Regional/Small Chain Restaurants

Pieman

I travel a bunch for work, and I don't always have time to eat at super nice restaurants on the go. So what are some either local or regional chain restaurants in your area that you love?

One for me would be Schlotzsky's. It's a Midwest and Texas regional sandwich shop with absolutely killer sourdough rolls and house brand chips.

Even though there's none near me, I will always say Tim Hortons. I'm always pumped to travel to Canada and get some Timmy's.

I boycott Tim Hortons ever since I had a really bad customer service experience. I ordered a maple bacon breakfast wrap once, and they gave me a sausage wrap instead. I only noticed after I took a big bite out of it. So I went back to the counter and informed them of their error. The sausage wrap was also like $0.50 cheaper since the maple bacon one was a time limited special item. Anyway I said I would like to have the breakfast wrap I ordered, and they said ok we will correct the mistake, just hand over that sausage wrap. I said, 'this sausage wrap that I have started eating?" They said yes. I asked what they were going to do with it and they said throw it in the garbage. I said that seems like a waste of food, after all it is not my fault you messed up the order. The manager came over and said I could either keep the sausage wrap and go back to my seat, or give it to them to throw out and then get the maple bacon wrap. I ultimately settled for trading what I didn't order for what I did order but I was appalled at the way they handled it. I felt awful that they had given me a choice between getting what I ordered in exchange for wasting food, or keeping what I didn't order... I have never been back to any Tim Hortons since then and I never will go to another one again.

6 minutes ago, Manual Labour said:

I felt awful that they had given me a choice between getting what I ordered in exchange for wasting food, or keeping what I didn't order... I have never been back to any Tim Hortons since then and I never will go to another one again.

Most places in the US this is actually a health code violation. Once the item enters the possession of the customer they cannot take it back. It may also be a health code violation there too.

I don’t go to Tim Hortons either. But for a very different reason.

I ordered a BLT sandwich on my lunch break a few years ago and it was right across the street from where I worked, so I walked over and waited in line. I shuffled to the left as you do and the lady at the counter handed me a bag, I went and sat down and opened it up, and it was a grilled cheese sandwich. I was starving and not an overly picky eater, so I ate it anyway but didn’t notice the glares another guy was giving me. Apparently they gave me his food, and I sat in front of him and ate it. Only realized what happened when I overheard him complain about it and they both looked at me. I’ll never go back out of embarrassment.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so there are not just " a few" - perk of living in LA.

Let's see...

Phillipe's  - hands down best french dip on the planet earth. Not even France does it better. Kinda close to DTLA, but far enough away you won't off yourself before you get there.

Sonorita's - Santa Monica/Culver City area. Best tacos I have ever had. Order the Al Pastor, thank me later.

The Halal Guys - Street vendor turned small chain. Should tell you how good it is. 

Please don't eat at In-N-Out. You'll hear a lot of my fellow transplants swear by it... but honestly it's just super mediocre. There are way better options.

If you like Korean BBQ, basically anywhere in K-town. Just drive down 6th street and you'll see entire stretches of back to back to back BBQ joints, all of them are good. But the best in my opinion is Jeong Yuk Jeom. 

If you like Thai food, Malee is pretty great. I love Thai food, and I will literally get in my car and drive an hour and a half, one-way, just to eat there, rather than any of the dozens of Thai restaurants much closer to me. It's a bit out of the way of most travel, it's closer to Long Beach, but 10/10 definitely recommend.

It's becoming a lot less regional these days, but if you've never had Raising Cane's, try it. They literally only do one thing: Chicken Fingers. On the fast food grading scale, it's kind of hard to beat their chicken. I've ate there a LOT back when I was traveling for the military, and I never once bit into a piece of their chicken and had it taste bad, dry, or chewy. 

Archived