Cheating at a game of dice

Kassieti

• Implementor

You tell Sialii 'You have to save me.'
Sialii tells you 'What do you mean?'
You tell Sialii 'This boredom is a slow and insidious death. It's sucking all life out of me.'
You tell Sialii 'You wouldn't be up for a game of dice and a bottle of rum, would you?'
Sialii tells you 'You've piqued my interest, sugah.'
You tell Sialii 'I better hope so. It's not like there's a bunch of people you're supposed to murder right now, is there?'
Sialii tells you 'Nothing that can't wait.'
You tell Sialii 'You know Aerin's Tavern, yes?'
Sialii tells you 'Ah do.'

Aerin's Shipwreck Tavern
  Under the watch of the Tribunal and the ownership of longtime matron
Aerin, this once dilapidated tavern has become a popular site for citizens
and visitors alike.  Themed as a wrecked pirate ship, the area is
illuminated only by cupped torches filled with glowing embers; two torches
mounted on each of the wooden walls.  Peering through the iron-framed
circular windows on the eastern end of the tavern, one may see the expanse
of the Miruvhian shore.  Inside, the walls are adorned with portraits of
fishermen with their catch and seamen preparing to set sail.  Wooden
bench-tables are spread about the room, upon which visitors go about their
leisurely activities.  A large iron-wrought anchor decoratively hangs on the
wall above Aerin's bar.  

[Exits: north west]
     A cocktail table is here, surrounded by a few wooden chairs.
A drunken sailor is here, staring into his empty tankard.
(Dark Aura) Aerin the Shipwreck Matron tends to her bar here.

A chilly fog slinks over the city from the sea bringing with it the smell of brine.

Sialii curtseys gracefully.

Mirielda is perched at one of the chairs over by the cocktail table. She looks up when Sialii arrives, beaming a sweet smile at Sialii.

You say '-Finally- some company.'

Sialii strolls over to the table and helps herself to a chair.  'A pleasure to meet you, sugah.'

Sialii sits down and rests on a cocktail table.

'I know,' Mirielda replies with a mischievous wink. 'A pleasure to meet you, too.'

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'So ah, do you come here often?'

Mirielda nods her head. 'I practically live here.'

You say 'I'd say it's the best tavern in Miruvhor, but it's not like there's a wide selection to pick from.'

Sialii nods her head and shrugs, 'A little dirtier than Ah grew up in.'

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'There was another. It's since burned down, though.'

Mirielda bobs her head in another nod at Sialii. 'Either way, the drinks are good. Way better than what that simpleton over in Maelbrim serves.' Clearly, she is not much of a fan of Tamara's booze.

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Ah'm not normally one to drink alcohol except on the rarest of occasions, so Ah'll have to take your word for it.'

Mirielda says to Sialii, 'Well, this certainly is the rarest occasion of all day.' She turns to Aerin and orders a bottle of rum, pouring two glasses and offering one to Sialii. 'To meeting new people, mhm?'

You give a bottle of rum to Sialii.

Sialii raises the bottle, 'To meeting new people.'

Sialii drinks rum from a bottle of rum.

You drink rum from a bottle of rum.

Mirielda takes a sip of her own rum, then sighs contently. 'So! Are you up for a game of dice?'

You say 'NOothhIingh LIKEh aa biiT aoF GahhMmMblIiNng toOo liivennn uP a GloOmMy DAhy.'

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Ah'm certainly willing.'

Sialii agrees absolutely.

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Hold on a moment.'

A stevedore yells 'Help! I'm being attacked by Sialii!'

[...]

Sialii gropes at a drunken sailor to drain his vitality!
Sialii's touch mauls a drunken sailor.
A drunken sailor is DEAD!!

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Now, about that game of dice?'

Mirielda tilts her head at a slight angle, peering straight at Sialii. 'Right. Do you prefer any specific set of rules?'

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Ah have none.'

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Did you have one in mind?'

You say 'My favourite is Liar's Dice, but Aerin's banned me from playing that here.'

Sialii chuckles politely.

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Ah also think that it works better with three.'

Mirielda glances over at Aerin, wrinkling her nose in displeasure, then shifts her focus back to Sialii. 'We can play a game of Sewer's Dice, if you want to.'

Supposedly invented by the children huddling in the city's sewers - quick and simple rounds, perfect to make some bets.

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Ah don't believe Ah've heard of that rule set.  Do explain.'

You say 'The rules are pretty simple: each player rolls two dice. If you roll a pair, you get to reroll, but you have to keep the new result. Whoever rolls the highest wins.'

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Simple enough indeed.'

'We'd have to bet, of course,' Mirielda continues, a grin blooming at the edges of her lips. 'Five thousand coins per round?'

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Ah think Ah can make that happen.'

You say 'Do you want to go first?'

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Sure, why not?'

With a brief shake Sialii rolls her bone die.
The die stops on 4!

The die stops on 4!

Sialii picks up her dice and rolls again.

The die stops on 2!

The die stops on 2!

Sialii raises an eyebrow.

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Third time the charm?'

Sialii collects the dice once more and tries again.

The die stops on 2!

The die stops on 2!

You say 'What are the odds of that, huh.'

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Not high, that's for sure!'

Sialii grabs the dice once more and tries yet again.

The die stops on 5!

Sialii looks at the die in her hand.

The die stops on 2!

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Seven.'

Sialii scoops the dice up and says, 'Finally.'

'A valiant seven,' Mirielda chirps, smiling at Sialii. She gathers her own dice into a felt-lined cup, shakes it a couple of times, and lets the dices roll.

With a brief shake you roll your bone die.
The die stops on 6!

The die stops on 1!

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'A tie.'

Mirielda says, excitement in her voice, 'Go again.'

Sialii casually tosses the dice onto the table.

The die stops on 1!

The die stops on 2!

Sialii frowns.

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Traitors.'

Mirielda claps her hands together in delight, clearly satisfied with the result. 'Well, you tried your best.'

Sialii collects the dice, frowning.

The die stops on 4!

The die stops on 4!

Mirielda says, 'I'll keep the eight.' Clearly, rolling second has its benefit. Perhaps that is why she had suggested Sialii go first?

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Ah, so the rerolling isn't mandatory.  Good to know.'

Sialii gives you 5000 gold.

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Round three?'

You say 'I said you get to reroll, not that you -have- to.'

You say 'Round three!'

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Indeed you did.'

The die stops on 6!

The die stops on 6!

Sialii smirks.

Mirielda mutters something unpleasant under her breath, reaching for her bottle of rum and gulping down another mouthful.

You drink rum from a bottle of rum.

The die stops on 4!

The die stops on 5!

Sialii collects the dice with a twinkle in her eye, 'Oh, so close.'

'Beginner's luck!,' Mirielda exclaims with feigned enthusiasm. 'You're doing well!'

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'One each is beginner's luck?'

You say 'Doouhvble sIiksEss cjehrtahhiNnly are.'

Mirielda asks Sialii, 'How about we raise the stakes? Twenty thousand per round?'

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Ah doubt me never playing this game before has little to do with where the dice land, sugah.'

You say 'RighhT, RiIgHht.'

'We can do that, but aren't you forgetting something?' Sialii says holding out her hand.

You give Sialii 5000 gold.

Sialii nods, 'Your turn.'

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Ah can't go first all the time.'

Mirielda almost looks like she is going to object, then just nods, smiling amiably at Sialii. 'Fine, fine.' She gathers her dices and then... there is a subtle, inconspicuous movement with her left hand.

Aerin the Barkeep yells 'Help! I'm being attacked by Sialii!'
Sialii gropes at Aerin the Barkeep to drain her vitality!
Sialii's touch injures Aerin the Barkeep.
Aerin the Barkeep has been paralyzed!

[[...]]

Sialii has fled!

Sialii's asphyxiation scratches Aerin the Barkeep.

Mirielda shakes her cup, and unleashes the dices. They dance and bounce and tumble, then both wobble a bit, before settling down. They both show sixes.

Sialii smiles sweetly at Aerin.

You are fairly sure that Mirielda is cheating.

Sialii slams her hand on the table, making the dice jump and watching them fall ... still on sixes.

Mirielda exclaims excitedly, 'Twelve!'

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Having trouble breathing, Aerin?'

Sialii's asphyxiation scratches Aerin the Barkeep. [[ And many, many more of these edited out. ]]

Sialii smiles sweetly at the barkeep.

Mirielda also looks over to the barkeep, then back to Sialii. 'It is your turn to roll.'

With great drama Aerin the Barkeep claws at her neck, turns blue and falls unconscious.

Sialii closes her eyes momentarily.
A nymph arrives suddenly.

A nymph yells 'Help! I'm being attacked by Sialii!'
Sialii gropes at a nymph to drain her vitality!
Sialii's touch mauls a nymph.
A nymph has been paralyzed!

Sialii's dispel good *** DEMOLISHES *** a nymph!
A nymph is DEAD!!

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Saving Aerin for a snack later...'

Sialii tears the corpse of a nymph to pieces, feeding hungrily!

Sialii burps and wipes off a bit of viscera from her lips.  'Sorry about that.  Where were we?'

Mirielda gestures at her pair of dices, each still showing a six. 'I rolled a twelve. Lucky me.'

You say 'And just as we raised the stakes, too.'

What a coincidence.

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'So you did.'

Sialii takes a swig of her drink and sets it on the table, accidentally knocking the dice onto the floor and watching what they come up as.

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Oops!  Clumsy me.'

Mirielda was definitely using a pair of loaded dice, both of them tumbling and rolling before finally settling with that slight wobble again: two sixes again.

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'What are the odds?'

The die stops on 5!

The die stops on 5!

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Hmm.'

The die stops on 4!

The die stops on 3!

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Seven.  Seems you've won this time.'

Mirielda ducks down to the floor, gathering up her dices and then seating herself in her chair again.

Mirielda says, 'Seems I've won again.' She looks quite pleased with herself. Smug, one might say. 'Pay up, darling.'

Sialii hands over the gold.  'As we've just met, Ah've doubt Ah've told you about the lovely Lord Rathbone, did Ah?'

Sialii gives you 20000 gold.

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'He had a thing for dice, too.'

Absently, Mirielda asks, 'Lord Rathbone?'

Sialii nods.

You say 'Never heard of him.'

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'A noble from the Elven Kingdom.  Loved his wine to such a degree that he was portly and had a bad case of gout.'

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Your roll, sugah.'

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'It was about fifty years ago.  Horrible gambling addiction, and none too subtle with it either.'

Mirielda's features arrange themselves into a thoughtful expression. She almost seems uncertain. Then she nods her head, shaking her loaded dices, and once more sending them onto the table.

Of course, the result is quite predictable. A pair of sixes for Mirielda again.

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'One day, he found himself deep in debt.  Owed the Merchants a considerable sum of money and so he took extreme measures.'

Mirielda smiles sweetly and says, 'I suppose luck just didn't favour him, mhm?'

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'He went to the shrine of Chance to see if he could turn his luck, or so he claims.  The dice began to favor him and the money started to roll in.'

Sialii nods.

The die stops on 3!

Sialii frowns.

The die stops on 5!

Sialii gives you 20000 gold.

Mirielda folds her arms across her chest, tucking her hands just below her armpits.

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Seems he managed to pull quite a tidy sum from one particular individual.  Half a million he managed in the end.'

Did Sialii just spot Mirielda palm her loaded dices? It seems she changed them for her regular pair again.

Sialii collects her dice from the table and continues her story.  'But there was something to this one that he was taking for all they were worth.'

You say 'Some people don't know when to stop, I suppose.'

Ah, sweet, delicious irony.

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Greedy or desperate.'

Lord Rathbone, of course. Not me.

Mirielda asks, 'I take it he paid the Merchants back what was owed?'

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'He did, and the merchants don't much less care where the gold comes from, so long as it comes.'

Sialii motions to the table suggesting another round.  'This person he was swindling though had quite the eye.  They noticed that there was something funny with the dice the lord was playing with.'

Sialii rests an elbow on the table, chin in palm, and taps the side of her face with a finger, 'Can you guess what the person did?'

Mirielda arches a slender eyebrow, her pupils dilating just ever so slightly. It is a hint of nervousness that quickly fades, her easy-going confidence and swagger quickly returning to her. 'I've got a fairly good guess you are going to tell me, darling.'

You say 'Did he go running to the Tribunals, perchance?'

Sialii grins and speaks triumphantly, 'They didn't do anything to the lord!'

Mirielda blinks her eyes.

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'The lord celebrated, of course.  Half a million and debt free tends to be something one celebrates about.'

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Hours and hours, the party went on while the sucker that lost money sulked out of the tavern.'

You say 'That was the strangest anecdote I have heard in a long time. I thought you had some moral lesson attached to the end of all this.'

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'It's weird, right?'

'I suppose winning is winning,' Mirielda says, a lopsided grin stretching across her face.

Sialii nods.

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Your roll.'

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Unless you want me to go first this time.'

You say 'This is probably going to be the last round for me. How about we change the stakes one final time, mhm?'

Sialii continues, 'The story doesn't end there, though.'

Sialii nods.

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'The lord went home afterward and found the door slightly ajar.  Cautiously, he steeped inside and there, he found a pyramid in the middle of his hallway.'

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Stakes?'

Mirielda nods her head at Sialii again, another pleasant smile passing over her lips. 'If I win,' she starts, fluttering her eyelashes. 'You owe me a kiss. If you win, you get all the money you lost back.'

Sialii drinks rum from a bottle of rum.

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Oh, my.  Ah do like these stakes.'

You say 'I will go first, then.'

Mirielda reaches for her cup and pours a pair of dices into it. She shakes, and shakes, and shakes, before slamming it down on the table. She just leaves it there, concealing the result of her roll.

Mirielda says mischievously, 'Your turn.'

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'The building material for this pyramid was the heads of everyone in the manor.  The adults making up the bottom, of course.  Not only the servants, but those of his sisters and brother.'

Sialii rolls her dice openly, 'Toward the top were his nieces and nephews.  The crown being the youngest of the lot, naught but a week old.'

The die stops on 6!

The die stops on 6!

Sialii gets the head of Thergrum from a bloody bounty bag.

Sialii gets the head of Aegreus from a bloody bounty bag.

Sialii puts the heads on the table next to her double sixes and smiles, 'Ah had some left over.'

A point has been made.

Mirielda exhales a defeated sigh, staring in disbelief at the roll that Sialii just made. 'By Tongar's hairy tits. That's not -fair-.'

Mirielda lifts her gaze, her vibrant, green eyes finding Sialii's own, staring into them. 'I suppose some people just are sore losers, huh?' Perhaps a glimmer of self-insight, or maybe a reaction to the story just told?

Mirielda reaches for her cup, and lifts it, unveiling her own roll...

The die stops on 6!

The die stops on 5!

Sialii bats her eyes as she peers around the heads towards the dice, somehow still dripping blood.  'Ooh, so close!'

'-Not- -fair- -at- -all-,' Mirielda whines, sticking out her lower lip in a sullen pout. She grabs her bottle of rum and hurls it into a nearby wall, glass shattering loudly.

You drop a bottle of rum.
A bottle of rum shatters into a million pieces!

Sialii collects the heads from the table, peers over at Aerin's unconscious body and shrugs.

Sialii puts the head of Aegreus in a bloody bounty bag.

Sialii puts the head of Thergrum in a bloody bounty bag.

You give Sialii 45000 gold.

Sialii gives you 5000 gold.

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'We tied the first rounds.'

Sialii speaks slowly, drawling out her words, 'Still, you were a good sport, Ah think.'

Sialii pecks you on the cheek, how sweet!

You say 'You know what, this is insufferable.'

Mirielda rises to her feet and storms out of the tavern.

Sialii peers after you, 'Feisty one.  Ah like that.'

You have escaped from the Forsaken Lands.

• Like 1