Mudlet vs TinTin++

F-3000

In case someone has experience of them both or general knowledge enough to say, what are the benefits of one over the other? It's been something like 5 years since I last played, so I might be unaware of plenty of changes that TinTin++ has gone through. I probably would be rewriting the whole code even if I'd go for TT, so it really doesn't matter which I'd be using. I find Lua inspiring, as it seems more like other scripting languages, whereas TT uses it's own syntax and way of doing things. I still remember failing to do some things without PHP when I was writing it out of my scripts. Even though merely reading Mudlet's wiki page Manual:Scripting (with it's screenshots and promises) heavily turns my interest to Mudlet, I'd still be interested of hearing some voices (other than those in my head).

I'll chime in. I enjoy Mudlet. It's easy to get started with and fairly user friendly. So from a baseline perspective, it's quite simple.

I will also say there seems to be a steep learning curve compared to something like GMUD and MUSHClient. The custom features -- aliases, triggers, etc. -- don't have the newb friendly, "put this here to do this" feeling that they do in those other clients. BUT that said, it sounds like you know what you're doing with client scripting, so that shouldn't be an issue for you. In which case I would say Mudlet is probably a decent go-to. Also seems to be well supported and more adopted within the playerbase; I can think of 6-8 active players that use Mudlet. I can only think of one (Erelei) that uses TinTin++. So there's more folks to bounce script ideas off of within our playerbase.

I would also say mudlet. The ability to utilize GMCP and MSDP just makes it the best out there. It's also written in C++ so it's insanely fast. It also has open telnet support. So if there's a protocol you like that isn't available... Well. You can build it. I also like having a visual representation of functions and their effects, so the color-coded entry fields in the GUI are nice. It also supports MSP (Mud Sound Protocol). And while this currently does nothing with FL, I'd like it if we someday added support for it.

TinTin has a lot of these features as well, but... It's not as fast and much more difficult to get into.

Archived