Beyond the Portal

Volgathras

• Implementor

Fate of the Starborne

Aabahran is a world of strife and conflict. Its peculiar combination of planar forces make it a battleground for powers that span the multiverse. Some of them are bent on destroying all that is good, and it is in the face of these threats that the Knight's Castle and its former commander, Ivesianna Starborne, stand.

For years a secret war has raged hidden from the populace. A legendary force of warriors known as the Shadow Hunters have paid in blood to keep chaos at bay - but they are losing ground. So it was that they approached Ivesianna Starborne for aid. A known ally, she would galvanize the power of the Knights and bring war to their enemy on their own turf.

We have come to the crucial juncture. The path to Aabahran has been opened, defended by a brave few. Word of the conflict now spreads and dark agents race to abuse it toward their own ends. What will the story's conclusion? What will be the fate of Ivesianna Starborne and the world that she protects?

The heroes - and villains - of Aabahran will be the ones to decide.

------------------------------------

Development of Beyond the Portal began in earnest in February of 2018. It is the brainchild of our own Ali_G, who designed everything from the setting, to loot, to boss mechanics. The youtube video above was created entirely by him in a dazzling display of talent. 

As is typical with projects like this, the area underwent several iterations and changes, along with a few stops and starts. However, after many hours of dedicated effort Beyond the Portal is now available for players to explore.

But be warned, this was designed to be FL's most difficult encounter to date. It is punishing, unforgiving and yet rewarding. Attempt to survive within the Rift at your own peril.

In addition to the general difficulty it is also the single most OLC intensive area I have ever been involved in. To help visualize how ambitious this is, consider these numbers;
- 88 rooms split between good and evil areas
- 70+ mobs

- 60+ objects
- 120+ mobile progs
- 40+ object progs
- 20+ room progs

Of course with ambition comes risk. Despite extensive testing Things will break and issues will arise. Some may take time to address and fix, so I beg patience as these bugs crop up. As always record them with as much detail as you can and post them in the bug forum as they arise. Neither FL or myself are responsible for any mental breakdowns that occur as a result of my poor coding.

With that, enjoy yourselves as Aabahran takes its first foray beyond the portal and into the Rift!

• Like 1
  • Love 4

• Implementor

It will be helpful to note that the start of this quest begins in different locations for goods and evils. For evils, you can look around the Northern Passage. For goods, there have been rumors of a recruitment officer sometimes spotted in Fort Blackwatch.

7 minutes ago, Volgathras said:

Yes, that is correct. The imp and the evil quest line remains open.

We need a better way to refer to this lol. You just said "yes that is correct" but also stated that the side that is still open is the opposite of the one I thought. 😛 

That said, your second post is perfectly clear on which side/quest is still open. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...