End of the Road

sarcon

it's the end of the Road for me. I have had a great 20+ years with FL. I have had up's downs, and some real memories with FL over these years. I remember the early days when I couldn't even get a toon passed 30 because of all of the wars and intensity. I remember getting so excited just for an emerald sword, man those were some fun times. I have been Leader of a handful of Cabals and truly got to expand and enjoy some fun RP. I am by no means a writer but I tell ya what, this game brought out some serious story telling from myself that I didn't even know I was capable of. The overall immersion was just amazing. 

There was a time when you had the Top Tier PK'ers just banging it out to see who was the King of the hill and just going at each other. I can remember so many epic battles that really got my juices running and would bring the best out of me. Truth be told, I play muds for PK purposes, even though the immersion, friends and RP has a huge part, for me personally the thrill of fighting and trying to be better was what drove me. Trying to figure out different tactics, playing styles and new combos was the best part. 

There was a point when everyone would bang it out and really get you hooked on some epic cabal wars. Obviously over time, things have changed and even the once elite players started pulling on tactics that newbies would use. The type of tactics that would make them only fight, if x,y,z and all the stars were alined up perfectly for them to have an advantage. If the fight was even remotely challenging for them, they would suddenly avoid all fights and result to some serious watered down nonsense. I've jumped back in now for about 1 year since my long break, and promised I would give a good year of playing to see how things are, hoping that the thing that I once loved would resurface, however, I have realized now that it is gone.. and gone for good. I don't expect people to fight someone only on their terms, i would just hope they would go toe to toe where both parties were in an even situation, but alas, many won't even do that. Hiding behind cabal guards, allowing standards to dissolve and not bringing them back, Syndi's only coming to fight you if they can abduct you.. even when you are at war... Like "oh no.. I won't fight if it's a heads up battle and I need to get my standard.. because then I won't have the advantage... I need everything to be perfect in order for me to even engage" 

It's gotten so bad that there are literally, only 4 players in the mud right now that are still G's across all their toons. You would think over the years this mud would only get better, that is typically how things progress, not get worse, however the decline is real. Look how many players have left and now all that is left is a shadow of what it once was. I would advise to really look at the mud and how things are and really try and do something different before it's all gone. 

There is not all bad things, there are still good things happening and hopefully the mud can be turned around. However, I have officially retired. I'm going to give a new mud a shot because thus far what I have seen and experienced is very refreshing and it reminds me of what FL could have been. 

I've deleted Wikaz my most recent player and I need to give some shout outs 

Aegreus - Man, you were like my bro in the game, we did everything together man. All of our encounters were absolutely awesome and you and Krawtor really made things fun. Going to miss all our adventures. I loved fighting you with Treetin and kinda sucked I didn't get a chance to have a fun Challenge with Wikaz

Krawtor - Another brother of Wikaz, man we did a lot and had some absolutely EPIC challenges man. We banged it out and really pushed each other to the edge. I had some serious plans for us but I'm sure you will keep things going. 

Over the years I've had some great interactions with the Imms so you shout out to you all, especially Ulms who has been super solid considering how many dam Watchers I've rolled up  man. It's been a crazy ride and I will forever remember all of you. I've tried my best to be as immersive as possible and hopefully over my long tender here and over my Characters I was able to contribute or bring a rememberable element to anyone I've interacted with. 

It's been fun and thanks to everyone that made this game great. 

Sarcon Signing off. Officially retiring from FL 

I'm not the type to pull punches, so I'm not gonna pull punches. Sorry...

This type of post always screams "rage delete". Curiously, after several paragraphs of talking about other people putting their big boy pants back on... the ironic thing is that you have failed to do just that. To my recollection, 10-15 years ago we used to make fun of the people that rage deleted and had a special phrase for them: "toughen up, Princess." That turn of phrase has largely fallen out of favor and people have gotten more sensitive about its use, but I think it applies here.

The last few posts I've read from you have been about things not being to your liking. That's fine. If you aren't enjoying yourself, fine. If you don't enjoy the atmosphere or environment anymore, fine. It's a game, after all. You're supposed to be having fun. But let's not pretend the problem here isn't your own.

You said you want to get better at PK? Here's my advice/challenge to you, whether you ignore it or take it to heart: Toughen up, princess. You are a part of this game world, but only a part. PK doesn't revolve around you. Earn it. Be a part of it. Take what you want, and if you aren't strong enough, get stronger. The only thing rage deleting does is cement the fact that you can't hack it at the top. Because the single most consistent factor of this game for every single minute of the last twenty years has been that the "OGs", the "big boys", the "top tier" PKers you were idolizing in your post? They knew how to pick themselves up and dust themselves off after a loss. They didn't bitch when they were losing, and they SURE as shit didn't bitch when they were winning. And they did what they had to do to win (some of them with more class than others).

So why people feel the need to lay into the game and the community when they leave is beyond me. There is still blood pumping, heart pounding PK to be had here. There is still immersive, mindmeltingly good storytelling and RP here. But in a time where it feels like "every player is sacred" because of the smaller playerbase, we've lost sight of the fact that we AREN'T actually sacred and the game doesn't revolve around us. We've grown selfish, and lazy, and overly sensitive. Honestly, we've developed a very "Karen"-like attitude, where we demand things go our way, and if they don't, we're going to cause a scene, scream at the managers, shout "You've lost my business!", and storm out angrily. And that's nobody's fault but our own.

You want to see FL be better? Then. Be. Better.

43 minutes ago, EllaThePuppy said:

This type of post always screams "rage delete". Curiously, after several paragraphs of talking about other people putting their big boy pants back on... the ironic thing is that you have failed to do just that. To my recollection, 10-15 years ago we used to make fun of the people that rage deleted and had a special phrase for them: "toughen up, Princess." That turn of phrase has largely fallen out of favor and people have gotten more sensitive about its use, but I think it applies here.

The last few posts I've read from you have been about things not being to your liking. That's fine. If you aren't enjoying yourself, fine. If you don't enjoy the atmosphere or environment anymore, fine. It's a game, after all. You're supposed to be having fun. But let's not pretend the problem here isn't your own.

You said you want to get better at PK? Here's my advice/challenge to you, whether you ignore it or take it to heart: Toughen up, princess. You are a part of this game world, but only a part. PK doesn't revolve around you. Earn it. Be a part of it. Take what you want, and if you aren't strong enough, get stronger. The only thing rage deleting does is cement the fact that you can't hack it at the top. Because the single most consistent factor of this game for every single minute of the last twenty years has been that the "OGs", the "big boys", the "top tier" PKers you were idolizing in your post? They knew how to pick themselves up and dust themselves off after a loss. They didn't bitch when they were losing, and they SURE as shit didn't bitch when they were winning. And they did what they had to do to win (some of them with more class than others).

So why people feel the need to lay into the game and the community when they leave is beyond me. There is still blood pumping, heart pounding PK to be had here. There is still immersive, mindmeltingly good storytelling and RP here. But in a time where it feels like "every player is sacred" because of the smaller playerbase, we've lost sight of the fact that we AREN'T actually sacred and the game doesn't revolve around us. We've grown selfish, and lazy, and overly sensitive. Honestly, we've developed a very "Karen"-like attitude, where we demand things go our way, and if they don't, we're going to cause a scene, scream at the managers, shout "You've lost my business!", and storm out angrily. And that's nobody's fault but our own.

43 minutes ago, EllaThePuppy said:

Ella, Honestly. Every toon you have had has been by far one the reasons I'm not playing any more. Hence the reason you are trying to voice your opinion to be the voice for the trash style of play that hurts this game. Your are def at the top of the list. it's players like you that will kill this mud. The stuff you have done over your time here is the cream if the crop. Keep doing you bro and keep defending people like you. I don't need to look inwards, I play with class and have always been down to rise and fight anyone on any day at any place . WE BOTH know you can't say that. 

Certain mechanics have led to what you're experiencing. 

Time it takes to get promo's to better compete.

Rp points and advantages one has over newly established chars.

Having to wait until the beginning of the month to get gear back after you die and get looted.

Why risk dying when the path to recovery is so difficult? That's just how it is and all I can do is accept it and try to have fun where I can. Sometimes I feel like I'm also nearing the end of my playtime here. Does this suddenly mean it has anything to do with a rage delete? The risk of rage deletes have always been there, its whether its worth putting in the effort to make a comeback. 

We have so few left. Then when someone quits and tells you there reason we just say 'toughen up'? Like seriously? Wouldn't it be a better idea to analyze and work on why he quit? If one person quit for that reason theirs a good chance others aren't far behind. 

@EllaThePuppy hit the nail on the head here. @sarcon, you and @Izzzzy both have this mentality that others should fight on your demands and if they don't they are suddenly viewed as lesser. Let me clue you both in on something here.

1. PK isn't just fighting. It is also RP. Aegreus might surrender all unfair advantages and fight you "honorably", but Sarindel might take every dirty handed trick in the book to win. PK is an aspect of RP and you are failing to realize this. This game is not a PvP mud. It is an RP enforced mud that incorporates PK.
  2. No on owes your opinion anything. You want people to fight on your terms with your rules? Make your own MUD. Stop calling people out for garbage when it is both within the rules and within fair play. You don't like it? Grow up. No one cares.
  3. You're not some "OG" badass killer. Do you know how I know this? You have rolled 10 druid warders back to back to back because you know the race/class/cabal combo is broken. Same shit with @Izzzzy. He rolls ten damn Necromancers, spams dispel, gets his ass beat, then deletes and rolls another and claims how "gangsta" he is. He isn't. You aren't. You are attempting to abuse mechanics and when they don't work you blame other people for not being "OG" and fighting on your terms.

You're not some badass.

You offer a lot to this game when you drop this charade of PK superiority and play to have fun. I know this because I've seen it from you in the past. Some of your blademasters, for instance, have been memorable in both PK and RP, but as of late your characters are solely PK driven. You're better than the above characteristics you've displayed.

You've forgotten this game isn't about fighting against the odds. Being "king of the hill". Winning PK after PK. Its about enriching the environment, creating GOOD memories with the community, and enjoying your time, as well has helping others enjoy their time here. Can you say you've done that with your past 5 druid warders? 

We're not the ones that lost our way. You're the one that misplaced the value in the game. I sincerely hope you don't leave, but if you do, know that it is due to your own misconceptions about how the game should be, not our's.

The "golden-age of PK" wasn't some honorable, dignified PK. I've been here since 1.0. It was full of gangs, full loots, attacking people when they literally JUST finished a fight, and gloating all the way through it.

Iyorvin the Eldritch Godslayer. Easily the most badass fucking title in the game was earned through a gang. He watched an IMM who had lost their immortality shield and two others players fight until they were nearly dead and he came in spamming icestorm. Capped them all and suddenly Festorvian's Invoker, Iyorvin, is some ultra badass.

Narnokles, Despiser's badass Reaver DK, the first Dk to get dual malforms then quit and joined Herald. He obtained his malforms by tricking newbs, ganging hurt players, wrecking inductees, and trapping people behind no-pass doors while he held the key.

Iyorvin and Narnokles are regarded as legends and yet they did the most under handed shit to get their reputation. So knock it off. This nonsense you spewing is your own excuse as to why you lost. 

First and foremost @Trick I have killed many of your toons and fox's toons and not many can say that. And that is fact. @tassinvegeta is the one that hit it on the nail, and that is a fact. 

You wanna know another fact? When I play I play WAY MORE THAN any other player. I can log rack up 500 hours with each toon like it's nothing. My play time is 50X more and izzy's play time is 50X more than almost anybody when they are play this mud. Not no 1 hour here, 2 hours there. I'm talking 10 hours here, 5 hours there, 15 hour power sessions. So when I'm talking about the overall feel and sense of the community THERE IS NOT MANY that have as much experience interacting with others as I or Izzy did. 

So when I am expressing myself, this is not coming from a place of hate, a place of on my high horse, this is coming from a place with interacting with EVERYONE and observing, watching and full immersion. Not many can say that and not many can comment from a place with that type of play time. 

The way the Imm's handle things, the way that everyone has become so soft and sensitive and so afraid to die has watered down the mud so bad, that 90% of the people that play this mud, play like a bunch of scared little kittens. It wasn't always like that. There were many moments of greatness. Great players, great interactions, great battles and overall great immersion. 

Then you know what happened? Suddenly there were armor and items that made a massive difference in the way people played. Everyone is trying to get a GOD SUIT. If you didn't have a god suit you didn't fight. Then when you had the few top players that knew how to dress, and knew great battle tactics... guess what, it was massively lop sided and you know what they would do? INCLUDING YOU. Steam roll everyone and then when you finally got some competition you would acted like a little scared cat. I have fought cabals with Fox, Twinblades and a few any nasty ones, and guess what I did? I went at them head on. I didn't run, I didn't hide, I didn't get my standard then go curl up in a ball and wait for it to leave, I didn't run to Sarah and them in Val Miran, I didn't later try to pit hump one of you's while you were fighting someone else.. I put in all I had and was determined to learn and grow. 

The mud has turned into a scared bunch of sensitive watered down players. It has killed everything that made it amazing. I was always well balanced and did both PK and RP.. and you wanna know why it's been getting to me more? Because I care. You know why I get frustrated more? Because I want FL to hold onto what made this mud have like 40-50 people on the who list. You talk about me rolling druids because they are broken? Give me a break, the only reason I rolled druids was because the sheer amount of farming you have to do in order to be at peak, keeps me INTERESTED and something to do. They are far from broken. If they were so broken there would be a million of them. If they were far from broken everybody would have one and everybody would be owning. Show me who else has taken Druids as far as I have? Name them? So give me a break. I stopped playing doomblades because when I was a doomblade, there was a point when they were way to OP. I could take on multiple people and never be in danger. When I had my Clerics, same thing. So I decided to choose something different that keeps me engaged. Talk about me picking because it's broken? Trix you are the MASTER at finding a broken class and milking that, so don't for one second tell me about broken classes. 

You want to know how to fix your broken game? So people will fight and not be afraid to lose stuff? Have EQ everywhere that gives people a strong enough base like Halloween madness that is easy to obtain. Have key pieces that anyone can get anytime and then have just a handful of unique and cool things that can give you a slight edge. Instead of only have like 4 people with all the best stuff and mopping everyone up and even those people act like little kittens the moment someone of worth steps up to the plate and challenges them.. they become afraid to lose their god suit and have to build back up so now you have these so called bad boys/girls now acting like newbies with basic armor. 

Once you start giving people armor that can easily give them base stats of -450 / -500 that they can get anytime, and some -20 Saves you will have be actively willing to fight and not worry about losing stuff. You will have people that will actually engage in Cabal warfare right away instead of praying and hoping for Trusted or E before they even start taking risk. You will have people challenge themselves and push themselves to the limits which in return will push other people farther and further. One by one people are leaving, one by one a lot of the same concerns are not being addressed. It saddens me knowing that something I grew up on, something I spent years playing, lost jobs for and gave it everything I had.. is on such a decline that eventually you will only have a max 3 people on the who list. Everything I say comes from a place of love, not a place of me being full of myself. Again, I am gone and I am gone for good. Take what you can from me leaving and Izzy has left and try to do something with it.. because it's not everyday you will get players that will play as much as we do. 

You have to understand, the moment people are not afraid to lose stuff. Not afraid to die. Not afraid to get steamrolled by someone else... guess what happened? They don't log off right away when a challenges comes, they don't avoid combat, they don't avoid cabal warfare... they will actually stick around and guess what happens next? Then there will be more immersion, more building the community, more interactions and cool plots. You don't get it... It ALL stems from having great fights and feeling accomplished, that's what get's people hooked. That is the CORE functionality that gets people hyped to play, hyped to be better, hyped to contribute to their cabal and hyped to try new things. That's when you can truly build your community, enjoy fun banter, enjoy full immersion. It starts from there. The moment you understand that, then the moment you will understand why people have left and why things are the way they are. It's not just about King of the Hill, be the best Pker and its only PK PK PK.. However, that is the core that will help everything else flourish. You just don't get it. 

8 hours ago, sarcon said:

I don't expect people to fight someone only on their terms, i would just hope they would go toe to toe where both parties were in an even situation, but alas, many won't even do that.

I never have any trouble with this. I literally don't know what is to have a opposing cabal menber log off because of me.

It takes Two to PK and it takes two to tango. People avoid you because you just aren't attractive to fight.

Ppl don't PK because their enemy want's to pk them, they do because they want to PK their enemy.

Sure playing a Avatar Ogre warrior, or a Storm crusader, or a Drow Invoker Reaver, or a warder Druid, or a Werebeast beastmaster dual whipper, or an Avatar ninja is fun for the owner. But your opponents will fight once, twice and notice they are out of your league. Then they will just avoid you.

I dislike being in cabal with these sort of players because they then to make my oposition log off.

Now speaking to you Sarcon. Do you think that is fun for other players to fight a Druid Watcher? That combo covers so much damage reduction that's insane. Same for halflings warders. Ppl look at that and go nope, I'm wasting my time. Sure you may dream to PK fame with a power combo, but ther other players aren't enticed to fight you (except Tarako, praised be he). Who wants to fight a char that takes almost no damage and can camo or PORTAL out when at risk?

I don't see ppl avoiding me because, I don't take ppl standatds and this remove their powers, I don't play power combos, my chars lose more engagements than they win, giving that feeling that just a bit more push and they would have the kill. I don't loot ppl. I do not promise to full loot people the moments I get upset at something. In sum I'm an attractive player to PK and that ensures me that I have fun.

But Sarcon you are extremely right on something. Game balance since 1.0 has changed towards allowing stuff that makes PK unatractive. One is equipment which is being adressed. The other are survival tools which isn't.

There are a lot of survival tools the players have said detract from PK fairness that have crept up along the years. That prevent ppl from dieing when they should, specially the Elites who know and use them.

To name a few, skylauncher, cloaks of cursed recall, energy pills, refresh spellforge, cure light spell forge, cabal eq auto cures. Etc...

I will probably speak more about this at a latter time.

8 hours ago, EllaThePuppy said:

I swear I didn't hack Ella's account and write this.  :P

PK that is flat and lacks a story behind is not satisfying in the least.  PK that has a build-up to it, even if there's no declared winner, is still way better than just picking a fight.  I get steamrolled so often on my current it's like nothing I've ever experienced...but i get a lot of joy in just surviving to fight another day with it.  It's all what you want to get out of it.  Playing 5, 10, 15 hours at a time?  That's toxic.  I get it when you first get cabal'd and you just do random shit for the timer but dude....the game doesn't play on that kind of time scale.  It often takes several weeks, months to move plots along, to get the gear you need to fight certain combos, or RP edges you might need.  Take that shit into perspective, play your role and if it gets stagnant with your current -- IDK roll another one or find another pass time and come back in a few days.  I think that's generally what most of us do.  PK is stressful.  Typing all that shit, as fast as it's required, burning through consumables, all of it.  It takes a toll on me.  I'm sure it does on others.  So yeay, if I win a PK, don't expect me to just be in the mood to have round 2.  I'm sure the same goes for other players. 

Edit: Or roll a Warmaster and have all the training-wheels PK you want ;)  (kidding kinda)

4 hours ago, sarcon said:

First and foremost @Trick I have killed many of your toons and fox's toons and not many can say that. And that is fact. @tassinvegeta is the one that hit it on the nail, and that is a fact. 

No, that's your opinion. A fact is something that's indisputable. An opinion is something that you say because you believe it, but can't prove to be unequivocally true.

You wanna know another fact? When I play I play WAY MORE THAN any other player. I can log rack up 500 hours with each toon like it's nothing. My play time is 50X more and izzy's play time is 50X more than almost anybody when they are play this mud. Not no 1 hour here, 2 hours there. I'm talking 10 hours here, 5 hours there, 15 hour power sessions. So when I'm talking about the overall feel and sense of the community THERE IS NOT MANY that have as much experience interacting with others as I or Izzy did. 

So when I am expressing myself, this is not coming from a place of hate, a place of on my high horse, this is coming from a place with interacting with EVERYONE and observing, watching and full immersion. Not many can say that and not many can comment from a place with that type of play time. 

Okay? I have put plenty of playtime in too. So has everyone else here. Just because you can sit online doesn't mean you suddenly are the only one with a right to an opinion, or that your opinion is the only one that's valid. C'mon dude, this just feels lame to even read, I can't imagine how it felt to write.

The way the Imm's handle things, the way that everyone has become so soft and sensitive and so afraid to die has watered down the mud so bad, that 90% of the people that play this mud, play like a bunch of scared little kittens. It wasn't always like that. There were many moments of greatness. Great players, great interactions, great battles and overall great immersion. 

Okay, so now it's the staff's fault for coddling people. No wait, it's the staff's fault for not giving people promos and q-things fast enough. No wait, it's the staff's fault for making armor too rare. No wait, it's the staff's fault for making armor to common.

You know what happened when the staff were dicks? People left and said it was because the staff were dicks. You know what happens now that the staff is "too soft"? People quit and say it's because the staff is too soft. Stop blaming it on the staff. Put on your big boy pants and take ownership for your ish.

Then you know what happened? Suddenly there were armor and items that made a massive difference in the way people played. Everyone is trying to get a GOD SUIT. If you didn't have a god suit you didn't fight. Then when you had the few top players that knew how to dress, and knew great battle tactics... guess what, it was massively lop sided and you know what they would do? INCLUDING YOU. Steam roll everyone and then when you finally got some competition you would acted like a little scared cat. I have fought cabals with Fox, Twinblades and a few any nasty ones, and guess what I did? I went at them head on. I didn't run, I didn't hide, I didn't get my standard then go curl up in a ball and wait for it to leave, I didn't run to Sarah and them in Val Miran, I didn't later try to pit hump one of you's while you were fighting someone else.. I put in all I had and was determined to learn and grow. 

Dude... using tactics, strategy, and the environment has always been part of the game. Did you really expect that I was going to sit outside and let you thunder storm me to death with my BMG, because that was somehow a more grandiose, strategic PK battle than ducking into and out of indoor rooms so you couldn't? Like seriously...

The fact that other people know how to use their environment and you refuse to learn doesn't make you hardcore. It doesn't make you a badass. It doesn't make you an OG. It just makes you a lousy PKer.

5 hours ago, sarcon said:

The mud has turned into a scared bunch of sensitive watered down players. It has killed everything that made it amazing. I was always well balanced and did both PK and RP.. and you wanna know why it's been getting to me more? Because I care. You know why I get frustrated more? Because I want FL to hold onto what made this mud have like 40-50 people on the who list. You talk about me rolling druids because they are broken? Give me a break, the only reason I rolled druids was because the sheer amount of farming you have to do in order to be at peak, keeps me INTERESTED and something to do. They are far from broken. If they were so broken there would be a million of them. If they were far from broken everybody would have one and everybody would be owning. Show me who else has taken Druids as far as I have? Name them? So give me a break. I stopped playing doomblades because when I was a doomblade, there was a point when they were way to OP. I could take on multiple people and never be in danger. When I had my Clerics, same thing. So I decided to choose something different that keeps me engaged. Talk about me picking because it's broken? Trix you are the MASTER at finding a broken class and milking that, so don't for one second tell me about broken classes. 

"I like to farm at peak because it gives me something to do." -Sarcon

-Also Sarcon

5 hours ago, sarcon said:

You want to know how to fix your broken game? So people will fight and not be afraid to lose stuff? Have EQ everywhere that gives people a strong enough base like Halloween madness that is easy to obtain. Have key pieces that anyone can get anytime and then have just a handful of unique and cool things that can give you a slight edge. Instead of only have like 4 people with all the best stuff and mopping everyone up and even those people act like little kittens the moment someone of worth steps up to the plate and challenges them.. they become afraid to lose their god suit and have to build back up so now you have these so called bad boys/girls now acting like newbies with basic armor. 

Once you start giving people armor that can easily give them base stats of -450 / -500 that they can get anytime, and some -20 Saves you will have be actively willing to fight and not worry about losing stuff. You will have people that will actually engage in Cabal warfare right away instead of praying and hoping for Trusted or E before they even start taking risk. You will have people challenge themselves and push themselves to the limits which in return will push other people farther and further. One by one people are leaving, one by one a lot of the same concerns are not being addressed. It saddens me knowing that something I grew up on, something I spent years playing, lost jobs for and gave it everything I had.. is on such a decline that eventually you will only have a max 3 people on the who list. Everything I say comes from a place of love, not a place of me being full of myself. Again, I am gone and I am gone for good. Take what you can from me leaving and Izzy has left and try to do something with it.. because it's not everyday you will get players that will play as much as we do. 

This has to be the single most laughable statement/suggestion I have ever read on how to "fix" this game. "Make the game like Halloween madness where you can just keep going and going in PK." You want to know why I find this so funny? 

Every year, for nearly 20 years, the same god damn thing happens on Halloween Madness. HM goes live and there are a handful of people on. They roll stupid combos, they get insta promoted to T or E or L, they get whatever q-thing they want instantly, and they get a suit of armor that supplies them with decent stats. Then they battle each other... and they battle each other... and they battle each other... for about two or three hours.

And then they log out. And they wait for Halloween Madness to end, so they can go back to the real game and play the character they enjoy.

Why is this the case, you ask? Investment. Investment in the character. Investment in the game world. Investment in the community. Eliminating all the risk, eliminating all the strategy, eliminating all the investment is a GUARANTEED recipe to kill this game. So nothing, more than this statement here, makes it painfully evident that you DO NOT SEE THE BIGGER PICTURE.

So let me help you out. Want to know some of the best steps toward actually "fixing" (read: improving) the game?

• Cut mob experience by half or more.
  • Cut guild quest experience by like 80%.
  • Double cabal entrance requirements and have a mandatory minimum wait of one week from character creation before you can get in a cabal.
  • Make q-thing applicants wait AND require continuing engagement, not just "I wrote my two journals and my history, and bashlocked one guy at L15. Demon plz."
  • Make people do something impressive before handing them trusted. Make them wait AND do something MORE impressive before handing them elder or leader.

Do you know why these things will make the game better? Because they'll make it so that people are actually invested in their character more than they're invested in the suit of armor they're wearing. They'll make it so that people think twice before they hit that second delete.

Do you know why the imms won't do it? Because players will whine, and bitch, and moan if they do.

Tbh sarcon the attitude you put out makes a lot of people not want to bother. I know as my druid i was routinely fighting 2v1 vs you and izzy, and the moment I wasnt lining up for a tag you got mad. Fast forward to me playing tenebris and you avoided me like the plague. It was all druid gates and camouflage. PExpecting people to just stand there for fights they are not prepared for is unfair, and blaming it on some crazy idea that everone is soft is hilarious. The pvp today is much more technical, and demanding than its ever been. My suggestion is roll an evil, and start wars. Playing neutrals and expecting everyone to line up and let you go to town is stupid.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting change. So keep doing what you doing. Because it is obviously working. So many new players and nobody ever stops playing. 

But you are right, it's just my opinion and all I can do is express what I feel. Take it for what you want and I wish you all the best. I might be digging in a bit right now, but again it came from a good place. 

46 minutes ago, sarcon said:

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting change. 

In about the last year ive noticed that the largest % of anything you say is bent around pvp, or thinly veiled flame shoutouts. Now on one hand i understand frustration. I experienced a few times myself, i still have to respect what others want to do with their playtime as much as i want mine to be respected. Someome wants to maintain a lighter profilen and be more rp oriented, sweet. They want to go balls out spending 50% of their day to day life just giving the pk range hell, more power to them. Fl needs both halves of the spectrum. What FL does not need is a constant threat of being publicly called out and mocked for what end of the spectrum they are on.

Again you guys are missing the point. You can focus on me and say Sarcon is this and Sarcon is that if it makes you feel better. What I am trying to make you understand is very simple. 

Almost all great movies, stories or moments in history have all stemmed from conflict in almost every scenario. I'm not trying to sit here and say that it's only PK and no RP, no, that's not what I'm saying. I am trying to express to you all that some of the best RP usually comes from conflict. I can bet you all the journals are about how this family member died, this happen to you and so forth and you rose up and became who you are today because of conflict. Conflict is the backbone to everything. 

I can tell you this. Typically when you fight people in this game 80% of the time you can absolutely steam roll over an opponent, then there is the 20% where it is close. That is a massive gap. Some could sit here and say it comes down to skill, but truth be told it comes down to who knows how to synergies their armor the best with that class. It's an army heavy game. Because of the this has been, people will drop off because they are tired of getting steamrolled and think that it's something to do with them, like they suck, or they don't know how to play. Then they eventually fade. Again, I'm saying this from a good place. The culture has changed because of these dynamics and many people will log off, not play and avoid situations at all cost because they don't want to lose their armor, or they are going against someone that is just way too beastly. This will hinder the RP, the banter, and everything that comes from conflict. All good RP comes from conflict. Make great AC armor accessible by everyone, and just have a few pieces that will only slightly tilt the scale and I promise you will notice a massive difference. The way people play and act will change. RP will be better, battles will be better and the player base will be better. 

Again, attack my character and who I am as a person as much as you want, but that will not change the landscape of the mud right now. Take a second and look at why all the great movies, stories and moments in peoples lives are remembered.. most of the time it's through overcoming obstacles and conflict. 

2 hours ago, sarcon said:

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting change.

The quote is: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

A small difference, but one I believe to be crutial.  Especially here.

I see the first reaction is to attack the person's character, very disappointing. Yes some may not enjoy @sarconbehavior but that's not the only point here.  There was a time when FL catered to various playstyles. There are heroes and villains. Aggressive and passive players. Trashy to the most honorable and all those inbetween. News flash, that's how many successful games work. There was a time where I despised guys like @Zrothum yet it still created rivalry and animosity and kept me logging in to find ways to beat them. 

Last night I dreamed of this scenario actually happening.

2nd to last player here: "I'm leaving FL for good because this and this..."

Last player here: "Git good, you suck."

Is this what we are?

Can we not just focus on the healthier points instead?

1 hour ago, Magick said:

The quote is: "Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results."

If we're getting technical about it, this isn't the definition of insanity or an accurate portrayal of the term's usage at all (which is primarily in legal contexts - you won't find "insanity" in the DSM), nor is it a quote from some genius like Einstein or Twain as it's commonly attributed - it's just a phrase that entered common use in the last few decades, with the first known instance of its use being a 1980 Hazelden Foundation pamphlet, and its true origin remaining obscure.

18 hours ago, tassinvegeta said:

Time it takes to get promo's to better compete.

IF he's playing watchers he can hardly complain tassin. He hasn't sat at less than T for more than 3-4 weeks ever ;) 

18 hours ago, Trick said:

He obtained his malforms by tricking newbs

God I was one of those newbs :D 😰

14 hours ago, mya said:

To name a few, skylauncher, cloaks of cursed recall, energy pills, refresh spellforge, cure light spell forge, cabal eq auto cures. Etc...

I'm on a crusade to get these addressed :)

• 2 weeks later...

What I will say about this thread may be a bit off topic, My biggest problem with this place is the disadvantage mage vs melee.  People think it does not exist, but I think it does.  While a Mage has to actually hit the enter command to put in Damage.  c 'flame arrow' 1 round lag.  Melee just has to wonder the world and get ridiculous hit dam with a trigger set to smoke a herb when they are dispelled, then sit back and watch while crazy amounts of AUTO DAMAGE get done, at 0 Cost to them, allowing them to just sit there and wait for there opponent to flee and murder.  Now wonder players just stack 90 90 hit dam and watch, why wouldn't they when they can.  All the damage is AUTO and it is dumb and an uphill battle for the Mage vs the Melee.  Pretty simple to watch a screen and wait,

Have fun.

Archived