How did you hear about FL?

Xultantris

I started playing FL when Virigoth and Crypticant started it up from Abandoned Realms back 25 years ago?  As soon as I heard that it was starting from Abandoned Realms, I left that game and moved on over.  My brother Takeshi and I were some of the beta testers for when the game first opened up.

Did a stint as an Imm.  RL got in the way and I disappeared for about ten years.  Came back almost two years ago now.

My husband used to be into MUDs heavily.  He started up an account on the old forums and then got busy with work.  He used to tell me about it often when he played, so one day I decided to log into his forum account.    I started reading and enjoyed the community so I rolled a illithid psi and started playing.  That was way back in early 1.0 or something and I have been here ever since off and on.

Perhaps my favorite moments in FL were all about Thren.  It was a blast playing the old bards and having a constant bounty/people trying to either help, cure or kill me.  It was like the IMMs were drawing straws to see who got to pick on Thren next.  If was fun as hell.  I think there's a RP log of it.  For three hours that day, the IMMs picked something to torture Thren with.  It was hilarious, fun and took me forever to edit that log.  Then my comp died and by the time I got back in I wasn't herald leader anymore.

Came from AR about 20 years ago. I thought AR was great but once here, I never looked back.

And AR just came to me by chance. I was attending a programing class when someone talked about MUDs. Having heard about it, I asked him to show me. He refused, stating my life would be ruined.

As I had before played Dungeons and Dragon-like games, this answer did not sit well with me, and eventually another showed me how it was done. So I downloaded a mud client and scrolled the list of potential MUDs to play and Abandoned Realms came high on the list.

I know my first character was a dwarf warrior that made it to level 18 before death was around the corner. I got killed alot and that was in a time where Dark-Knights charm would also affect other players. So the Dark-Knight came and charmed me and then orderd me to kill the temple priest. Instant death and quite an experience hole.

Eventually I got better at playing and I did have a few great and successful characters on that MUD.

Oh and yes - it did ruin my life, for a time...

• Immortal
13 hours ago, virr said:

I know my first character was a dwarf warrior that made it to level 18 before death was around the corner. I got killed alot and that was in a time where Dark-Knights charm would also affect other players. So the Dark-Knight came and charmed me and then orderd me to kill the temple priest. Instant death and quite an experience hole.

This cracked me up, I can't even fathom someone doing that now even if charm person still worked on players. I'd be eating malformed weapons all day.

cast 'charm person' player
order player remove all
order player drop all
cleave player (which back then could have cleaved you in half, a one-hit kill.)

A friend of mine came home one day and was like "check this out."  This was back in mid 2000, I think a few short months after FL came out of beta.  Completely new to MUDs.

FL has ruined me as I haven't found a MUD yet to stand up to the bar that was set.

6 hours ago, Xultantris said:

This cracked me up, I can't even fathom someone doing that now even if charm person still worked on players. I'd be eating malformed weapons all day.

Well, let's just say that the player base wasn't as refined back then as it is today, at FL atleast.

I'm another one who came from AR shortly after FL got started. 

First memorable PK death: Some vamp got me and totally smoked my bags. I didn't even know there were vampires. Might have been my 1st or 2nd pinned character.

Favorite kill: I was a Savant invoker and had a Warmaster on the run. I predicted where they were going and got there first. Finished him with 1 hellstream as soon as he walked in the room. 

• Immortal

Love hearing all these stories! Also, that's a good idea @myrek

Adding to the list!

First memorable PK Death: I hit 30, met up with a human DK who wanted to "Show me something." Last thing I remember is *click*. The door locked, and he was a vampire soon after.

Favourite kill:  I was an inductee in a cabal and was getting completely messed up every time I logged in by an elder of the opposite faction. It was 100% luck I won. I attacked him in a room with one exit, his sanctuary dropped as soon as he missed a dirt kick. He fled too far and had to back track past me to an intersection out of the area. He must have panicked because sanctuary was never put back up. Ended him right there. He full looted me shortly after.

AND

Why do you keep coming back to FL? My reason is the thrill of of the hunt. Nothing gets your blood pumping like a battle you should lose and end up winning. Getting beaten bloody and yet getting away. Dying and dusting myself off to come back stronger. Building the bonds and relationships between the players and their characters, we're like a family here after so many years... With a few odd cousins.

Hmm!  First Memorable PK death: That was far too long ago!  Saisha 1.0 vs Takeshi 1.0.  Ogre Ranger vs Avian Ninja.  Sister vs Brother!  Was the first assassination and I thought I was doing pretty awesome with camouflage and thunderstorm.

Favourite kill:  Sialii!  J/k but ahmm.. I think I got Carioussus once on Kiyana.  Course he returned the favor ten times over.

Why do I keep coming back to FL?  Be it the sheer terror of running for your life or the RP, I would most definitely say the RP.  The occasional PK is fun, but I'd prefer not get a heart attack, especially now that we are advanced in years. 

My first Pkill?  I was on a drow ninja and was chilling with Tetsunai (sp?) in central commons.  In came some necro who was just sitting there for almost a day.  Tetsunai kept leaving the room and asking me if I was going to kill him or not.  I had a full study, so I killed him, looted the (curse of shandor?  I can't remember the name), then had to die to a bounty to let Tetsunai have it as it was too heavy for me to wield.

Most memorable Pkill was probably Myrtaal.  He was wrecking undeads left and right.  I was on my first lich, and he pretty much chased me all over.  But, I was setting him up and ran to the Ford.  He didn't notice I had enough grasps up on him, so he was so hungry for blood and I was at awful.  He saw me sitting there and came rushing in right into my Pword death.  Needless to say, he regarded Caesendara differently after that.  Still tried to kill me though, just played it MUCH safer.

I remember seeing one of my college friends playing a plan text game in the dorms. Curious I asked him about it. What I remember taking away from that conversation was how there were ninjas, dark-knights, and vampires, sooo cool! He was the Rat King Shaman of Syndicate at the time. And I was so fascinating how his stories were against other powerful and legendary players and stories. 

The Aabahran live trailer video was so cool but disappeared over the years :(

My first pk, I was hunting with others in the tomb of ancients. When some guy attacked us. I barely knew how to move around at that time and I was so nervous my shaking fingers made it even worse. I barely escaped and ran to the forest. Then slowly came to the realization that I somehow actually killed him lol.

Favorite kill: So hard to just choose one lol.

Why do I keep coming back to FL: Either because I'm the abused in a relationship who's a glutton for punishment... or its everything FL has built up over the years. The community. The thrill of high-risk high-reward in pk. The re-playability. The history. Being able to create and act out fascinating and unique characters. The journey and struggle of rising to the top in pk. 

I remember when I was ~16lvl paladin and barely walk the lands one dk killed me few times, so I've asked him to stop. He said he would stop if I turn away from my faith. I've accepted and.... bam! No spells! :)

My favorite kill was in the time when Sirant turned bad. I've managed to kill Despiser's avatar ninja, who turned evil with Sirant. Was grand!

Archived