Rygothran and Riona first encounter

Rygothran

Riona was somewhat at a loss after her ominous encounter with Lloth, uncertain as to how to prove her
worth to the Spider Queen. And yet, perhaps there was someone who could advice her on how to appease
Lloth, on how to gain her favour...

You tell Rygothran 'Ahh. I hear you have a particular appetite for the finer things in life: gold, gems, and other treasures. Yes?'
Rygothran tells you 'What is it you offer, half breed?'
You tell Rygothran 'It is no offer, but a gift. A minor token of respect to the most fearsome dragon to have have darkened the skies with his presence.'
Rygothran tells you 'A gift, you would give something without something returned?'
You tell Rygothran 'That is the very definition of a gift. The humble prostate themselves before the mighty, after all, appeasing them with lavish gifts.'
Rygothran tells you 'I recieved a gift once from a friend. It was a cage. I was there for eons. '
Rygothran tells you 'You would not do that to me, would you?'
You tell Rygothran 'Naturally, I have an ulterior motive: to gain your favour. I.. yes. If my gift is favourably received, I would have gained more than I part with. And I think it would be.'
You tell Rygothran 'It is beyond my capacity to snare someone like yourself. Except perhaps with sweet words and opulent gifts.'
You tell Rygothran 'Oh! I jest, by the way. Do not incinerate me.'

The smell of brimstone fills your nostrils.

Inside the Dragon's Tail
  You stand at the beginning of the stairway leading up from the ground
level, where the common room is located, to the guest quarters.  The
stairway leads through the dragon's tail, the sides broken by narrow slit
windows, which are hidden underneath the scales from the outside.  

[Exits: west up]
Rygothran the Mischievous Wyrm, Potentate of Avarice is here.

Rygothran growls 'A fitting place.'

Riona curtseys low before the Wyrm, eyes cast downwards. It is a pose that conveys humility and respect, one that she holds until Rygothran speaks. Looking up, she smiles. 'It is.'

Rygothran stares at you hungrily.

Rygothran says 'What is it you have for me?'

Riona approaches Rygothran with a bright smile on her lips. 'I think.. I hope.. you will be delighted.'

Rygothran bares his teeth in a... smile?

Riona kneels down before Rygothran, she extends her arms, holding up a ruby to Rygothran. It is a large gem, the size of a dove's egg, and masterfully shaped and polished into a cabochon.

You give a glowing ruby to Rygothran.

The great blue wyrm stares into the ruby.

It is truly a remarkable gem, capturing the light and refracting it in a way that makes the ruby seem to glow. Riona looks up at the dragon with bated breath, waiting for Rygothran's reaction.

Rygothran growls 'A gift, from a half breed. An odd gesture.'

A hint of worry in her voice, Riona asks, 'Is it not to your liking, then?'

Staring into the ruby a moment longer before turning to you, Rygothran says 'It is.'

Rygothran says 'What is your name, half breed?'

Riona breathes a sigh of relief, offering another smile. 'Wonderful. That is just wonderful.'

Riona rises to her feet and introduces herself, 'I am Riona Scaelyv.'

Rygothran slowly speaks, staring at you 'What is it you desire?'

Riona shakes her head from side to side. 'Nothing, truly. I would not try to bargain with the Great Wyrm as if he was a petty merchant.' It just -almost- sounds believable. Almost.

Rygothran shifts suddenly, digging his claws into the floor.

The great blue wyrm drops to his belly, staring at you.

Rygothran says 'Everyone wants something.'

Riona slowly brushes a hand through her hair, eyes narrowing slightly. 'I..'

Staring at you more intently, the dragon bares his teeth.

Rygothran says 'Speak it.'

Riona seems to be choosing her words carefully, 'I.. Are you familiar with the Spider Queen? She is a cruel mistress, one that I am not entirely certain how to appease...'

You say 'I figured who might better know the desires of the Pantheon than the Potentate of Avarice himself?'

A loud sound emits from Rygothran, almost sounds like a laugh.

Rygothran says 'You will never appease her. '

Riona slumps slightly, disappointment writ plainly on her face.

Rygothran says 'You choose a fickle mistess.'

You say 'I had no part in the choosing. I am hers by my heritage, it would seem.'

Rygothran growls 'Perhaps choose wisely, next time. There are others you can place your faith into.'

Rygothran says 'You have choices, do you not?'

Riona nods her head at Rygothran. She starts smiling again, sweetly. It is a captivating smile, one that seems almost second nature to her. 'I suppose I do.'

Rygothran stands suddenly, looking towards the exit 'Choices... there are those whom would not be so fickle.'

You say 'That is your advice, then? Seek someone who would shield me from her anger?'

Rygothran says 'She will never give you what you want, Riona.'

Rygothran paces around you once more.

A thoughtful expression settles on Riona's features, her forehead wrinkling and lips pursed together. 'Ahh. I fear you might be right.'

Rygothran says 'What is it you want?'

You say 'What I want?'

The great blue wyrm nods and says 'Yes.'

You say 'A life of luxury and comfort. The respect of my peers and the acknowledgement of my elders. A study of my own. To be loved by those close to me. All these things, and more.'

Sparks crackle from the nostrils of Rygothran as he speaks 'You could have all you seek and all you desire.'

You say 'I want to delve the mysteries of time and space itself, gaze beyond the veil that separates this realm from the others. I want so much, and sometimes it feels I have very little.'

Rygothran says 'You put your faith in the wrong goddess. She does not want anything but total domination.'

Rygothran says 'Your dreams, ambitions, goals.. mean nothing to her.'

You frown disapprovingly.

You say 'Then... what does -she- want?'

Rygothran speaks plainly 'Servitude.'

Rygothran says 'Even less, for you to throw yourself upon the stones.'

Rygothran says 'She will mend you so she might see you fail once more.'

Riona simply nods in response. 'Aye. I suppose this is what it feels like to be stuck between a rock and a hard place.'

Rygothran smiles once more, 'But all is not lost... you may place your faith elsewhere.'

Rygothran says 'You could have all and more.'

Rygothran fades slowly into the shadows in the corner of the room.

Bright eyes peer from the shadows 'Your every desire.'

You say 'I will have all that I seek. I will prove everyone who doubted me wrong. Even her, if I must.'

A whisper in your ear 'Shall you?'

Riona's gaze follows those eyes, watching them. When she hears the question, she nods with absolute certainty: 'I -will-.'

A serpent whispers in your ear 'We shall see, Riona Scaelyv.'

Something slithers along the back of your hand.

Inside the Dragon's Tail
  You stand at the beginning of the stairway leading up from the ground
level, where the common room is located, to the guest quarters.  The
stairway leads through the dragon's tail, the sides broken by narrow slit
windows, which are hidden underneath the scales from the outside.  

[Exits: west up]
     A magical spring flows from the ground here.

<<<Rygothran is gone>>>

Riona scratches her chin lightly, a thousand thoughts bounding around inside her head. What does all this mean? What will she do? She frowns and exhales a quiet sigh.

Riona mumbles to herself, 'At least he appreciated the gift..'

Rygothran snickers loudly behind you, sparks hitting your neck.

Riona turns around at the sudden sound, looking somewhat alarmed.

Rygothran says 'More questions?'

You say 'You scared me.'

Riona shakes her head. 'No. I was just.. thinking.'

Rygothran says 'What of, Riona?'

You say 'What my next step will be. And the one after that. The consequences of my choices. But in one thing you are right: the Spider Queen is a ruthless mistress.'

Rygothran lifts a crimson orb into the air, a dull hum emitting from it. 'Perhaps there is another way...'

Riona arches an eyebrow. 'What do you mean, another way?'

Watching the orb float into the air, Rygothran turns to look at you.

The great blue wyrm snickers once more as the orb disappears.

Rygothran says 'Pray to someone else.'

You say 'You misunderstand. I do not worship her. No, my devotion lies with Volgathras. Lloth.. stakes her claim to me through my mother's heritage.'

Rygothran freezes for a moment in thought.

Rygothran says 'It seems you are doomed.'

Rygothran snickers once more.

Riona blinks her eyes. Then she blinks again.

The great blue wyrm whispers 'I can save you.'

Hesitantly, Riona says, '..I would trade one cage for another, hrm? Is that your offer?'

Rygothran says 'I can give you everything you want and desire.'

Rygothran says 'Can Volgathras? Lloth?'

The great blue wyrm shakes its head before saying 'They will give you nothing but pain.'

Riona starts chewing on her bottom lip, eyes gleaming with desire. She takes a small step closer to the wyrm, then stops.

Rygothran says 'Dreams are too much for you, are they?'

Rygothran grins 'A life of servitude you have lived. You are used to sacrifice.'

Rygothran says 'I understand, slave.'

You say 'You do?'

Rygothran says 'No.'

Rygothran says 'I have never served.'

Rygothran bares his teeth 'I have always had what I desired.'

'Yes.' Riona bobs her head in a quick nod. 'Ahh! Always, I have been on the outside looking in.'

Rygothran holds out a long clawed hand, 'No longer. Take my hand.'

The half-breed stands at a crossroads. What will she do? Accept this sudden offer, move towards a life of luxury that she has always dreamed of? Or will Riona hold her course?

Riona approaches Rygothran, reaching up to take the offered claw. 'Yes.' She has given her answer.

Rygothran grins and explodes in a flash of light!

Startled, Riona jumps back.

Riona scratches the side of her head. 'What just happened...'

You feel a divine presence guide you to new found experiences!
You earn 14 rp points!

And just like that, Riona had been coaxed into betraying not only one deity, but two. Such a clever dragon.
She was outraged, mostly at herself, and disappointed that she had been so easily swayed by promises of
luxury and comfort. Her thoughts started racing: If either of them found out, she would be harshly punished.
What was she going to do now? A feeling of helplessnes swept over her, a feeling she had thought conquered
many a years ago.