Aabahran: The Speed Run Challenge

egreir

Recently as most of you have noticed there was a running joke that turned into a bit of a challenge. Level from 1 to 30, as fast as you can, using no outside interference. No parties, no equipment you did not kill for or buy yourself. Screenshot your start and finish time, or video record yourself and upload it! Timer starts as soon as you create the character and enter the mud school.

There are no in game rewards for this, and 90% of the playerbase won't care. But it's something different, competitive, and surprisingly a little fun!

Several people have done it already, and here is the current record for you to beat, brought to you on the official Aabahran youtube!

(4) #1 Speedrun 1-30 - Zrothum (56:31) - YouTube

So you’d rather I just not login at all instead of finding fun and interesting reasons to login? Sometimes the current state of the game is boring and that’s no one’s fault but don’t blame players for finding other ways to find entertainment. If you’d rather us just not play then say that.

There are plenty of times when you login and you were the only person even online meaning there was nobody on before you, so to insult someone for logging in and doing something, anything, seems a little weird to me.

It’s not multi user when there are zero people online at times. The speed run challenge was just something quirky and fun that came about at random. A piece of content for the official YouTube came out of it. Whos to say it doesn’t attract a new player? Maybe they come for the speed run and stay for the awesomeness? Regardless. Players playing your game for any reason should be celebrated. Sad to see this response.  

I'll give my two cents from someone who frequently dips in and out of FL.  Lately, it just seems way to OOC.  With very little time spent on Discord, I know who plays everyone that logs in regularly.  And that takes a lot of the imagination out of the game (for me).  I probably put in close to 100 hours between Nov and Dec and haven't had the slightest urge to login over the past 3-4 weeks because it feels like the mystery is lost.  And this is despite immense IMM-work going on, and a great state of the game/code in general, I just dont like it when I know who's behind the mask.  After Aely, I stopped logging in to Discord and continued that trend when I returned.  However, there's a lot less info that makes its way to forum so Discord becomes a must.  Then you realize who plays who and the magic is gone :(

Thoughts?

2 hours ago, Anume said:

Where exactly did I insult you? I just stated facts.

If you have fun doing that, then do it, but it does not bring anything to others as your goal is not to interact but to single rank as fast as you can.

Well with all due respect that’s where you were wrong. It has brought something to others, just because you don’t see it or doesn’t bring anything to you doesn’t make you the authority on the subject. There has been tons of discussion and interaction in the community over this.Well with all due respect that’s where you were wrong. It has brought something to others, just because you don’t see it or doesn’t bring anything to you doesn’t make you the authority on the subject. There has been tons of discussion and interaction in the community over this.

• Implementor

Well, we can just agree to disagree then.

You do what's fun to you.

For me, this is way too ooc, and from my personal feeling does not really belong to a RP and pk enforced mud, if the goal is NOT to rp as that would take away time from speed ranking. It's more a shooter game mentality FOR ME.

That does not mean others may not enjoy doing this. I personally find it horrible.

3 hours ago, Anume said:

Well, we can just agree to disagree then.

You do what's fun to you.

For me, this is way too ooc, and from my personal feeling does not really belong to a RP and pk enforced mud, if the goal is NOT to rp as that would take away time from speed ranking. It's more a shooter game mentality FOR ME.

That does not mean others may not enjoy doing this. I personally find it horrible.

I understand what you’re saying. I do. But the flip side of this is when you log on and you’re then ONLY person on, everything you’re saying goes out the window.  Who are you gonna RP with? Who are you OOCing with? There are people bored with the game and this gives some of them a reason to log in. They aren’t hurting anyone. If anything they are helping everyone just simply by being logged in, I am more apt to stay logged in if I get on and there’s actually people online versus logging in only seeing myself and logging out.  Can you at least try to see where I’m coming from?

On 1/23/2021 at 1:54 PM, egreir said:

I understand what you’re saying. I do. But the flip side of this is when you log on and you’re then ONLY person on, everything you’re saying goes out the window.  Who are you gonna RP with? Who are you OOCing with? There are people bored with the game and this gives some of them a reason to log in. They aren’t hurting anyone. If anything they are helping everyone just simply by being logged in, I am more apt to stay logged in if I get on and there’s actually people online versus logging in only seeing myself and logging out.  Can you at least try to see where I’m coming from?

That's where YOU'RE coming from.  If I log on and I'm the only one on, I'll tough it out.  

The novelty of the speedrun made me cringe.  It's not what FL is.  Did anything interesting come out of it?   Yes, a video on power ranking, which a lot of people do.    Did it need to be a video?   I could have described the process in a few paragraphs.  I never saw the necessity in this.    

And everyone has an opinion on it.  It's an opinion, though, and this is a game that should remain fundamental to what it is because there isn't another one like this.   Even with all the changes and evolution, the enforced RP and PK constants have remained.   

Ethics don't go out the window just because no one is watching.  

Archived