Gone

Izzzzy

Bye bye Oiydi and Mezila!  I'm officially done playing this game forever.  I won't take one more needless death on an overpowered class.  If we don't care to balance the game I am not going to play.  Its that simple.  There is not one encounter where I'm able to win.  They were built to just annihalate you.  -50 save vs mental means nothing when sitting in the fight to try and kill it leads to your death.  I'm over this.

I won't be returning.

6 minutes ago, Izzzzy said:

Bye bye Oiydi and Mezila!  I'm officially done playing this game forever.  I won't take one more needless death on an overpowered class.  If we don't care to balance the game I am not going to play.  Its that simple.  There is not one encounter where I'm able to win.  They were built to just annihalate you.  -50 save vs mental means nothing when sitting in the fight to try and kill it leads to your death.  I'm over this.

I won't be returning.

I'm sorry to hear that, but I would bet that the IMMs are evaluating some possible balances for psi - the problem is endemic to the structure of the class, not any one skill. So it's very difficult to just balance it with the flick of a wand. If you're able to be patient, I can only imagine that the fixes are coming soon. But as much as I hate dying to a class that feels insurmountable, I also would hate to be the person (or the four people) playing a Psi right now that then gets completely and totally shafted because of a hasty hotfix.

10 minutes ago, EllaThePuppy said:

I'm sorry to hear that, but I would bet that the IMMs are evaluating some possible balances for psi - the problem is endemic to the structure of the class, not any one skill. So it's very difficult to just balance it with the flick of a wand. If you're able to be patient, I can only imagine that the fixes are coming soon. But as much as I hate dying to a class that feels insurmountable, I also would hate to be the person (or the four people) playing a Psi right now that then gets completely and totally shafted because of a hasty hotfix.

I get this completely but when I've got -50 save vs mental -30 save vs spell.  And still manage to die.  Get all my mind stripped with a few spells there is no chance.  I play mages and for a mage to beat a PSI is very difficult.  I spent hours getting equipment.  I fight anyone else.  I do fine.  PSI.  Its run for your life.  I take nothing away from the players playing the class.  I find it hard to believe that with the Pkillers we have in this game that we can't see there is a problem with the class.  I feel like I wasted hours of my life just to die.

If I have to be perfect to win a fight and I mean perfect and the other class can make a million mistakes and still wins this is a serious problem.  Records with 0 deaths should not exist with the pkillers we have in this game.  Ratios of 10 kills 1 death should not happen. 

1 minute ago, Izzzzy said:

I get this completely but when I've got -50 save vs mental -30 save vs spell.  And still manage to die.  Get all my mind stripped with a few spells there is no chance.  I play mages and for a mage to beat a PSI is very difficult.  I spent hours getting equipment.  I fight anyone else.  I do fine.  PSI.  Its run for your life.  I take nothing away from the players playing the class.  I find it hard to believe that with the Pkillers we have in this game that we can't see there is a problem with the class.  I feel like I wasted hours of my life just to die.

If I have to be perfect to win a fight and I mean perfect and the other class can make a million mistakes and still wins this is a serious problem.  Records with 0 deaths should not exist with the pkillers we have in this game.  Ratios of 10 kills 1 death should not happen. 

I understand - it's frustrating. But dying to anything in this game is frustrating. You know as well as I do that the rewards for sticking out the irritating times are far more valuable than the rewards for taking the easy road. Oiydi had been in Watcher for what... 3-4 days and was already T? That means that you sticking it out was going well.

That said, I guess my best advice would be if you can't beat them, join them. Roll a Knight (sorely needed right now) or a Warmaster (the Savant Psi isn't super active). 

Or roll up a rogue and kick all their asses. A feral ninja stalker or feral ninja nexus would both make most of the current Psis have a real bad time.

I do this too - we all get way too attached to our gear, and getting looted feels like a slap in the face. Getting full looted used to be the norm. Everyone nowadays spends so much time fine tuning their armor set and not engaging that it's difficult to see how you WOULDN'T be livid every time you die. I'd say roll up something that's less gear dependent that can focus on burst damage. An ogre ranger or feral ranger would do the trick. Make it a smurf if you want - that way you can play completely unfettered by gear, and still kick ass and take names.

Or make a Herald and get artifacts and just take people traveling everywhere. Speaking from experience, it's really rewarding. I had way more fun on Killian than I have on most characters - I think if he'd been a Herald, he would've lasted a lot longer.

This is my point, if things were balanced in the first place it would make dying that much more bearable.  I just witnessed myself get -12 INT from something the PSI just had to sit there and do.  Imagine if a ninja caltrapped you for -12 dex?  Would that make any sense?  How is it we don't look at this in the first place and say "hey wow that looks a little bit ridiculous.  I remember when you'd take a hit to the temple and drop your spell level 25 levels.  Are we not looking for problems before they become problem?  I want to know when I play a game, that.

A.  Its balanced

B. Its competitive

C. Its got that it factor.  (which we all know forsaken lands has.)

D.  That my time playing the game is valued by those that made it.

Now I can tell you that there are a few classes that are a bit unbalanced, but nothing way out of whack.  EXCEPT the Psionisist.  The whole secret of playing a PSI is so ridiculously simple with the way things are now.  Survive enough to drop mental (with this sexy whip they can do this unlimitedly NO CAP)  Why can I only chill touch three times?  Why can I only rust 3 times? Oh wait this also gets a save check.  Because anything else would be too strong.  

So Saves are now gone and a smart person would just run away.  Fight is won for the PSI.

REPEAT.

I've taken a shit ton of deaths from every single Psionisist I fought.  Its not balanced and the immortals are watching me die.  No hey we hear you on the forums we are talking about things.  I wouldn't want to make a game and watch my players get spoonfed like that.  I'd do my best to make sure all my players has a fun experience and it seems like watching me just die repeatedly without any hope.  This didn't stop me from RPING my characters.  I still did my best with both Mezila and Oiydi.  I didn't let the fact that I was fighting a broken PSI stop my role play.  Thats how much I care about the game.  How its played.

1 minute ago, Izzzzy said:

This is my point, if things were balanced in the first place it would make dying that much more bearable.  I just witnessed myself get -12 INT from something the PSI just had to sit there and do.  Imagine if a ninja caltrapped you for -12 dex?  Would that make any sense?  How is it we don't look at this in the first place and say "hey wow that looks a little bit ridiculous.  I remember when you'd take a hit to the temple and drop your spell level 25 levels.  Are we not looking for problems before they become problem?  I want to know when I play a game, that.

A.  Its balanced

B. Its competitive

C. Its got that it factor.  (which we all know forsaken lands has.)

D.  That my time playing the game is valued by those that made it.

Now I can tell you that there are a few classes that are a bit unbalanced, but nothing way out of whack.  EXCEPT the Psionisist.  The whole secret of playing a PSI is so ridiculously simple with the way things are now.  Survive enough to drop mental (with this sexy whip they can do this unlimitedly NO CAP)  Why can I only chill touch three times?  Why can I only rust 3 times?  Because anything else would be too strong.  

So Saves are now gone and a smart person would just run away.  Fight is won for the PSI.

REPEAT.

Hey man, we're agreeing, I just want you to think about it realistically. Psis were mostly balanced for a LONG time, with the exception of a few quirks here and there. There were VERY few Psis that were competitive for a LOOOOONG time. Like 10-15 years, maybe 2-3 psis that really stood out - at least a few of whom were abusing mechanics to be successful. And the reason? Mental saves were WIDELY available.

So now in a world with far lower saves thresholds, Psis are making a resurgence as a competitive class. Add this to the changes that have been made over the years BOOSTING the power of certain Psi abilities and paths (to make up for nerfs that rendered some paths largely unplayable), and you have an extreme outlier like we do now.

The question becomes, how do we move forward?

The answer is not asking the existing Psis to stop playing their class. In addition to not really being a fair punishment for people that have poured hundreds of hours into their characters, there's also the selfish reason not to ask them to stop. That being, we're going to need them for balance testing, if and when fixes/changes are implemented.

The answer is not to quit the game, because if you just rage delete or silently quit on account of something you believe is broken frustrating you to the point of no return, then it's unlikely to be fixed anytime soon. Not because it doesn't matter anymore once you delete - but because you can provide an incredibly useful example of how XYZ ability is overpowered or not functioning like it should.

So what can we as players do?

- We can ignore the issue, roll characters on the same side as the Psis, and not worry as we're on the strong team.

- We can roll a direct counter/bane to the class. Look at the individuals that aren't dying to the Psis - Ialethe. Lecitus. Rhoades? (maybe, idk for sure)

- We can roll an indirect counter to the class and just have fun throwing ourselves at them. Telling you, a dual whip feral ranger beastmaster would put a hurting on all these psis.

- We can roll an RP/non-PK character and enjoy everything else the game has to offer.

- We can quit.

Not saying one or more of those options are better than any others. But personally, I think you're a good dude and a good player, and I hate to lose you to a balance issue that I, short of being an IMM and being privy to the conversation, can virtually guarantee you the IMMs are aware of and having.  And I can only imagine/hope that there will be some changes coming down the pike that "flatten the curve" to use some pandemic terminology, by allowing other classes to have a fighting chance while not completely destroying the Psi class until it fades back into obscurity for another decade.

This is my point.  I should be able to play any class, and it be balanced to fight all other classes.  How many deaths does it take before enough is enough?  Puerilaug/Auldez/Oiydi/Mezila.

That's six months of this!  With Puerilaug I was fixed within 2 months to make Necros fair.  6 months later nothing done to the Psion.

If they don't care about me dying but cared enough about the players I was killing.  How is this not like slapping me in the face with my own dick?

Logs and suggestions on prayer - Ironically its the PSI players who are offering all the changes atm. 

Otherwise catch you later - short lived Watcher was a badass - more of a flash than anything else.

A leaving thread will NOT be turned into a debate. Thanks y'all.

Don't lie, you're not gone.  Wow you played both Mezila and Oiydi?  IDK how you have the time for it.  Listen, it sounds like you've been playing characters designed to specifically go after these Psi's and maybe that's why you're frustrated?  I barely see any of them on except Cirilha lately, and I've seen Aelythuen's player post a few times about fix suggestions.  Maybe just roll something not for the purpose of trying to kill psi's?

Archived