Adventurers & Equipment Level Restrictions

Gifnab

Adventurers can advance to L50

The newbie-friendly, non-PK adventurer class has gotten a facelift and may now advance to level 50. They have also received some new skills and spells to assist in their progress and exploration.

Note: Adventurers that abuse their non-PK status to insult PK characters, interfere in PK battles, etc. will be made to choose a guild immediately, or may have their PK protection revoked.

Equipment Level Restrictions

We have made a change to coincide with the decision to allow Adventurers to progress to Level 50. Effective immediately, any object that is above level 30 will zap you if that item is 10 levels higher than your character level.

Example:
A level 15 character WILL NOT be zapped by a level 26 item
A level 30 character WILL be zapped by a level 41 item

This has been done to prevent L50 adventurers from remorting with a full suit of L50 gear.

We are aware that there may be frequently used items with an item level higher than the level range they are utilized by. If/when you find items that meet this criteria, please let us know so that we can look into adjusting the item level.

You know I am actually a huge fan of this. Over the years you get chars that pop up every now and then who sit and spam bounties while they are level 42 until they get a suit of EQ then they hit 50. Also advents to 50 is awesome. Serious kudos to whoever came up with this, and all the effort that went into disussing what skills they should get. 10/10, will roll super adventurer.

41 minutes ago, 'tarako said:

Over the years you get chars that pop up every now and then who sit and spam bounties while they are level 42 until they get a suit of EQ then they hit 50.

This isn't really going to be affected all that much.  A L42 character can pick up and wear L52 gear.

24 minutes ago, myrek said:

I might be the only person who hates level-restricted equipment, but I might hate it enough for everyone. 

And what's wrong with characters sitting at 42 spamming bounties? If that's a problem, solve it limiting contracts to PK range. 

I'm not a large fan myself.  I've played a few MUDs that had level restrictions on equipment, though considerably more strict.  You couldn't wear anything higher than your current level.  Needless to say, I didn't linger long.  So I'm not a massive fan.

At least here with the 10-level above over L30, it's workable.

L1-20 can wear armor up to L30.  L21-50 can wear at level + 10.  Which is more or less where items are supposed to sit anyway.  You're not supposed to take items from people unless you could get the item yourself in a group of your peers.  Those few store bought items, you can't buy unless you're that level anyway.

Yes, it does mean that you as a level 1 character can't walk to Crystalmir and pick up the items from the storm giant officers.  Yes, it means as a lowbie you're probably not going to be able to pick up a ton of items from pits.  It also means you need to be L40 before you start picking up the high end gear like your Avalon item and some of the stuff from the Keep of Myrran Dammel.

But you'll still be able to hold onto that Elemental Canyon gear and a bit more when you remort.

I don't get the thieves part of the rule, but maybe that is just me.

As far as level restriction goes, there are a few base items I would say could use some looking into.  The black Knight post 40 is more of a pain.  Why he wouldn't have warmaster skills prior to lvl 40 is pointless now.  No one would bother fighting him sub-40 (You can't touch most of the Avalon gear as it is lvl 50).  

3 minutes ago, myrek said:

Originally there were no restrictions on gear or corpse looting. Thieves were except from corpse looting restrictions. I assume this is an extension of that.

I get that part of it as the extension, I don't get the logical reasoning.  Said thief is going to do what with the armor but wear it?  So, we have thieves able to pick and wear level 55 items at level 30-50, but not anyone else?  Kill a thief at early levels and if they are wearing endgame items you cannot touch it, only sac it?

I think this is a very interesting set of changes and am looking forward to checking out Adventurer going to 50 (for the experience of it). I imagine this has been discussed already, but will adventurer's be able to join a clan/cabal (such as Merchant/Herald)? Also, given the item level restriction and other things mentioned, will they also now be able to hold rares, or are rares still off the table for them?

Archived