A good mud client for an Apple computer

virr

So I have a friend who is curious about the game as I have talked about it and I have promised him, to show him what it's all about.

Many years ago, I worked with Apple computers. It was an interesting time as I am total Windows (and on occation Linux) person. I remember trying out a mud client called Rapscallion as I was very much into the game at the time. And Rapscallion was, to the extent that I could try it, a very good client.

So My friend, who is curious, has an Apple computer and I am trying now to find a good mud client for him. And what do I mean with good? Well, To easy be able to set simple triggers would be a good start.

I downloaded the first hit I got on Google  - Mudlet. A client for every platform. Very good, I thought and downloaded the windows version to try it out. But.. I couldn't for the life of me get a simple text high light going. Or a pick up/wield trigger when disarmed. And setting my numeric keypad to 8=north, 2=south and so on, was really complicated even if I a eventually made it. Maybe I'm stupid but Mudlet was definatly not written for the "common man".

So I asked an other friend, who told me that old software does not function on a modern Apple computer, to try if Rapsacllion is to old and it was.

So - a good mud client for an Apple computer that is easy enough to set simple triggers with? Who has advice to give?

Thank you in advance.

12 minutes ago, Erelei said:

Tintin++. 

I tried that on windows (as it also is made for several platforms) but it seemed only to have a text window. There were no buttons and no menyes. Did I dismiss it to fast?

No. Tried it again and it only had a text window. There were menys or buttons to be found at all. :(

• Implementor
28 minutes ago, virr said:

I tried that on windows (as it also is made for several platforms) but it seemed only to have a text window. There were no buttons and no menyes. Did I dismiss it to fast?

No. Tried it again and it only had a text window. There were menys or buttons to be found at all. :(

Quick Google search found me this (buttons).  I haven't looked for menus yet.

Yes, thank you, but this is not what I would call a simple mud client. My friend know fairly little about computers and even less about programing.

I guess what I am looking for is a client that has buttons/menys that says: "aliases", "variables", "triggers", "keys" and so on, meaning these buttons would fast get me into the sections of the software to set aliases, varibles, triggers and keys. And while there to easy be able to formulate a trigger/action like:

* disarms you and sends your weapon flying.
get 1.
wield 1.

• Implementor

If you want something more user friendly, you may have issues on the Mac side.  May.  I don't know.  I don't use Macs.

You can do MUDrammer, but that might be for iPhones alone.
Atlantis may help, but I haven't looked too deep into ease of use.
Mudlet is popular.

Worst comes to worst, your friend may be able to use the browser client on grapevine.haus until you find one that's agreeable.

https://grapevine.haus/games/ForsakenLands/play

• Implementor

If you or your friend don't want a robust client, the closest you can get on a Mac is Mudlet, I guess.

Tintin does some amazing things if you spend time playing with it. It's changed a good bit since I last played with it, and all for the better, too.

Type "#split 1 1 0 -140" for instance, and you got a scrolling area, a top bar, bottom input field, and a right text area to store/script triggers or #draw buttons.

• Immortal

I use Atlantis on my Mac and I like it.

It is fast and has the ability to do highlights, triggers and all the usual stuff (I'm sure Mudlet does as well).

It also has a "world target" system so you can easily change the targets of your PK aliases rather than having to do so manually.

6 hours ago, Lloth said:

I'm on the musket train. Very simple, fairly customizable. Also the record/replay function is so helpful when reviewing your PK. Real-time playback is neat.

Thank you, but not even Google can find anything about this client. Is it called musket train?

30 minutes ago, Lloth said:

Phone autocorrect. I meant mudlet. I've been meaning to redo the getting started tutorial, I can lump in a mudlet tutorial, too.

Well, I've gotten so far that I now understand how to highlight some word within a sentence although not the whole sentence, but that's not necessary. And I understand how to make an alias and how to preform a simple disarm trigger.

Now I have to figure out how variables work as I, on my old Zmud, use the wielding text to put the primary and secondary (or shield) in a variable so that the simple disarm trigger can pick up and wield the variable.

Trigger: You wield * (%w).
Variable: prim=%1

And then when disarmed:

get @prim
wear @prim

29 minutes ago, Mmm Coffee said:

You can always run Vmware Fusion on your Mac so you can run a windows virtual machine and install Cmud/Zmud.  That is what I do.

That would be great. But it's not my Mac. It's my friends. I doubt he's installed that and I doubt he knows how, but I shall ask.

Thank you!

7 hours ago, virr said:

Trigger: You wield * (%w).
Variable: prim=%1

And then when disarmed:

get @prim
wear @prim

Personally, I wouldn't do it that way. I wouldn't trust that trigger to use use the best keyword. You can set up an alias to ensure you get it right.

Alias: ^wield(.*)

Lua

main_weapon = matches[2]
send("wield"..main_weapon)

(Plus I think dual wielding would mess up your trigger.)

You might want to look at 

6 hours ago, myrek said:

Personally, I wouldn't do it that way. I wouldn't trust that trigger to use use the best keyword. You can set up an alias to ensure you get it right.

Alias: ^wield(.*)

Lua

main_weapon = matches[2]
send("wield"..main_weapon)

(Plus I think dual wielding would mess up your trigger.)

You might want to look at 

Thank you,

No as I use your technique for the dual wielding weapon:

Alias: du
dual %1
sec=%1

This way the variable @prim and the @sec are never mixed up as the text on dual wield also states "off hand". :)

Just throwing it out there, I actually started toying with my first ever aliases/variables and highlights in Mudlet this past weekend. Found what seems to be a fairly compact, easy-to-use system that also allows for things to be added on the fly, directly through the input window.

https://forums.mudlet.org/download/file.php?id=1885

Now all I need is a Mudlet friendly tick-timer and I'll be ready to move into the future with the rest of you.

Archived