Vulghaan

'tarako

RIP the void priest. The changes to the core functionality of fire shield, and the interaction between having a resist and a vuln to the same thing essentially ignoring the resist spelled DOOM for a discord FG. I had planned on this one being around for a while, and was enjoying the interactions, but this type of complete skill change takes away every ounce of synergy the character had, so I am left with a character that pretty much gains no benefits from their divine intervention in PVP. Fire, ice, mental vulns with no resistances while divine int is up. 

Aegreus, sorry to come across so aggressive when we had the dispute about students. It was strictly in character, and while I as a player completely agree with your stance. I have actually fought with exactly the same stance you have on discord and forums, my character disagrees so it came to what it came to. I am also sorry that my open ended trade me or else action was taken so poorly by staff. I hope you didn't catch too much hell about it.

Karakos, fun fights early, and i understand how you switched towards the end. I had a lot of excitement playing this char but im not gonna stick around with a useless DI on a char that was built around all these synergies that suddenly got stripped, and every synergy replaced with a weakness. I have never laughed harder than knowing a gladiator was hoarding wands though lol.

I had a lot of fun fights, and did a lot of things that are obnoxious like soloing desolation, except the lurker, and soloing gear (even though I started with 3 claws). It DID need an adjustment somewhere but what was done specifically makes my combo one of the worst clerics possible tbh. If you are going to play an FG cleric, do not go discord religion. Ironically this change makes Feral likely to be the best choice for this particular religion.

The character was originally designed after fighting ragnomar, and a discussion in discord about how powerful chronoshield was. I will say that the original build was incredibly strong, I am stunned noone ever theory crafted it to take advantage of it before I did. I will also say that the vast majority of mysterum skills beyond Chronoshield are bad lol. A lot of them focus around fighting casters, which confused me to begin with. The L skill also seems incredibly underwhelming given it's limitations. That sub cabal should prolly be somewhere high on the list for a revamp, as it just doesn't really offer much. Basically I gave up the raw power of temporum to see what mysterum offered. It offered an incredible amount of staying power at the cost of any additional offensive ability. 

Sorry Gifnab, I enjoyed the character, but I am not really interested in signing up for a free extra vuln making sure every race and class can abuse my vulns lol.

I've never really been a fan of Mysterum.  I find it very underwhelming PK wise, but RP wise its phenomenal.  Cool toon.  I think when you prot the magic resilience you do gain some advantages   as a Fire giant.  The Low int and dex make it terrible as a Cleric in my Opinion with the way Melle hits these days.

Cool toon, good luck on your next.

I know how you feel. One of my favorite characters was an Avian Invoker...I got to T in watcher, and was doing pretty well in PK when mana shield was changed to no longer block air damage and suddenly my combo was broken and while I loved the RP and the character I just couldn't keep playing when I was basically handicapped in every fight so I deleted, rerolled as a new race and started over. I was super bitter for a couple days about it though. 

I interracted briefly with Vulghaan on two characters and found your RP very interesting. I wish some of it could have continued.

I completely agree. I was collecting logs to highlight what I felt would be good changes. As I said in discord the changes I had in mind where numerically similar, but gone about in a different way (by specifically targeting the demonfire spell to adjust its incoming damage reduction/amplification) and eliminating the portion that interacted with the mag resist. I just feel doing this by giving a vuln really takes synergies away. It gives me an extra vuln, with no synergy to back it up. It makes feral clerics the best clerics to use fire shield ironically. THAT seems incredibly awkward.

• Implementor
1 hour ago, 'tarako said:

I just feel doing this by giving a vuln really takes synergies away. It gives me an extra vuln, with no synergy to back it up.

It was mentioned that the way it worked before the change is you were taking 100% damage from fire and 75% damage from ice.  Now you're going to take 100% from both.

1 hour ago, 'tarako said:

It makes feral clerics the best clerics to use fire shield ironically. THAT seems incredibly awkward.

What's also awkward is that they would have taken 225% damage from fire before the change.  Now they take their normal 150%.

Additionally, this change affects invokers, who will now take more damage from the element opposite their shield.

13 hours ago, Kassieti said:

It was mentioned that the way it worked before the change is you were taking 100% damage from fire and 75% damage from ice.  Now you're going to take 100% from both.

A Fire giant taking 100% damage from fire, I would think they would only take 75%. Perhaps this is just due to his specific combination of affects?

• Implementor
59 minutes ago, Cephirus said:

A Fire giant taking 100% damage from fire, I would think they would only take 75%. Perhaps this is just due to his specific combination of affects?

A fire giant has a resist to fire damage.  A resist is 66% (or 2/3) damage taken.
Fire shield gives a vuln to fire damage.  A vuln is 150% (or 3/2) damage taken.
A resist plus a vuln of the same type, in this case fire, is equal normal damage.

100 * 2/3 * 3/2 = 100

13 minutes ago, Kassieti said:

A fire giant has a resist to fire damage.  A resist is 66% (or 2/3) damage taken.
Fire shield gives a vuln to fire damage.  A vuln is 150% (or 3/2) damage taken.
A resist plus a vuln of the same type, in this case fire, is equal normal damage.

100 * 2/3 * 3/2 = 100

Thanks for explaining that, now the 100% to Fire and Ice damage makes more sense.

Doesn't the application of a vuln make my fire giant "allergic" to fire things. Like if my fire whip, or flail, is disarmed I cannot pick it back up? Does it also let me cast my divine intervention to pickup a bonemeal, then I am an FG that can wield my own vuln weapon?

• Implementor
On 8/27/2020 at 6:04 PM, 'tarako said:

Doesn't the application of a vuln make my fire giant "allergic" to fire things. Like if my fire whip, or flail, is disarmed I cannot pick it back up? Does it also let me cast my divine intervention to pickup a bonemeal, then I am an FG that can wield my own vuln weapon?

Yes and no.

There is a separate list that prevents you from picking up certain material types.

Which is why a dwarf/duergar can't pick up water item (vuln_drowning) and a fire giant can't pick up cold or ice items (vuln_cold) and illithid (vuln_light) can pick up items made of material light, but necromancers can't pick up items made from life.

So your fire giant that gets a temporary fire vuln can still pick up his (or her) fire item.

Archived