 days since December 1st, and slept the days I had off. So, honestly, whole heartedly, I apologize @Tarako.

50 minutes ago, Azravik said:

My fault entirely. I accept it. RL has placed a very heavy burden on me in the last 7 weeks. Two week vacation planned since July got trumped by an acident that put two of my co-workers on the bench through the Holidays.

I worked 35 days since December 1st, and slept the days I had off. So, honestly, whole heartedly, I apologize @Tarako.

It is not right to apologize about real life problems in a game.  Your time is your own and sometimes you have to prioritize what is important.  Things do happen.  Players need to stop with the drama and understand there's more important things to get upset about as far as I'm concerned.  I hope You're less stressed and are feeling better. @Azravik

4 hours ago, Azravik said:

*Counts on his fingers* wait a second... there are only thirt... but... whyyyyyyyyyy?!

Sorry to hear it man, hope things get better soon (or are already on their way to better).

Archived