Been a long two days

Imoutgoodbye

We got up at 3 am and made it to the hospital for check in at 5:30.  Mind you, we'd only had 4 hours of sleep. 

I'll keep this as short as I can.  She had two surgeries and they started at 8 am.  I waited in the parking garage for 13 hours after they took her for pre-op.  I had a consultation with both surgeons.   The first told me either the MRI hadn't shown the full size or the tumor had grown substantially.  They managed to remove most of it.  It was being sent to pathology to retest if it was really benign.  

Second surgeon said everything went fine with reinforcing and fusing the part of the spine the tumor had eroded and it had not attached to the lung plus he was able to remove most of what was left behind of the tumor. 

Except when I finally got to see her, it was the nurse who had to tell me they had to collapse a lung to complete a procedure.  I still don't know which surgeon because neither mentioned it.  So, she had to stay intubated the whole day and into the next.   Which broke my heart to see her like that.  

I called into work the next day and rushed down to see her.  She's improving and tonight they moved her out of ICU.  She's breathing without oxygen assistance.  As soon as both drainage tubes slow down, those can be removed (chest and back).   Then when Physical Therapy signs off on her walking strength I can bring her home.   

This didn't go the way it was supposed to at all.  

• Implementor

It's good to hear that she's doing well and that things appear to have went well.  Fingers crossed for it being benign.  So though things didn't turn out the way it was supposed to, it sounds positive overall.

I'm surprised to hear that neither surgeon mentioned collapsing a lung.  Did you question them to see why both failed to mention it?

11 hours ago, Kassieti said:

It's good to hear that she's doing well and that things appear to have went well.  Fingers crossed for it being benign.  So though things didn't turn out the way it was supposed to, it sounds positive overall.

I'm surprised to hear that neither surgeon mentioned collapsing a lung.  Did you question them to see why both failed to mention it?

That would require them returning a call or my wife seeing them.  Neither one has even checked in on her as far as we know

Archived