Am I the only one?

Izzzzy

Am I the only one?  Where you've just finished with a successful character, and it takes some time emotionally (I was feeling drained at the end of Puerilaug) to recover.  I can't seem to want to get into the mode of RP/Journals, and interaction really.

I went from one of my most RP focused characters into a character I just wanted to play as a non RP character to test out the class. It worked for me, but then that character became far more RP focused and branched out much more than I had intended. 0 journals on them, only a history, and a spatter of other RP characters in the mix has helped me get away from all of that drained feeling. I try not to think of a character as being successful unless I meet all the goals I set out to achieve, or stumbled across the goals I didn't know I had wanted until I saw the angle.

Sometimes I'll just roll a character to train out of habit and never even bother getting to 50 with them though, and it helps get my mind rolling again on other things that are creative for me. Don't feel bad if you feel like you're not getting back up on the horse, it's just a game and sometimes it can be draining in ways that RL doesn't even touch.

It's a frame of mind that really has not as much to do with the success of the character as the amount of time and emotion invested.  I've become attached to several of my characters.  

The drain is real.   Not everyone gets or understands it.  Some people memorialize their characters they really enjoyed in their signature.  

18 minutes ago, Mmm Coffee said:

Everyone's different.  When I'm done with a toon I invested in, I'm done with the game for a while.  It sounds like maybe you should just ask for Puerilaug to be restored :P

i think i have become more like this over the years. i find that when i try to force myself to play just for sake of it i

1.don't really get anything out of it
2. dont really contribute anything to it
3. end up frustrating myself with dead end chars

1 hour ago, Mmm Coffee said:

Everyone's different.  When I'm done with a toon I invested in, I'm done with the game for a while.  It sounds like maybe you should just ask for Puerilaug to be restored :P

Nah.  I don't want a restore.  I'm happy messing with new things,  I want to write but I have a big road block in my way.  I'm just gonna have whatever I play make a life of its own.  Go in with no plans no ideas and ride that wave.

I've been in the same boat for a while now. I don't know what it is but I'm gun shy in committing to a character right now. I'm just kinda poking around and rolling up toons and just seeing how things play out vs actually committing to them. I have like 2 toons right now which I haven't even written a history or have done any journals.. which is extremely uncharacteristic of me. I usually have them all mapped out and like 10-15 journals done by now. I feel you bro. 

I find this when I am trying to find something 'strong' to play instead of something 'fun'. 

Do something that will be more fun, rather than strong and you'll stick with it. Thats what I find personally anyway. 

I also hate it if I want to try a combo thats more rare - them someone else rolls one up. 

It's hard to start at the bottom right after you've been to the top.  Just remember that the character wasnt what made it fun you did.  Just take what made your demon successful and apply it in different methods.  I know its vague but you're going to have to find that niche where you can relate or something that turns your imagination on.  Sounds like you really like casters and necros, why not try a lich?  

3 hours ago, Mali said:

I'm in the small camp of folks that rejects the writing aspect of FL. I don't mind if y'all want to write short stories, but I'd rather do so off the platform and play in real time. So I feel the same as you by default.

I've never written a journal. Asked on the newbie channel how to do it, when I understood what it's all about I figured it's not for me. I just play the game and have fun, the rp points come by themselves ;)

As for Iznazti, it's fully understandable you feel the way you do. Take a break if you need, or roll something if you want. Just keep in mind the main point of this game is to have fun, everything else will come by itself :)

5 hours ago, Velimir said:

I've never written a journal. Asked on the newbie channel how to do it, when I understood what it's all about I figured it's not for me. I just play the game and have fun, the rp points come by themselves ;)

Writing about your character is some times the only way to "play" your character when you want to login but you know it's dead-hours for the game.  Gives something productive to do since you know it will turn into RP points.

Archived