This is why we can't have nice things.

FatMike

No real need. Nothing against the rules was done, just crap behavior that serves no purpose other than to stroke ones own ego or to be an a$$ just because. 

Gonna take the loss and take a few days and see where I end up. 

Usually when I get tired of playing it's because I suck the life out of the game for myself or get burnt out or run out of ideas and I just stop logging in/posting/ discord. This time feels different.

I personally think that is a joke. We are getting so very very soft. 

Aabahran is a dangerous place. Lets not hold everyones hand too much. Otherwise lets just do away with death before 50 - can't mob die, cant pk. You can only pk at 50 when you have 100 RP Points. Hell lets take PK away completely. Be an RP mud. Why not. its the 'next step'. /end sarcasm.

10 minutes ago, Ulmusdorn said:

Aabahran is a dangerous place. Lets not hold everyones hand too much. Otherwise lets just do away with death before 50 - can't mob die, cant pk. You can only pk at 50 when you have 100 RP Points. Hell lets take PK away completely. Be an RP mud. Why not. its the 'next step'. /end sarcasm 

I think this is a pretty poor mentality to have, FL is dangerous sure but there is a huge difference between the power level of a 50 and a 45. This gets even more pronounced when you include them being in a cabal.  Sure FL is dangerous and you can be killed all over the place but frankly behavior like an elder in knight whacking around a level 45 should be looked at IMO, it's not adding anything to the game, it's just letting players who want to beat up on others the opportunity for it. 

Calling the playerbase soft, or otherwise doesn't help. The game already has a massive skill gap between players do we really need more outlets for them to feel good about themselves that only are detrimental to the rest of the playerbase? I for one think not.

49 minutes ago, Ulmusdorn said:

Aabahran is a dangerous place. Lets not hold everyones hand too much. Otherwise lets just do away with death before 50 - can't mob die, cant pk. You can only pk at 50 when you have 100 RP Points. Hell lets take PK away completely. Be an RP mud. Why not. its the 'next step'. /end sarcasm.

We already know in no uncertain terms that we have no collective desire to be an "RP Mud." From all I have seen we enjoy our hardcoreness and anyone who can't cope with that doesn't belong. I am not implying changes for QoL are bad, but there has been left open an astounding amount of room for growth.

PK ranges have always been a thing. 

1 hour ago, Rensvert said:

I think this is a pretty poor mentality to have, FL is dangerous sure but there is a huge difference between the power level of a 50 and a 45.

Is there any difference to someone who just hit 50 and someone who is already 50? I think not.

Im of the opinion that if you're going to delete over a single pre-50 death, then you'll delete as soon as you get suited up and die. Cause someone will take x and it'll be unfair and you'll quit.

Hell Anume and I were just laughing as my pinns normally have 4-5 MOBDEATHS on them before even pinnacling - most people would delete (especially as I only play hardcore lol) but i know that death is coming, always in all ways. So just roll with it.

Deleting pre-50 because you die to a 50 usually means you've not gotten your fundamentals right. You likely haven't figured out an RP angle that you enjoy, you've already been down on your luck with EQ, and finally you get killed by a 50 while trying to rank  up and you just entered their PK range. This is when people usually delete, and it's where I have, albeit without the death as it was more for the lack of interest in the combo and no RP, so it's likely this too would be the case. That's of course assuming that's what happened without me reading everything posted.

You have a few things at your disposal at this point though. There's the bounty system you can use, you can try to persuade another to do it without payment, or a promise of something later in your characters life, or you can just shrug it off and do your best to get better EQ and take them down at a later date. That is of course if they haven't been man handled by someone else and deleted before you could take revenge.

One of the tell tale signs of people doing this though is when it's an Evil at 50 waiting for the Good aligned character to hit their range, or vice versa for very similar reasons that honestly tend to be very lackluster in creativity in my own eyes, but has been seen as good enough since before I started playing. It's far less likely to have this happen if you're a Neutral unless you've put in the seeds of being mouthy early on to said character. Does it suck to be killed pre-50 by someone who's at 50? Sure. It sucks to be killed regardless of rank too, but often times you're left with your EQ and only your gold is taken with a few exceptions. The upside though is if you have your shit together and know it's a possibility they may come for you, you can run or log off, and there's also the chance that you could actually win still depending on the person trying to kill you. If you kill them, you have the upper hand in looting them for being an asshole, and they usually avoid you after that point entirely and just place bounties.

@Ulmusdorn That's a lot of dying. Like how do you die so much to MOBs? Mostly curious because I've gone a few characters from 1-30 as Adventurer without a death, 1-50 as a typical combo going for a remort without a death, and then 1-50 again without a single MOB death the entire time. I wouldn't say get rid of the PK ranges though and I know that was seething with sarcasm when you typed it up. Certain players are going to do what they want regardless of what happens to them. I recall one character getting put into the PK range of everyone and a player killed them while they were at level 30 and they were at 50, and then it happened to me by the same player with a different level 50 while I was a level 30 and had things looted. Some players will always feel entitled to act like assholes whether they know it could be frowned upon or not, but generally don't care. In this specific situation though I think I'll just follow @L-A's philosophy.

8 minutes ago, Tantangel said:

That's a lot of dying. Like how do you die so much to MOBs?

I forget Im not 50, or I forget Im not as strong as I think. When you see people die in the ford it'll be me trying to kill valcor for his tit fullplate at rank 35. ROFL.

10 minutes ago, Tantangel said:

though I think I'll just follow @L-A's philosophy.

HTFUP? Lol.

Also this is how I'd play this: 

Rank to 49, get to within 4k exp to level (perfect for Malignant and Stretarian  - doesnt even need an annoying quest). Go on all hunting trips for eq etc without a care in the world of being killed by anyone. Get decked (there is very little of the lands I can't solo at 50 so 49 isn't much different). Become decked, join a cabal, get to V. Rank to 50. Enter pk range.

Even better yet! Sit at 49, kill all the people lower than me to rank my malform/path/sader weapon. Wait till its like level 4-5 without having to worry about 50 pk. Then rank to 50.

To be fair, you could kill him at 35, but you best be hitting him harder than he's hitting you, or at least outhealing him. I've seen that happen a handful of times thinking a person would be stupid to try him at that level, but manage to nail him. Then I try it later and I'm not even close to doing shit to him. Tricks of the trade I suppose in a way.

Exactly the phrase that comes to my mind often anymore though. Although I still believe that adding an RP only option for new players could be a way to entice others to play the game, I find some people take a death far too personal anymore. Perhaps it's something to do with people becoming softer, or perhaps it's just the mentality they've always had and seldom if ever expressed it openly. Either way though, choosing to play as Good/Evil pretty much opens up the doors more to mindless PK for no other reason than Good vs. Evil in a few cases.

That scenario exactly would be reason enough to not allow that kind of protection though. If you can get rares easily enough and sit at 49 so you're not in a 50's PK range just to get super decked, chances are very likely you're going to delete the second you do die at 50 because you believe your God EQ will protect you enough to compensate for your lack of ability to PK, or they will just remain at 49 and sit there until either they are forced to get to 50, or a group of others pre-50 decide to join forces to stomp said individual out and that person ends up coming here, flaming, and deleting the character because it was BS it happened.

I see that as being something far more potentially abused than anything else, all for the sake of trying to appease a handful of players at best. Now if said individuals were automatically made to be able to PK 50's if they manage to get a PK while sitting at 49, I could see that as possibly balancing the issue out so that no one really could abuse that system as you placed it.

24 minutes ago, Tantangel said:

Exactly the phrase that comes to my mind often anymore though. Although I still believe that adding an RP only option for new players could be a way to entice others to play the game, I find some people take a death far too personal anymore. Perhaps it's something to do with people becoming softer, or perhaps it's just the mentality they've always had and seldom if ever expressed it openly. Either way though, choosing to play as Good/Evil pretty much opens up the doors more to mindless PK for no other reason than Good vs. Evil in a few cases.

FL dies in this scenario. Never will I agree to having a No PK tier.

Our playerbase is classy enough to leave smurfs alone. IF you want to be left alone, roll a smurf.

I still have 12 lives on my Hardcore character that is left alone. I highly doubt it would be the end of this game by implementing it, and a lot of the ideas people put forth into trying to bring more players in or even help newer players out would be solved with a non PK tier, and implemented in the ways I've detailed it before would mean there's no chance to really abuse the system. Then think of how many Vets would actually play it versus not would mean it doesn't take away from the game in any real way outside of removing the danger of PK aspect from things. Even if that tier meant only having 5 lives instead of 20 or 60 only offers more Newbie Friendly ways the game can be played. You have to think that when the game was first created, things like the Moderate Tier would be scoffed at along with Adventurer and several other changes made since then. If it hadn't been for realizing the benefits of implementing those ideas, the game could've easily become stagnant and far from Newbie Friendly as it is today. A lot of people oppose the idea because it hasn't been implemented, and people think it may kill the game because they can't see past their own ignorance of accepting change. I can guarantee you that if it were implemented and given at least a trial run, many people would change their mind. Seeing 1 character who can't wear any rares, but can still go around the game and learn about it more in depth outside of PK wouldn't detract from the 10+ characters who still could. After all you can log in and be the only 50 while there's a bunch of pre-50's and you're essentially playing the game with a no PK Tier until someone logs on in your range. And if they're an ally, you're still in a no PK Tier role.

Removing the PK range entirely and making everyone be in each others range would kill the game far more  quickly than adding a no PK Tier in. There's going to be one player who decides that he needs gear and there's no rares around, but he's desperate and that level 20 found 30k gold in a pit and has wrapped sandals and a cowl that were discarded in Maelbrim and they're now a viable target. A new player deletes and says fuck this game because it didn't even give them a chance to play the game and enjoy it while that 50 is just happy he got the cowl after hitting 50 a couple hours ago in the middle of the month. This change would definitely prevent us from gaining more players because the players who would do this tend to take a lot of breaks, then suddenly play 3 characters in 3 different Cabals and burn themselves out quickly while ruining the fun of others. I've had it happen to me it sucks, and I thought a lot more of the player prior to that point. You don't want that to happen to a new player ever, which is why I feel a non PK Tier would push the game to becoming more friendly than just all out hostility. I'll never change a persons mind who thinks it will kill the game though just like I know no one could change my mind on getting me to see how it would hurt the game by doing so. Every downside mentioned to it has been countered in favor of, nothing really made a valid reason to why it would kill the game though.

8 minutes ago, Tantangel said:

I highly doubt it would be the end of this game by implementing it, and a lot of the ideas people put forth into trying to bring more players in or even help newer players out would be solved with a non PK tier, and implemented in the ways I've detailed it before would mean there's no chance to really abuse the system. Then think of how many Vets would actually play it versus not would mean it doesn't take away from the game in any real way outside of removing the danger of PK aspect from things. Even if that tier meant only having 5 lives instead of 20 or 60 only offers more Newbie Friendly ways the game can be played. You have to think that when the game was first created, things like the Moderate Tier would be scoffed at along with Adventurer and several other changes made since then.

I would be ok with this if there was 0 cabal possibility with a non-pk tier. I mean no Herald, no Merchant. 

I dont entirely understand why so many people are so against people wanting to play this game for RP and not PK. 

Is it because you all want people to beat up on or something? Because a lot of the arguments in this thread come off like entitlement or just forever pushing a "Harden up princess" mentality. It wasnt that long ago we had a new player who got sick of the games shit and left. And a few months before that another new player left. We've got some work to do if we actually want new players to show up and stick with the game, and coming off with a "Sorry not sorry" mentality isnt helping anyone.

19 minutes ago, Rensvert said:

IBecause a lot of the arguments in this thread come off like entitlement or just forever pushing a "Harden up princess" mentality. It wasnt that long ago we had a new player who got sick of the games shit and left.

I don't disagree with what you're saying.

But to be fair, if you're talking about Nopesalot, based on his comments on Discord, I got the impression that what he was looking for in a MUD was something drastically different from FL on all levels.

He wasn't simply looking for FL with more focus on RP.

Archived