Necro: Mummy vs. Ghoul

Cephirus

I have played one Necro since the change and went Melee path with Mummy. I've seen some logs where others have gone Ghoul and wanted to see what peoples opinions are of them vs. Mummy. From what I understand Ghoul can hit them with Drained status for 3 ticks, or perhaps it keeps building up? Mummy seems to be the more preferred option for the less defensive Illithid player, but I've seen some go Ghoul as well.

Look forward to your suggestions and thoughts.

Actually going Negative path with this one, since I've already tried Bone (Melee).

I'm leaning towards Ghoul and just expecting to play very offensive, but the allure of Mummy to help give me a more forgiving buffer, especially against melee combos is very enticing.

1 hour ago, Cephirus said:

Actually going Negative path with this one, since I've already tried Bone (Melee).

I'm leaning towards Ghoul and just expecting to play very offensive, but the allure of Mummy to help give me a more forgiving buffer, especially against melee combos is very enticing.

They're both good.  Just depends what you will need more.  Negative has some strong stuff, I know I'd pick ghoul as negative you get a pet that autorescues anyways.  Pretty sure I saw another Negative Necro roaming about.  Maybe ask him in game.

I guess personally I don't think Invoker will be as much concern. If they are using mana shield then they won't be using a fully (or even any) mana charged weapon which means no double casts. I can focus on hitting them with energy drain and get ready for the chase when they run.

Magic-resistant races and combos like dwarf/halfing cleric/paladin are going to be interesting. Considering Negative path is documented (Necromancy Lore help files) as being the path to use against communer's is part of why I'm choosing it. I assume the corrosion and Infernal Link are de-facto skill/spell for those engagements.

41 minutes ago, Cephirus said:

I guess personally I don't think Invoker will be as much concern. If they are using mana shield then they won't be using a fully (or even any) mana charged weapon which means no double casts. I can focus on hitting them with energy drain and get ready for the chase when they run.

Magic-resistant races and combos like dwarf/halfing cleric/paladin are going to be interesting. Considering Negative path is documented (Necromancy Lore help files) as being the path to use against communer's is part of why I'm choosing it. I assume the corrosion and Infernal Link are de-facto skill/spell for those engagements.

I really dont know why you would think that because they are usisng mana shield they would not be using a charged weapon though. I 100% always pvped with a full staff and used mana shield whenever appropriate. Truthfully I rarely use a damaging shield unless its vs an ogre or fg.

6 minutes ago, 'tarako said:

I really dont know why you would think that because they are usisng mana shield they would not be using a charged weapon though. I 100% always pvped with a full staff and used mana shield whenever appropriate. Truthfully I rarely use a damaging shield unless its vs an ogre or fg.

Shit for once I agree with 'tarako

I'm destorying you with my FULLY CHARGED staff

With the amount of mana you can get on an invoker these days, I agree with @Izzzzy and @'tarako.  No way I'm going into a fight without mana shield and a fully charged staff staff vs. a necro.  Mana shield rounds don't take off much of your mana.  Most of my invokers have close to or above 1400 mana, if not 1500.  You're going to be eating double call lightning while your minions are taking off maybe 20-40 of my mana a round.

6 minutes ago, Erelei said:

Energy drain, anyone?

Necromancer vs Invoker should always end in the invoker running for their lives after you destroy their fully charged staff with a well timed energy drain.

well timed is in, one energy drain blows up the staff lol

Very true, but that is only if the energy drain works and they don't have two other fully charged stave.  The real problem for invokers is necromancers have literally every offensive toolkit in the game and you can't ignore any of it.  Ignore -aff and they will shatter/acid blast you to death.  Ignore -ac and the zombies will rip you to shreds.  Ignore mals and you get energy drained/poison/plague/ghoul touch.  Ignore mental and you get dispelled and put to sleep.

Even if you do prepare, their selectables make it so that they can somewhat overcome it with time and patience.

Against an invoker, if you stack -ment and -aff, you don't have to worry about anything else but damaging them.

1 hour ago, Cephirus said:

Exactly!

There are two spells I worry about as an invoker.  Silence and Energy drain.  I make sure my saves are decent enough to not get drained.  I think Zerg landed maybe 2 energy drains over 30 hours of us fighting.  They do land, but flee.....Mystic tendrils.  I will say I also set a trigger for Energy drain no matter what.  Cause why wouldn't I.....

flee

flee

flee

Meh. Energy drain happens. Keep backup staves, and dont spam out. and 1300 is the absolute minimum you need to be a fully prepared invoker. FL has established many times you shouldnt make a habit of doing the bare minimum. 1300 mana is a surefire recipe to consantly have to flee to mystic tendrils/

Archived