Paladins.

mya

Toning Paladins is is easy. The backbone of the class is strong but for years they been getting worse and worse comparable with everyone else.
15 years ago, Paladin was one of the VERY limited possibilities to get Max luck giving them a big advantage. Now with lucky perk and new EQ, I can get it on every character/class. I could summon mobs who would assist me in combat vs evils. Getting the consumables that Paladins get for free was a lot harder.

Proposed fixes:

1.  Give them more weapons.
  2. - flails
  3. - spear & daggers
  4. Kick
  5. Extend Goliath duration to a duration comparable with a stable horse ~160 hours.
  6. Remove dismount from vamp thrust.
  7. Remove isolation from heroism. Just check for followers before rescue+charge.
  8.  Rebalance flamestrike. Either make it a consistent damage spell or a consistent blind spell. Pre-changes Pal vs neutral was hard. Post, I won't even bother. Either he is a newbie or I'll just log out.
  9. Give Paladins a way to "mark", or high chance "faerie fire" thieves/Rangers. It's completely ridiculous fighting vs them.
  10. Bless arms. (Not holy weapon, but the cleric prayer is a nice minor boost. weapon bless + -15 AC for One god, which has the best bless)

Removing pet restrictions and them having a way to mark hidden, would allow them a very niche spot in Tribunal. For once, a cabal would be sinergetic with them.

Other threads:

I think we can update the whole class instead of just sticking to a broken template and adding some shinies. Now, I have no idea where I'd place these in terms of level unlocks, or even really a sliding scale of power, as that would largely depend on staff opinion and the opinions of those that like goodie RP enough to play one. But hopefully something neat can be made out of any of my drivel.

Vow:

A way of doing paths for paladins. Could be something like...

Vow of Protection: More defensive build. Opens up more damage mitigation abilities. For example, increasing AC while in combat, based on the enemy's level, up to a cap based on the paladin's level. Or maybe bonus proficiencies for defenses. Or maybe even a resist chosen on use that lasts for X hours with a Y hour cooldown.

Vow of Retribution: More offensive build. Opens up a more melee-oriented path that can consecrate a chosen weapon. Could get something like the ability to change the damage type to holy. Maybe give them bonus to polearms and two-handed spears somehow (like flat proficiency or a damage proc while wielding a polearm or two-handed spear -and yes, this would necessitate giving them spears as weapons). Could even see them getting a form of smite, a ramping damage skill that increases in damage each time its used within a small window of time, to a cap.

Vow of Piety: A more spell oriented build. Could give them higher flamestrike damage (more consistent), an immunity to blasphemy, or at least resistance to it, and maybe a new spell with different effects based on religion.

Vow of Heroism: A mounted combat build. Maybe they get bonuses while mounted, for instance their charge tramples their target, dealing extra damage based on level/damroll/carry weight. Could even give them a free combat round, similar to minotaur with axes, but only one round, and not guaranteed. Maybe give them trip immunity while mounted, and an extra size to account for the horse. Finally, could see them getting the ability to wield a polearm and a shield together, but with penalties (like losing an attack count), but only while mounted. 

Don't want to argue with the boss, so I will have to roll up a paladin because I'm sure that I've gotten disappointed because of that feature beeing removed the last two paladins I played.

To clarify - this was discussed in a PK-log I posted some time ago.

What I'm talking about is that mounted charged does more damage every time it's used, even within the same tick.

The post contains an example where I pulled that of at the end.

Archived